This 1909 posse sure liked the 94 Winchester
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: This 1909 posse sure liked the 94 Winchester

Member #
    Liked
    12795 times

This 1909 posse sure liked the 94 Winchester

In the book "Willie Boy, a Desert Manhunt" there are many pictures of the 1909 Mojave Desert posse that trailed him and it looks like every one of them is carrying an 1894 Winchester, mostly carbines. Here's just a couple of the pictures in it. Willie Boy stole a freind's 94 .30-30 carbine and unfortunately proved himself to be an excellent long range shot with it. Pictured is the casing from his last cartridge where he shot himself. He's laying by his carbine. It's interesting how just about every picture of a Texas Ranger in this period shows them with '95 carbines, but this California posse favored 94s. Some of the posse were not lawmen but ranchers, but even the Sheriff and his deputy has a 94. A gun I'd be content with. Willie Boy was not the over glamorized guy portrayed in that ridiculous Robert Redford movie.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9636 times
    I just watched that movie yesterday. Didn't realize that there was a real 'Willie Boy'.
    krag96, SHOOTER13, WVCOLT and 1 others like this.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Wonder if they had a rack of them in the local Ranger/Sheriff office, "for official use only"
    krag96, SHOOTER13, WVCOLT and 2 others like this.
    Cal38RF

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2393 times
    I imagine the 1894 Winchester was quite a marvel the first few decades after it's birth from the fertile mind of John Moses Browning. It was slim like an 1892, lightweight and carried well, had more range and power than either an 1873 or an 1892, and didn't give the tell-tale smoke signal of the earlier black powder cartridge rifles ammunition. The 1894 Winchester was and still is a dandy rifle, capable of most chores required of a long arm.
    jrm, SHOOTER13, WVCOLT and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12795 times
    The Indian tracker who was in the thick of things when ambushed by Willie Boy appears to have a carbine scabbard on his cartridge belt. The guy smiling is the the Banning, CA. constable heading the posse (guess Robert Redford played him) with his deputy brother to his left. The movie couldn't show "Willie Boy" shooting his kidnapped girlfriend because she couldn't keep up with him. That would make him unsympathetic. And the made up suicidal shootout with an unloaded gun against Redford looked more cinematic and noble than him just shooting himself. Willie boy had amazing endurance crisscrossing the desert on foot 600 miles eluding the posse.

Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 01-12-2020 at 09:30 AM.
    krag96, SHOOTER13, WVCOLT and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2393 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    The Indian tracker who was in the thick of things when ambushed by Willie boy appears to have a carbine scabbard on his cartridge belt. The guy smiling is the the Banning, CA. constable heading the possee (guess Robert Redford played him) with his deputy brother to his left.

I would carry a 1940 vintage 94 hunting in bad weather and would at times slip the carbine through my belt like, "Mexican carry" revolver if I needed both hands free for climbing or dragging a deer.
    SHOOTER13, WVCOLT, Ugly and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6065 times
    I've got an old '94 I inherited when my granpa died in '58 that he carried when he came to Az in 1906,it's seen some hard use.The cal. marking on the bbl. says .30 WCF then just behind that just in front of the receiver is a small paragraph that says "nickle steel bbl. especially for smokeless powder".He was well known in the Yuma,Somerton area for his tracking abilities,when someone went missing he was hired to find them & usually did,he was known by the Az Rangers that worked in that area & they used him once in awhile.When he died the Az Sun newspaper in Yuma wrote a nice article about him along w/a picture of him standing in front of his blacksmith shop in 1909 which I also got w/the rifle.When we found the rifle in his closet it had 3 rds. of silver tip in the magazine.Something else I got was his old walnut rocking chair that he kept from way back then & always sat in,I have no idea how old it is.

Member #
    Liked
    12473 times
    That thar posse had some fine taste in hardware...

.30 WCF Top Eject { Circa 1977 }

WVCOLT, krag96, Ugly and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4462 times
    Yes... What a gun it was, and still is by the way. !!!!!!!
    SHOOTER13, krag96, Ugly and 3 others like this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    9557 times
    I bought this 94 new in 1956 when I was fifteen. It was my first centerfire rifle. I have many other rifles but this one still remains my favorite. I also have this 95 carbine in 30 army. When I bought it the rear sight was missing. I put on a different sight that fit but the hand guard wont fit over it. The rifle did come from Arizona. I like to fantasize it might have been a Az ranger rifle. Who knows? The 92 44 wcf came off a reservation in the Dakota`s made in 1902. It was stolen off a wall in my house along with many other guns in 2003.

WVCOLT, SHOOTER13, krag96 and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links