• 2 Post By LeverActionBill
  • 4 Post By LeverActionBill
  • 2 Post By Some guy

Thread: Working with Ivory

Member #
    Liked
    211 times

Working with Ivory

Often in the last year I have been a member I have read a lot of the same questions , advise , misconceptions , knowledge shared , needs , wants , who does , who doesn't , I could go on but you get the idea . I'm talking about the subject of working with ivory as a medium for grips . When I share a picture or two it is to share just a glimpse of a part of a process (long). I know making of grip with other mediums is a lot of the same process and well admired by a lot here and elsewhere on the web . Back to ivory . Can you see a post that is added to , to keep the shared information of working with ivory grip making in one spot ? This is me mind you , when a subject is brought up here it soon gets cluttered with , Here is mine , then we all see pictures of holstered pistols just for show (often the same we saw last week ),that have no bering on the starting subject matter then the post gets buried in a day or two . There are more than a couple here that have very good knowledge working with ivory of all type and if you do a search the information is so scattered both here and the whole web system you can spend a morning looking and weeding. Back to the matter again . It would be nice to have a collective spot (none cluttered), wouldn't you think ? I recognize this would have but a small following here but it could catch the eye of others around the www .

Thanks for burning your morning with me
    Last edited by Some guy; 01-12-2020 at 12:17 PM.
    Spirit likes this.
    All injuries to pride are self inflicted.

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Me again , All the same could be said for fine folks who put a build on here to share out of generosity, both time and money.

Member #
    Liked
    16541 times
    I think you're talking about a "sticky" thread. There are several on ivory, stock making etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    This is a start for me . Thank you Rick , my name is Tom. You , I have seen in the past talked about lines of ivory of different type and pictures . I have seen black and white photos but color ones would be a good ad on. I have seen your scrimshaw art and they bring me back to always wishing I had the touch to be an artist . For yourself , would the time and effort be worth it to teach and show the ins and outs of some ivory work ? I could pitch in some , cutting , filling , sanding .I realize the audience is small but passing on valuable information would cut down on redundant searching not just here but all the people else were. Mind you , not like my wife that volunteers me for in law projects , is this something that would fly or like before said , too small an audience . It would be of interest to more than me to see a start of a project that others take . Thanks for the info . I saw the sticky on ivory and I'll have a look for stock making.
    Take care,
    Last edited by Some guy; 01-12-2020 at 12:20 PM.
    CHIZ likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    I'm lost . I didn't find a sticky on stock making let alone one about working with ivory. Any body here have ivory grip making projects they have done ?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    354 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    I'm lost . I didn't find a sticky on stock making let alone one about working with ivory. Any body here have ivory grip making projects they have done ?
    +1...The only ivory sticky i see is "Ivory?" and its just a giant photo stream of everyone showing off their stocks. Its pretty fantastic, but has no information on sourcing the material or actually creating the grip stocks.

I'd love to see a sticky or thread started on the actual craftsmanship of working with the different ivories. Elephant VS mammoth VS walrus, etc... How to choose a tusk...What tools to use and how to trace and cut the raw material...How to stabilize...how to carve, polish, etc...
    Some guy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4382 times
    Ivory, whether it be Elephant or Walrus is fairly easy to work with.
    It sands easier than you’d imagine and it’s density is consistent, so once your “hand” attains the required pressure to remove material it’s easy going.
    Of all the other material I prefer it. It doesn’t chip like pearl, it doesn’t fray like horn and it doesn’t give an errant quick cut like many woods.
    It does smell bad. I lease part of my building to a hairdresser and she says “gag” if I’m using my belt-driven sander to form a piece. It’s not toxic or dangerous like pearl (shell).
    Like anythung, it’s easier to remove s bit than add more. ;-)
    CHIZ and ei8ht like this.
    All SAA work. Check out my webpage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    4382 times
    Here’s a unique project I had the pleasure of doing years ago.
    My material was a piece of genuine, legally harvested ivory that was a documented 55 years old.
    I like different. I like anomalies. I like being creative.

My material had a “blem”, damage from something and I wanted to incorporate that damaged area in the final project design. To me, it was my way to pay respect to such a magnificent, intelligent animal. I wanted to, in some way carry on his/her legacy.

People don’t realize just how thin tooth material is.
    Judiciously I measured, drew and finally cut into the material knowing I could ruin any chance of actually making a usuable set of grips. I did it right...I got two beautiful one-piece grips from the material.

Here’s a couple shots I took. And finished product.
    The grips on the gun with the blem weren’t yet tightened so they aren’t tight.
    And no...these are not for sale at any price.
    Last edited by LeverActionBill; 01-17-2020 at 09:41 PM.
    CHIZ, MarkInTx, Some guy and 1 others like this.
    All SAA work. Check out my webpage.

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Thank you . I had no idea the upper part in the skull was so hollow . Pretty neat and good job . Others here talk about extensive work with all type of ivory over the years , it would be nice to see their technique on ground work to fitting Saa grips . Even a few pictures , like you's are well appreciated by many . Some have a chance , maybe once only in a life time , to make a set of ivory grips . Doing this by yourself ( kind of scary first time ) without input from others that say they have the know how or been there , maybe lighten and share . This stuff is getting almost as rare as a Mammoth its self . I like sharing , I'll do what I can if we put the information in one spot . PS , I'm still new to computers , hell , I still use a flip phone . Don't count on me as a start . Maybe someone that already runs website and has knowledge of cutting , shaping , from raw ivory like Lever Bills . Reminds me of the saying , everyone talks about the weather but nobody does anything about it . Thanks for the pics again man.
    CHIZ and ei8ht like this.

Sponsored Links