Does anybody understand the criteria for Transfer decisions?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Does anybody understand the criteria for Transfer decisions?

Member #
    Liked
    637 times

Does anybody understand the criteria for Transfer decisions?

I was delayed on every firearm purchase when I first began buying firearms. Let’s say my first 20. Then it stopped about 3 years ago and I was given “proceed” for around the next 50 firearms. This year, I’ve been delayed all 3 times.
    Most firearms have been colt revolvers and ruger 10/22’s. There are some others but nothing considered “assault” with high capacity mags..
    Ive never been convicted of a felony but did have a dwi over 20 years ago. I haven’t been arrested for anything else.
    My credit is good.
    Also, I was in the Army with a secret security clearance.

Does anybody know why I am delayed at times and then I’m a proceed?

I know I can get a upin and probably will some time but I’d like to know how they make a decision.
    Last edited by Biffjohanson; 01-14-2020 at 05:10 PM.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    855 times
    Do you mean delayed or reguire further review. If you are a veteran there is a second database that NCIS has to check (further review) but they do it in the same call so you usually get a proceed but it takes a minute or two longer. If you mean delayed as in a day or two, I am not sure what is happening. Certain State serve as NCIS background check point of contact for people in there own state which maybe has an effect if you live in one of those state. Or maybe your name is close to someone elses who is questionable. Do you provide your ss#?. You could try getting a Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN)
    Last edited by Colt1860; 01-14-2020 at 05:43 PM.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    If you have a common name it can delay approval as there are so many names to insure they have the correct “John Smith”. All it takes is one person with the same name that have a felony or other cause to be denied to slow everyone with that name from approval.
    deyomatic, victorio1sw and arjay like this.
    Don Spires

Patron Life NRA
    NMLRA CLA
    Tennessee Longhunters

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4546 times
    Biff just to eliminate the possibility of being a close match; either use your SSN or request a PIN number. That should eliminate a lot of questions.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I was denied once. After that, I started using my SS number and have had "good luck" since.

Billy

Edited to delayed. They never called back and I picked up the gun in 3 days.
    Last edited by BRK100; 01-15-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    637 times
    I give my ss# every time.
    I went to pick up my 2020 python today. I fill out every box on the transfer form including ss#. I fill it out exactly the same every time. I haven’t moved and my height or weight hasn’t changed even though I wish I could say it has. Anyhow, the ffl said I was delayed and I can pick up the python on Saturday unless they get a proceed beforehand. Just from past experience, they never call before the final day.
    victorio1sw and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4546 times
    Biff - I'd shoot for a personal pin number; if you get delayed after that I'd contact them and try to find out what causes your delay.

A funny story about identification - a friend of mine in Key West used to take an NA Meeting into the county jail. One night as he was getting ready to leave the Sergeant of the Watch said: Sorry but we can't let you leave; you have an arrest warrant and we need to hold you. My friend said hey you know me I've been here once a week for two years now with no problems. Sarge said I know but my hands are tied. My friend was adamant that it wasn't him; so the jail sent out a request for info with a photo of the person with the warrant...

So a while later the e-mail comes in with the identifiers: First, Middle, and Last Name - match; date of birth - match; ethnicity - Not! The person wanted was African-American; my friend was Caucasian! Oops! Sorry bud, have a good evening!

My friend was able to laugh about it but at the time he was really spooled up!
    denpython, ei8ht and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4586 times
    My brother did something when he was in the Navy and went before the judge etc. and the issue was supposedly put ot rest. So many years later after FL implemented their background check sometimes he get a conditional and he'd have to go back to pick up the firearm. He was never denied. When he finally decide to get his CWL the issue cam up but now he was able to find out what it was and what to do about it. He had to contact the county court where it happened and get the adjudication paper work and all is good.

It could possibly be because of the DUI, who knows it depends on where you live too I guess.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    562 times
    I have several friends that consistently get delayed. They have inquired with the FBI about getting a UPIN and have been told that UPIN's aren't issued just because you get delayed all the time. I do know someone who does have a UPIN because his twin brother used his name during a felony arrest. I can understand how that could cause some confusion with the authorities. Even with a UPIN, he still gets delayed on about 50% of his transactions.
    A "delay" is just that: a delay. A inconvenience for sure but nothing like a "denied". I know a couple of people who got "denied" and both were due to previous court proceedings that weren't cleared correctly. After going through the appeals process, they sometimes still get "delayed" and they were not issued a UPIN at the end of the process.
    I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to why you sometimes get an instant "approved" or "delayed". By the way, I'm an FFL and I'm just sharing some of my experiences with the process.
    Last edited by BARgunner; 01-14-2020 at 11:43 PM.
    ei8ht likes this.
    "When in doubt, empty the magazine!"

Member #
    Liked
    1684 times
    I have heard high security clearance from the military can cause this.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links