44/40 vs 45 Colt reliability in a 1873 reproduction rifles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 44/40 vs 45 Colt reliability in a 1873 reproduction rifles

Member #
    Liked
    663 times

44/40 vs 45 Colt reliability in a 1873 reproduction rifles

I know is a Colt forum, however there seems to be quite a few knowledgeable members of the Winchester 1873 on this forum. I have read or heard that 45 Colt cartridge is less reliable in the feeding of the round process vs the 44/40 cartridge in 1873 REPRODUCTION rifles. Is there any truth in this statement?

Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick45 View Post
    I know is a Colt forum, however there seems to be quite a few knowledgeable members of the Winchester 1873 on this forum. I have read or heard that 45 Colt cartridge is less reliable in the feeding of the round process vs the 44/40 cartridge in 1873 REPRODUCTION rifles. Is there any truth in this statement?
    I have never shot a 73 in .44-40. I have shot thousands of rounds through my Uberti 73 in .45 Colt. I use RNFP bullets and have zero issues. I shoot CAS and the only folks I see having issues are those that don't clean their rifles or those that don't watch their overall cartridge length short or long. You could post this same question on sassnet.com and get a great deal of more information.
    SavvyJack likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2791 times
    I have shot my reloads in Uberti '73 repros in both 44-40 and 45 Colt and have never noticed any feeding issues.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    666 times
    I have no problems with reliability shooting my Miroku 1873 Winchester in 45 Colt. I, too, shoot the RNFP bullets. Semi wadcutters will work, just pay attention to overall length.

Joe

Member #
    Liked
    7621 times
    Problems exist in blowback from straight wall cases...Some folks are not as diligent in routine cleaning and maintenance as highlighted in other threads. Then, there are those folks who try and manipulate the action for faster feeding and firing...Timing is important..
    Just because you own a screwdriver or Dremel, doesn’t mean everything has to come apart and be polished.
    Last edited by Kid Sopris; 01-16-2020 at 06:49 AM.
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    I’ve fired thousands of rounds of .45 Colt through my Uberti Henry in SASS competition as well as a bunch through my Uberti ‘73. The only issue I’ve encountered is the minor blowback Kid mentioned. It’s not anything you notice when shooting but a cleaning/maintenance issue as Kid said. It’s more pronounced with black powder loads but is still easily managed; just needs cleaning a bit sooner than a .44-40 would. And there are ways to minimize the issue. I shoot a lot of black powder loads. If you’re going to shoot smokeless exclusively it’s really a minor point. I’ve never had feeding problems using RNFP bullets and correct OAL.

Member #
    Liked
    663 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sopris View Post
    Problems exist in blowback from straight wall cases...Some folks are not as diligent in routine cleaning and maintenance as highlighted in other threads. Then, there are those folks who try and manipulate the action for faster feeding and firing...Timing is important..
    Just because you own a screwdriver or Dremel, doesn’t mean everything has to come apart and be polished.
    Thanks for the feedback---sounds like a non issue if the firearm is cleaned and watch the overall length of the cartridge. Thanks guys for your help.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24140 times
    The ORIGINAL caliber was 44-40. Why not stick with that? The .45 cal reproduction rifles seem to preform very well. Flip a coin!
    MarkInTx and JohnnyP like this.

Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    The ORIGINAL caliber was 44-40. Why not stick with that? The .45 cal reproduction rifles seem to preform very well. Flip a coin!
    There is a cool mystic of using the .44-40 in the 73, but I have enough issues as I reload without adding the thinner case mouth of the .44-40. Some guys have no issues reloading, others have all sorts of issues.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I've shot both for almost a lifetime and they feed the same. In my experience, the 44-40 is more accurate and just as easy to load. I jumped through many hoops and could never get my 45 rifles (Rossi-1:24 twist) to come close to the groups below.

DSCF0200 (2).jpg

1860 Uberti 44-40 with no wind. 1:20 twist, Accurate 43-230E bullet over 34.5 gr. OE III BP.
    I turned the elev. down and shot a 3 shot, 1.5" group in his tail. I will say that the 44-40 does not shoot that good.

Pig at Wirelake 3.jpg

The pig was shot with a 44-40 Uberti 66 rifle. Again, 1:20 twist. I lowered the elevation, probably 1 MOA for the second group. Notice it was quite abit more powder. That lot of BP was weak.

I have a new 1860 Uberti Iron frame that I just got in and am playing with. Yesterday I shot a 5 shot grp. at 50 yards with it that measured .888" with the Accurate 43-252K cast bullet and H4198 So, I'll admit, I am partial to the 44-40.

Billy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links