Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Did Someone say Bowie knife???

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    934 times

Did Someone say Bowie knife???

I have collected a few “bowie” knives in my time. I talk about a lot of stuff but rarely show pics... I finally got a small display of very high condition (most never used, factory edge) Post war German “Bowie” knives. All are in their original sheaths too. If you don’t know, I like stag . Some of these knives will never be worth a lot simply cause they are “too rare”. A few are the only one I’ve ever saw, example the 8 inch blade Pryco with blue spacers. I “had to have it” when it came up to auction. I just threw a number in and deal with the consequences when the hammer dropped. I rarely do that btw.

I won’t go into history about post war German knives, they are easy to find and most fairly inexpensive. Popular models combined with top condition can get a little pricey but nothing like pre war knives-not even close! These are some my favorites of post war Germany. I’m a bit concerned as a couple are still MIA and I can’t locate. That happens when you hoard things,,, I’m mean “collect” things . Oh and btw, most of these are 8 or 10 inch blades and as useless as teets on a boar hog in a “knife fight”. I just like them. If I had to grab one to defend myself, I’d probably run past these to the kitchen and grab the 4 inch paring knife.
    Last edited by big_gus; 01-18-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    934 times
    Last pics of this display for now
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    I am surprised that you are storing/displaying those in the sheaths. unless you are "oiling them down" on a regular basis. or are you doing something else to protect the blades from the leather ??
    Rick Bowles and bearcat6 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    934 times
    No, they sat in there for 30-70 years and still look brand new so I’m not too worried about it. I appreciate the concern tho. If one rusts, I could always use it as a good chisel .
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    I love the red horn on the small one in pic 3. Looking at all that stag makes me want to roll over and light a cigarette.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1702 times
    Leather will not affect steel unless it gets wet and then it is the moisture and not the leather doing the damage. Brass or copper is another thing entirely. We have all seen the green verdigris it causes. Nice looking knives. I have a few of those larger ones around here. It is a very fine line between hoarding and collecting. I think I may have crossed it at times.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
    This all started with one gun!

Member #
    Liked
    4552 times
    Didn’t we just have a large Bowie knife thread?

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    Thats a nice collection of sheaths and handles. Do any of them have blades?

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    That is a great collection for sure. I find the curvature of the blade and back in the Bowie style knifes appealing along with the patina of course.

Thanks for sharing!
    Cal38RF

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8424 times
    My all time favorite Bowie is the on first shown in the old book "American Knives" by Harold Peterson.

This is one of the earliest Bowie's and has everything a Bowie should have.
    One comment people make about the original is the odd upward tilt of the handle that's not in line with the blade.
    There's been speculation that the knife was intended to be used upside down.

With the long edge of the blade upward it would rip and cut, while the clipped side could be used to chop and slash.
    It's been copied many times, with examples running from trash to ultra high quality versions by top American custom knife makers.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Kniv...SIN=B0000CK4GM

Atlanta Cutlery sells a cheap replica......

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/primitive-bowie-knife

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links