Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Sig M17 surplus....photos

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7852 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder106 View Post
    I've been trying to buy one of these but can't find a dealer. Any suggestions? What are they selling for? I thought I had one here in Sarasota but they say they don't have them. Ed
    Your best bet will be online auctions like on GB . Price will be higher but you'll get one .
    Buickgsman likes this.
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    I'm from the distant past when I was issued a M1911 that rattled when you shook it. I found a M16 that I trotted and bought a Browning HP 9mm from an ARVN officer. My son carried M9 in Iraq & Afghanistan which he didn't like at all - he also found a M4 that he preferred. I hope the M17 gets better acceptance. My civilian carry piece is a SIG SP2022 that I like but occasionally I carry a Ruger SP101 .357.

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    I've been trying to buy one of these but can't find a dealer. Any suggestions? What are they selling for? I thought I had one here in Sarasota but they say they don't have them. Ed
    bczadnm likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASSIC12 View Post
    I think it is great that the US military, or any military for that matter somehow makes their guns available to civilians. So much history and sense of purpose in those objects. Obviously in Switzerland we are very much used to that.

But I also think it’s a bit sad that it is a striker fired plastic frame ugly pistol. Maybe it’s just me but I would rather buy a genuine Beretta M9.

Until then I will just have to keep my old milsurp Swiss Sig.

Yep, lots of gun choices. I would rather have my old Python, but luckily I get to own it as well as one of these M17 Surplus guns...and lots of others of various design. I had some concerns, but got to hold it before purchasing, and it's a cool gun in my opinion. I will probably pick up a SS Sig at some point, but this will be a completely different look and feel, and military-issue - unique in terms of what I own.

BTW, there is a feature article in 'Concealed Carry Handguns' (Spring 2020) on the P210 from your Swiss P49 to the American P210A, comparing and contrasting. Very good article. Has a great 2-page photo of your gun. Actually, yours is a little nicer.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1078 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OctopusHighball View Post
    Similar to what was done with the USMC M45A1 Decomm release, we have a group of people attempting to document every one spotted in the wild (or shared with the group) for condition, rack marks, etc. We have collected over 1200 examples so far, and we are adding over 50 daily. We feel this is a critical project due to the nature of the replaceable grip frame. If the price of these rise in the future, what would stop someone from replacing a beat up grip frame with a new, shiny one, refinishing the slide and selling for premium price? Without this project or similar projects, nothing.

I do know of some soldiers within the group who had requested to purchase serials they were issued, but that seemed like a handful, not a whole group. If there is a separate effort to do this, can you put us in touch? It's possible the groups are already working together, but I don't want to miss an opportunity if one exists.

If anyone on this thread would like to add their pics to the project, feel free to PM me.
    Not sure if I'm ok to put up links to other gun forums - if I am, admin can tell me it's ok and I'll go copy the link and repost - until then - there's a thread where they already have a number of the military guns and who they were assigned by serial number...maybe the thread is growing. You can try reaching out to the member over there who's writing about it. Sig forum with a thread titled "M17 Surplus Firemission, Soldier trying to find his issued pistol!"

Member #
    Liked
    497 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder106 View Post
    Most seem to believe that the wholesalers are largely out, although there are a few conspiracy theories that wholesalers are holding some for future shipments. I do know that one or two wholesale distributors raised the prices to $1,000. I don't think anyone really knows the entire story but I do know that one forum I belong to tracks the total number of these available for sale on GB and the number is dropping quickly. If you really want one of the auction sites may be the best choice but you will need to pay a premium to get one.

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bczadnm View Post
    Most seem to believe that the wholesalers are largely out, although there are a few conspiracy theories that wholesalers are holding some for future shipments. I do know that one or two wholesale distributors raised the prices to $1,000. I don't think anyone really knows the entire story but I do know that one forum I belong to tracks the total number of these available for sale on GB and the number is dropping quickly. If you really want one of the auction sites may be the best choice but you will need to pay a premium to get one.
    There have been BINs on GB quite often at just over $1K, as recently as last week, so just keep checking. I almost pulled the trigger on one the day before finding mine at the LGS.

Member #
    Liked
    1694 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guy sajer View Post
    Isn't the present Swiss military sidearm plastic framed ?

We can buy the steel framed 1911/1911A1 through our govt operated CMP program in the US .
    Sales & Services - Civilian Marksmanship Program
    Nope, the current sidearm is still the venerable all steel P75, i.e. Sig 220

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7852 times
    The aluminum frame P220 is a fine pistol .

My online sources must be in correct . I read they adopted the Glock 17 to replace the P220 .
    https://www.gun-tests.com/news/news/...l#.Xi7M0DJKjm4
    https://www.guns.com/news/2011/05/03...service-pistol
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Member #
    Liked
    1694 times
    They are right but the titles are misleading, although the text is clear.

The special forces of the army, not the rest of the troops, officers, medics, quartermasters, tank / artillery personnel etc. got the plastic fantastic.

This part of the article does not make sense either; although the Swiss hanged on to their beloved 7.65 parabellum (.30 Luger) for a long time, the army transitioned to 9 mm back in 1949, with the P49 / Sig 210.

“This is in part because of the Swiss army’s desire to standardize to one caliber, 9mm, for handguns as well as performance reasons; each branch of their military found that they were able to handle the Glocks more easily and hit their targets with greater frequency.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links