Luger vs. Colt, the M1911 saga.....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Luger vs. Colt, the M1911 saga.....

Member #
    Indianapolis, IN & beautiful Lake Cumberland, KY
    Liked
    2657 times
    There's a very good video on the development of the P08 in Forgotten Weapons. And it mentions the American trials.
    krag96, SHOOTER13, ei8ht and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    842 times
    Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
    I suppose that this thread topic also requires a picture of a Colt 1911. Best I can do is a 1917 production.
    Colt definitely had the advantage as they (a) had JMB on their team (b) he literally invented the .45 ACP cartridge (c) he and Colt had been developing and testing for several years (d) their offering was a production gun, not an experimental/prototype

More appropriate would be a 1905/07 trials gun (calling tedm) but I don't have one (yet?)... the 1911 was still a few iterations away at this point
    Next best is this 1905 (#413) that was on "loan account" to US Army Colonel E.J. Dimick or Dimmick who was probably involved in the procurement effort. Unfortunately it has a replacement slide, pitting, refinish, etc. but it served its purpose as my first "old gun" purchase which led getting an FFL-03.
    1.JPG
    6.JPG

Member #
    Liked
    12586 times
    Something like calling any Colt .45 auto a 1911, calling any Luger (Parabellum Pistol) a P.08 is about the same thing. The P.08 (Pistole 1908) was a 4" 9mm Luger adopted by the German army in 1908. In 1914 they also had the P.08 made with an 8" barrel and a detachable holster/shoulder stock, which was the LP.08 (Lange Pistole 1908).

The German Navy had previously adopted the Pistol Parabellum in 1904, the Pistole 1904 (P.04), which had a 6" barrel and detachable holster/shoulder stock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Don't hang a lot on the Luger's sights. They are no worse than anybody else's at the time they were in wide use.

The Luger IS expensive to manufacture.
    The Luger is less functionally reliable on the average, although I have seen some to do very well.
    I think the Luger is more difficult to maintain, but then I have had much more practice with a 1911.
    The Luger will usually have a heavier trigger pull, one that is more difficult to improve than a 1911's.
    The Luger safety location is not convenient for the fast draw and first shot.

When they were competing on the market, Colt had the advantage of being a domestic firm located close to the market. In military trials they turned out nearly a prototype a year until they got it right. They were VERY attentive to the Army's wants and incorporated all requests in a time frame that would amaze any procurement officer today.
    Jagman64 and martin08 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
    I suppose that this thread topic also requires a picture of a Colt 1911. Best I can do is a 1917 production.

Well, if that's the best you can do......

Just kidding Man, that is sweet!
    martin08 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links