• 3 Post By Jim Martin
  • 4 Post By Kid Sopris
  • 3 Post By Jim Martin

Thread: Tex Ritter was.............

Member #
    Liked
    3796 times

Tex Ritter was.............

The thread about cowboy music can't go by without a bit about Tex Ritter.

Tex Ritter was born in southeast Texas, around Neidham as I recall. He was at the University of Texas with J. Frank Dobie and Johnny Lomax, so was well versed in Texas lore. He was on Broadway in a musical which I believe was the prelude to Oklahoma! He made a few old time "B" grade western movies and cut a few records. He moved to Tennessee and was on the Grand Ole Opry many times. He did the background song "High Noon". He ran for senator from Tennessee, unsuccessfully. And was on an airliner hijacked to Cuba.

He was stricken with a fatal heart attack in Nashville as he had gone to bail a friend out of jail.

Bob Wright
    459459 and lboos like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1938 times
    Tex Ritter had a rough sounding voice that prob. would not work on many songs, but some how his voice was a perfect match for the song from the movie High Noon, no one else could have done it better. The song has a great story to it, and a deep beat almost like a heart beat. i still listen to it once and awhile. No body did it better then Tex Ritter.
    I don't even remember any of his other song's.

Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    He actually lived in Nederland, Texas, as did I. We used to walk by his old house - if I remember, it was a two-story white house. Of course, I did not know who he was, but I was aware that a famous person had lived there a long time ago. A few years ago my son started singing 'High Noon' and I told him the story.
    459459 and victorio1sw like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mt. Lebanon, Penna ... South of 3...Rivers, VILIGANT CURMUDGEON.
    Liked
    39 times
    I am sure Tex had sung and recorded a few X-mas songs. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer was made more popular by Gene Autry's rendition , often played during the winter holiday.

John Ritter was Tex Ritter's son, who died after succumbing to an aorta rupture ( aneurysm) bad cardiac for Dad & Son.
    deyomatic and Ugly like this.
    "Blessed are those who do not expect to succeed, for they shall not be disappointed." - Johnathan Swift

JOG

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    I remember his old song, smoke smoke smoke that cigarette.
    Ugly likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6222 times
    the song "Bole Weevil" comes to mind,the original version of it can't be played on the radio now because of some of the words in it.
    RdrBill, Ugly and 459459 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7654 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RATPACKER View Post
    I am sure Tex had sung and recorded a few X-mas songs. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer was made more popular by Gene Autry's rendition , often played during the winter holiday.

John Ritter was Tex Ritter's son, who died after succumbing to an aorta rupture ( aneurysm) bad cardiac for Dad & Son.
    John Ritter and I went to Junior High School together...Walter Reed Junior High, Located in North Hollywood, California..He was a comedian all through school.. He was credited for taking a Home Room Teachers Desk from a Second Floor Classroom and suspending it from a Flag Pole...I do not have independent knowledge of his quilt or innocence..BUT he never displayed any of his fathers attributes that I recall..
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    6222 times
    I forgot to mention that my granpa's cousin taught Tex Ritter how to use a SA for the 1st western he made back in the early 30's.
    deyomatic, Ugly and jrm like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1196 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JOG View Post
    I remember his old song, smoke smoke smoke that cigarette.
    Just to give credit where credit is due, Merle Travis wrote that for Tex Williams who sang the original version in 1947. Another popular recording was by Phil Harris.
    Life/Benefactor Member NRA since 1962, Former Navy Nuclear Weapons Officer, OIC Base R&P Team, OIC Base Armory. Collector, shooter, amateur gunsmith. Life Member NCGCA, Member CCA

Member #
    Liked
    3796 times
    Tex Ritter's most famous song was Rye whisky and he was told as long he could do that song, he'd never be broke. Another novelty song of his was Blood on the Saddle. His rendition of Streets of Laredo and A-ridin' Ole Paint are also classics.

I missed the concert of concerts, Tex Ritter and Johnny Cash when they appeared here in Memphis. A relative's hose burned that day and we left to go to their assistance.

Bob Wright

Sponsored Links