Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Ivory ! consensus of future value , what say ye

Member #
    Liked
    16492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRiver View Post
    https://www.boonetrading.com/collect...y-pistol-grips

I’m sure there will be a market for elephant ivory. But there are alternatives as well...

Nothing like mammoth ivory! 100% legal!!
    As an example of breaking the law, check out David Boone's story on his web site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    2055 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post

I’m sure there will be a market for elephant ivory. But there are alternatives as well...

As an example of breaking the law, check out David Boone's story on his web site.
    Great inspirational story. Thanks for guiding us to it. K

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    928 times
    I personally canít see it going up a bunch. I think the opposite actually tbh, Iím neutral opinion too, no dog in the fight. I own none, nor do I have anything to do with it. People whom own a bunch of it or make money/sell/trade in it canít really have an unbiased opinion. Me personally, I donít buy it simply because itís far to restrictive to resell if I wanted to ever sell it (or my family). Not worth the headache researching federal and individual state laws, or paying a lawyer. I know some feel the way I do. Set of ivory grips on a table for $100, yeah no brainer for most. $500-$1000 for a set, not now. I know most the younger generations will NOT buy it, some wonít own it period (if free) because they love elephants-I do too . Not going into the whole, so much out there, I know, just stating the other viewpoint and the one of most under 40 yo. Iím quite confident it will totally be banned in the next couple decades. Maybe grandfathered in on stuff already owned, but nothing to be exchanged, sold, bought, or traded. Not trying to step on anyoneís toes, just thought the OP should have another opinion.

I disagree with the banned thing being worth more. Have a legal registered Colt M16 Vietnam era, see what it brings. Same gun not, pennies on the dollar and face stiff jail time you collect those pennies. Not saying itís right or constitutional, just stating a present day fact. I see it like this, when something is THREATENED with a ban, it drives price up like crazy. When itís totally banned, it drops like a rock. Iím speaking of material possessions, not sex, drugs, or rock and roll. And there is my way past my bed time post lol.
    Last edited by big_gus; 02-14-2020 at 02:19 AM.
    azshot and Redcat94 like this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    16492 times
    Just to be clear, the restrictions we're discussing are federal and deal with interstate commerce in African Elephant ivory only. Some state laws can and do outlaw ALL ivory even fossil, i.e. California, Illinois and others.
    Last edited by Rick Bowles; 02-14-2020 at 11:51 AM.

CCA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    562 times

Life Time Supply

Itís called planning ahead. None for sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

JWP

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    I’m part of the younger generation, and I happen to love Ivory. Just can’t quite afford a set of ivory grips right now but I intend to find a set soon, which is doable here in Texas. Also, I think anybody who believes a total ban will kill the price needs an economics lesson.....that’s not how it works at all. I like elephants, but to think we can’t responsibly use that resource doesn’t make sense.
    eagleeye, Cozmo, ersiii and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    16006 times
    Ivory has been used on valuable weapons for well over 2 Millennium. It will continue to be used on weapons and trinkets until all the elephants are dead and gone. It is after all part of the world's history. No one yet that has control of the entire world. The Giraffe is right behind them, as were large shells (mother of pearl) prior.

I like ivory. Not a fan of how it has been harvested or imported. Not a fan of how the trade is regulated now.

By some accounts unfitted ivory slabs can go for $1000 these days. Good mammoth is as good as good ivory. Because, well it is ivory Bad mammoth can be pretty rotten and unstable, kinda like rotten 1000 year old bones. Because it is..well a couple 1000 years old or more. Walrus? It was "junk" ivory when Elmer Keith killed his walrus bull and had SAA grips made from it in the 1930s's. Still is junk.

I suspect most of the elephant ivory trade will now be in guns with ivory already fitted. Seems the going premium is +/- $500 for a gun with ivory. Pretty much what ivory cost to a have fitted ( actually 150 to 200 less when you throw in shipping) when interstate commerce of ivory was banned. Seems those that can still sell and fit ivory legally want the same $650 +/- that was the market value prior to the ban.

Anyone that tries to convince you the last 50 years of fake ivory is any thing remotely close to real ivory in durability hasn't used any of them much. The most recent fake ivory, Resin-S, is very similar in weight and feel. But no where even remotely close in durability for hand gun grips.

Last edited by Cozmo; 02-14-2020 at 01:47 PM.
    Mikebiker likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    997 times
    but they have price tags on them
    Quote Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
    It’s called planning ahead. None for sale.
    Cozmo likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    928 times
    Why would someone give me a negative reputation comment for a different opinion??? Why not discuss it like MEN? Around my parts, we call that a back biting yellow dog... And yes we do say it face to face and then we usually get to figuring it out . Then we might set 2 chairs back up and have a drink together and be brothers till we die. Guess everyone wasnít raised in the South...
    Last edited by big_gus; 02-14-2020 at 05:31 PM.
    Redcat94 likes this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    562 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    but they have price tags on them
    I tagged my cost on all of them along with the invoice reference number for my internal inventory. There are 2 more trays with the tags for the ivory I have mounted on guns. Those tags are attached to the factory grips along with that ivory cost. I’m that guy, the one that keeps every receipt for all the guns and the $ spent on that s/n. The ivory is still not for sale. I have given one set away to a friend but haven’t sold any since I bought all that David had when the WA law kicked in. I have bought several more sets from other folks since then.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links