Winchester Model 04 with Threaded Barrel for Silencer.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Winchester Model 04 with Threaded Barrel for Silencer.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24732 times

Winchester Model 04 with Threaded Barrel for Silencer.

I just found this very unusual version of a Model 04 Winchester single shot 22 rifle, The larger diameter part on the muzzle end appears to be part of the barrel. Under the knurled ring are threads for attaching a silencer. There is a "B" stamped on the large diameter portion of the barrel. I guess it is possible that the large diameter portion of the barrel has been added to the barrel, but I cannot see any evidence of that. The very last 1/2" of the barrel is not rifled and has a slightly larger bore size than the rest of the barrel.
    The gun is in amazingly good condition on the metal and wood.
    I am posting pictures of the gun and highlighting certain sections for ease of examining them.
    Has anyone ever seen this configuration on the muzzle end of an old Winchester 22?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1123 times
    Fascinating! With shorts and a modern can on that, the loudest thing you'd hear would be when you cycled the bolt.
    saintclair and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12558 times
    Beautiful rust blue finish. Nice find.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3124 times
    You have a good eye for the unusual and unique Terry! Nice find.
    saintclair, Colt-SL and MarkInTx like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5861 times
    Now you need a MAXIM silencer to screw on the end........

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Terry,

That is a beautiful Model 04, you just don't see these with that much condition. I have never seen one with a muzzle like that. You may want to post it on the Winchester Arms Collectors Association (WACA) forum under Winchester .22 rimfire section. Lot's of Winchester knowledge there.

Al
    saintclair and bmcgilvray like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24732 times
    The Winchesters that were made with threaded muzzles that I have seen have usually been lever actions, but I do seem to remember seeing some 1890, M-06 or M-62 that went to England that had threaded muzzles. Silencers were evidently used a lot in England for shooters so they would not disturb the neighbors near gun ranges. It is a shame that the US will not make them legal without a permit. If they had been legal when I was younger, I would probably be able to hear better now. I guess I will have to pay $200 for the right to use a silencer on this gun, but Virginia is attempting to pass legislation that will outlaw all guns with threaded barrels. If I pay the $200 now, the gun may still be taken away from me when/if that state law passes.
    Hootch56 and feralmerril like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24732 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAhunter View Post
    Terry,

That is a beautiful Model 04, you just don't see these with that much condition. I have never seen one with a muzzle like that. You may want to post it on the Winchester Arms Collectors Association (WACA) forum under Winchester .22 rimfire section. Lot's of Winchester knowledge there.

Al

Al, I did not post a good picture of the stock. When I first saw the gun, I thought the wood was walnut. When I bought it today, I looked closely and saw it was the typical gum wood that Winchester used on so many guns. This is the nicest finished gum wood I have seen. The blueing on the steel parts looks like the work was done yesterday instead of about 100 years ago.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5861 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    The Winchesters that were made with threaded muzzles that I have seen have usually been lever actions, but I do seem to remember seeing some 1890, M-06 or M-62 that went to England that had threaded muzzles. Silencers were evidently used a lot in England for shooters so they would not disturb the neighbors near gun ranges. It is a shame that the US will not make them legal without a permit. If they had been legal when I was younger, I would probably be able to hear better now. I guess I will have to pay $200 for the right to use a silencer on this gun, but Virginia is attempting to pass legislation that will outlaw all guns with threaded barrels. If I pay the $200 now, the gun may still be taken away from me when/if that state law passes.
    Terry I would be willing to give this nice rifle a good home if this ever happens.....I have already paid my $200 dollar admission to the can club.....RR
    saintclair likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24732 times
    Rod, Does the $200 tax/fee allow you to have silencers on as many guns as you want or does it just allow you to have one silencer that you can use on many guns (assuming standardized threading)?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links