Colt Forum banner

Protocol at Gun Shows with the Coronavirus

2K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  Walter Rego 
#1 ·
I'm certainly not letting a stinky old virus ruin my fun. If the gun shows stay open, I plan to be there but does anyone have any suggestions on how we can best protect ourselves (and our firearms) as buyers and sellers? Dealers have it worse as they bear the brunt of having so many folks handle their wares. I'd hate to wipe down any firearm with a disinfectant or hand sanitizer. The alcohol would remove lubricant, renwax, etc. Maybe alcohol first, then re-lube? I may consider wearing nitrile or latex gloves.

#4 ·
If you can't find latex gloves at a pharmacy try an auto supply store like Pep Boys or AutoZone.

Reactions: ei8ht
#10 ·
Since we know about 1/1000 of 1% of what this virus is capable of, prudence should guide our actions. Can we not put off our hobbies temporarily so as to avoid infecting our loved ones - if not ourselves? This a war against an unseen and unknowable enemy. Prevention is our only defense, as thee is no - zero - treatment for the virus. Medical science is treating only the symptoms; the virus does what it will.

Basically, I'm sitting this one out so that I have the possibility to attend the next one. John Wayne is well advised to hang up the saddle until this is over.

#12 ·
Probably the best advice, 'cause I fit that category. Will just browse the on-line auctions. Not too many high condition collectibles show up in this neck of the woods lately anyway.

#17 · (Edited)
Wise Words from C.S. Lewis in 1948

9 Comments

TAGS
c.s. lewis, covid-19

CATEGORIES
Crisis

The following from C. S. Lewis.was written in 1948 after the dawn of the atomic age.
In one way we think a great deal too much of the atomic bomb. “How are we to live in an atomic age?” I am tempted to reply: “Why, as you would have lived in the sixteenth century when the plague visited London almost every year, or as you would have lived in a Viking age when raiders from Scandinavia might land and cut your throat any night; or indeed, as you are already living in an age of cancer, an age of syphilis, an age of paralysis, an age of air raids, an age of railway accidents, an age of motor accidents.”
In other words, do not let us begin by exaggerating the novelty of our situation. Believe me, dear sir or madam, you and all whom you love were already sentenced to death before the atomic bomb was invented: and quite a high percentage of us were going to die in unpleasant ways. We had, indeed, one very great advantage over our ancestors—anesthetics; but we have that still. It is perfectly ridiculous to go about whimpering and drawing long faces because the scientists have added one more chance of painful and premature death to a world which already bristled with such chances and in which death itself was not a chance at all, but a certainty.
This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human things—praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds.
— “On Living in an Atomic Age” (1948)

#19 ·
I’m not too worried about the virus, gloves, masks, or hand Sanitizer. I would like to find some toilet paper tho...:bang_wall:

Reactions: guy sajer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.