Colt Forum banner

Talk me down off of a ledge..... ;)

5K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  rodeo kid 
#1 · (Edited)
I was looking in the showcases at a local gun shop and despite my best effort and willpower, I was holding a FN 5.7 pistol. I have seen several of these over the last few years & have yet to figure out what purpose that serve. There is nothing that I can imagine that these will do that any number of other pistols don't do better. I am still sorely tempted even with its' $1049 price tag. I remember a few other pistols that were on my "must have" impulse purchase list. There was the HK USP ( I forget which "variant".....) .45 that was traded while still unfired in the box. etc. etc.

The FN is lightweight. But, it is far to bulky for concealed carry even if the cartridge wasn't known for overpenetration. 40 gr. bullet @ approx. 2000 fps??? Really?? What is that good for?? I think I love it.

C'mon. Talk me out of this (or into it!).

Charles

#15 ·
The Russians evidently like the small diameter, high velocity pistol concept. These seem to fit that model.

I see new pistols advertised with a woman defending herself with some version of this round, claiming low recoil and of course deadly results to the opponent.

Haven't seen or shot one yet, so no opinions.

rayb

#16 ·
I think they're an interesting concept. High velocity, high capacity, low recoil.

I'll always associate this gun with the Ft Hood shootings, though. I know its silly, but I'm not sure I could warm up to it.

In that case, it was certainly (tragically) effective. According to some reports, the coward Hasan was charged by some of the soldiers but were laid low by the 5.7mm round before they could reach him.

Fort Hood shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#17 ·
Battle tested, used to protect royalty and heads of state - effective for what it was intended for.

I've got one. Ammo is no problem to find and is becoming even MORE available - no more (or less) expensive to shoot than a .45; reloadable.
Two years and close to 3000 rounds through it and not a SINGLE FAILURE of any kind.

It fits all of my 1911 holsters - easy to load and operate.

Niche gun?
Maybe - it can shoot out farther than I can see (best I can do is a squirrel at 50yards - my much younger neighbor can get one at 100yds)

I have a 98year uncle that can pull-back the slide, aim it, and pull the trigger - it's his night-stand gun; he's too old for a shotgun (not to mention, he has a pacemaker implant) and he has too much arthritis for a revolver.
His only remaining brother is 85 and has Parkinsons (even after 7 years of it, only tremors so far thank God) - the Parkinson's uncle can also manipulate the slide/magazine, load, and shoot it. It's also his nightstand gun.
It's REALLY their only option.....

Although I DON'T consider this a "home-defense weapon" - I DO keep it on my nightstand as well (along with others) - let's face it.... 20 rapidly fired FN57 rounds at center mass of an intruder as he gets to the top of my stairs and turns the corner towards my bedroom IS a "show-stopper"

approx 1,000 new - you can find a LNIB used one in a pawnshop/LGS for approx 800.
(I bought a new one for me, later found out the two uncles could use it, found two USED ones for them - had to look HARD for them, but I found them)

:p

#18 ·
The voice of experience. I kind of thought it was used at Ft Hood, but couldn't remember for sure. Thanks for a reply based on experience, unlike my previous.

rayb

#20 ·
There you go injecting logic into this! :) I was just about to hit the "buy it now" button.

There are always going to be gaps that need filling in the PD revolver collection.

I talked this over with my friend at the local shop. I have a hunch that he wants to keep his for himself. So, maybe searching for a second hand one and saving a few hundred is the best plan. I want the one with the low profile 3 dot sights which might complicate the search a little.

Thanks for all of the replies!!!

Charles

#21 ·
I always seem to like odd stuff. The desert tan model looks good to me. It would seem that a handgun with 20 rds of what is close to .223 ammo would be good for home defense if you live in the country. I have talked my dealer down to $935 for a new one, so maybe after my100 year rollmark .38 super is out of layaway. We will see. God Bless.

#23 ·
For 40 percent of the price, I acquired a Keltec PMR30 that holds 30 rounds of 40 grain 22 magnums -- velocity probably doesn't match the 5.7x28, but I would bet that the enjoyment quotient is 100 percent! Fiber optic sights, nice trigger, and ammo is very available.

Interesting comments about the elderly gentlemen racking the slide; the PMR is also very easy to chamber.

#25 · (Edited)
The only gun I will call ugly is an RG10. Now some guns are better than others when it comes to the looks department.

Glocks are not ugly, they just do not have a soul. The same can be said for the FN.

Regarding talking you off of the ledge, - - - will not happen from this peanut gallery. Reason you ask - - the joy is in the quest.

You will probably find that while it looks cool (personal opinion) and has a nifty magazine capacity (20 rounds) it just may not be as cool as you think.

Case in point, (my experience) the Tec 9. It functioned well, looked cool, annnnnnnd was pretty useless for every day use. Oh yeah, the 30 caliber Enforcer, same song, different verse.

Sometimes you just have to jump in and figure out that it not for you. If it is a fit for you then congratulations. Best of luck but remember, the joy is in the quest.

#31 · (Edited)
OK, so I know I'll tick off some established members here.....but whenever I hear the "Ft. Hood" and "cop killer" crap it just drives me nuts. It's an awesome gun. Light weight, accurate as anything and holds twenty rounds of high speed ammo....about 2200 fps in a pistol! Ammo runs about $20-24 a box in your lgs...cheaper online. So, give in and then get the PS90 carbine to go along with it. You won't regret it for a minute. And it's actually a perfect round for home security with it's accuracy and tendency to not over penetrate. Just do it. And a little research will show how FNH arms keep military and police officers around the world well protected.

#32 ·
Several posts have alluded to the fact they don't like the gun because Hassan used it at Ft Hood. That is liberal, anti-gun thinking, they say the same thing, take away guns to make us safer. The gun was not to blame, the shooter was. What if he had used our sainted 1911(and I love mine) would you then dislike the 1911 and sell yours? Think about it please. And this firearm(like many others) will only defeat body armor if armor piercing ammo is used. That ammo is illegal for sale to the public. God Bless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.