Your Very First Colt.......
Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree910Likes

Thread: Your Very First Colt.......

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Question Your Very First Colt.......

What Was And How Old Were You When You Got Your Very First Colt?

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Mr gradfathers segundo (foreman) retired when the Feds took over my grandfather's ranch for a range during WWII. He saved the .44-40 New Service that my grandfather had given him and gave it to me in 1951. I was 8; still have it.

Member #
    Liked
    2712 times
    Here's the opening paragraphs from an article I wrote about the Second Generation Colt percussion revolvers.

John Gross

"When I was a young teenager in the early 1970’s I entered the Town and Country Gun Shop in South Miami, Florida with my dad, and walked out with a brand new Colt revolver and a smile brighter than the Florida sunshine. The revolver was one of Colt’s modern antiques, an 1851 Navy Ulysses S. Grant Commemorative housed in its beautiful presentation case with all the accessories. Being a Southern Sympathizer I asked if they had the Robert E. Lee model I had seen in the Dixie Gun Works catalog, but the salesman said no, just the USG one. No matter, I was happy with my new gift from dad, though perplexed why Grant and Lee, who were army generals, would be issued navy revolvers!

That revolver was not my first gun, but it was my first Colt. I learned a lot with that revolver, such as cocking the hammer enough times to hear the click-click-click-click will scribe a very neat symmetrical line on the exterior of the cylinder rather quickly, in what I now know is referred to as a drag line. And did you know dry firing a percussion gun can damage the nipples? I learned that too! The Colt was also the first black powder handgun I ever shot which lead to more learning experiences. Keeping the cylinder pin well lubricated, misfires, bits of percussion caps falling down into the hammer recess and tying up the lock work, and that shiny brass bullet mold getting so hot when casting balls on the kitchen stove were all part of my learning curve. I also discovered that I was not able to reload my Navy revolver near as fast as Clint Eastwood could load his.

My first Colt is now gone, traded off by me in 1979, dad is gone, and the Town and Country Gun Shop is now The House of Fins - Your Total Aquarium Store. But the fond memories of that revolver will be with me forever. Next to my First Generation Colt percussion revolvers, two of which are inscribed to Civil War soldiers, comfortably resides more than half a dozen of their Second Generation cousins, which includes of course, a Ulysses S. Grant (and Robert E. Lee!) Commemorative."
    My areas of expertise are firearms and Latin females. Not necessarily in that order.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8162 times
    A 6" blue Python. Bought in the early-mid '80s (mfg mid '80), from a dealer who overheard me say that a 6" .357 would be a lot easier on me than the 4" Ruger Security Six I was shootin'. So he called me a couple weeks later and said he had my gun. What could I do? So I got it for what turned out to be short coin... real short, like $439 otd short. It had beautiful smooth rosewood grips and the but I got the correct originals at a gun show for $20. It was in the original box. It shoots like crazy and I have shot the bejeezis out of it. It looks like a new gun. Only time it was ever holstered was to see if it fit. One time. Now I have a bunch of other Colts. And I am a S&W man. Go figure.

ps.That is the first one I bought.
    I inherited one from my uncle around the same time. probably a few months earlier.....
    Last edited by oberon; 01-11-2017 at 07:02 PM. Reason: correction
    44_fan, ponyup and MPGunther like this.

Member #
    Liked
    796 times
    OCTOBER 13, 1960, a 4 1/2" COLT HUNTSMAN for my sixteenth birthday from my Daddy. One [1] year later I had put 52,000 rounds though it from buying two bricks of R-P 22LR GOLDEN BULLETS from the HENDERSON SUPPLY COMPANY in Bowling Green OH at the pricely price of five dollars per brick ie: ten bucks a thousand, per week. MY weekly income was $12.00 which left me two bucks for smokes and anything else I needed. NEVER ran outta 22LR ammo or Lucky's.

Member #
    Liked
    4804 times
    Rather late. I bought my first Colt about 10 years ago when I was 49.
    A 1964 Cobra which many of you have seen before. I have many more but that one gets carried a lot.
    ponyup likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2570 times
    I was 19 years old and serving my country in uniform when I bought a nickel plated Frontier Scout in a little shop in Oceanside, California in 1963. I couldn't believe I had to wait five days to pick up the gun! Yep, they had a five day waiting period for handguns even then. It was one of the early Scouts that didn't have the pin to secure the barrel to the frame and the barrel kept unscrewing when I shot it. I still have it and a lot more .22 single actions as well.

- - - Buckspen
    ponyup likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    249 times
    1980 I got a Lawman MK III when I was 16 years old. Wanted a Python or a Trooper MK III. Could afford the Lawman on a part time after school job, not the others. Still have it.
    ponyup likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    WWII Colt 1911A1 I was 15, still have it and still shoot it. Well over 20k rounds thru it from me alone. Almost all reloads.
    4597 and ponyup like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I bought a Colt Govt. Model MKIV Series 70 in 1977 at age 24. Bought a Colt SAA .357 5.5" a couple of months later.
    4597 and ponyup like this.

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links