Just won these carved pearls at auction
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Just won these carved pearls at auction

Member #
    Liked
    3285 times

Just won these carved pearls at auction

Just won these carved pearls at auction. Pity they are for a SW. great old Japanese pearls carved in classic Japanese Dragon Motif. Wish they would fit a pre war colt.

IMG_0290.JPGIMG_0293.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Faires; 11-12-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    Oh that's a hoot!

I was going to bid on those, and forgot to bid!

Lol...

They are missing their Escutcheons of course, and, possibly, never had them installed.

I kind of liked them, even though I do not usually like over-busy Oriental Carvings.

Congratulations Mike!

They are a cool old set of Pearl Stocks!

What does the B Side look like?

Any markings or symbols or anything?

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    Had I got them, I was going to try them on my 1930s Square Butt, S & W 'M&P' Snubby, which is factory Nickel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    Had I got them, I was going to try them on my 1930s Square Butt, S & W 'M&P' Snubby, which is factory Nickel.
    If I decide not to keep them I will give you a private first shot. Or you could sell me your snubby, I would of course have to find provenance that it was Charlie Chan's personal sidearm.
    Malysh and Matchlock like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4835 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Faires View Post
    If I decide not to keep them I will give you a private first shot. Or you could sell me your snubby, I would of course have to find provenance that it was Charlie Chan's personal sidearm.
    It wouldn't do! Like so many 1930s movies, the stars, Warner Oland, then Sidney Toler, were occidentals portraying an oriental.
    Last edited by Malysh; 11-06-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Faires View Post

Quite so!

It would totally bring on a 'Charlie Chan' sort of mystique to my old Snubster.

It's funny how there are some things I can get along with wonderfully, and some things I can not.

This, I could get along with.

Now I wish I had been thinking of stuff like this when I lived in or near San Francisco in the 1960s and 1970s.

Chinatown was one of my favorite haunts, especially the semi dusty little out of the way Stores which still had the Pictures of "FDR" and the 'National Recovery Act Eagle' in frames, on one Wall.

Man, they had oodles of wacky and eclectic old stuff to paw through and oooo and ahhhh over, too.

And everyone liked me, since I was mannered, quiet, skinny, chain smoking and had a bad haircut and wore 'Work Clothes', and I drove a faded 1946 Chevrolet one Ton Pick Up. All the older guys would come out wiping hands on soiled Aprons, and remarking to me, with a chin-nod to my Truck, "Like Burma Road!"

I sure liked those guys, and I wish I could have spoken Chinese to get to talk with them better. Cool old guys and tough as a Tree Trunk, too. I bet they could have hopped in to my Truck and driven it like a champ ( no synchros, so one had to know what one was doing, especially if downshifting! ).

I bet there were old Pearl and Ivory Stocks for Colts and S & Ws tucked away somewhere or other in some of those old places...wrapped in Rice Paper in those pasteboard Boxes things used to come in when from the Orient, too...

Even though yours may well be Japanese, rather than Chinese.

But heck yes! - if you ever feel like getting off them, I would love to have first crack at them so I can have my 'Charlie Chan' thing going on, with my old Nickel Snub!
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 11-06-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    12169 times
    Those are gorgeous pearls. do they need new rubies in the eyes there? Amazing how they carve this material so intricitly. I'm about 90% leaning towards putting a pairof Wolf & Klar Texas carved N frame grips for sale. They are fancy and 1920's classic Texas but not as detailed as that pair you have.

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    Those are gorgeous pearls. do they need new rubies in the eyes there? Amazing how they carve this material so intricitly. I'm about 90% leaning towards putting a pairof Wolf & Klar Texas carved N frame grips for sale. They are fancy and 1920's classic Texas but not as detailed as that pair you have.

Those are nice!

'N-Frame', I assume?

Member #
    Liked
    3285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    I believe in that culture the eyes were not ruby or emerald but rather alabaster and ebony to provide a more life like appearance. Just a guess at this point.

Member #
    Liked
    12169 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    Those are nice!

'N-Frame', I assume?
    Yes. They are on my 1927 S&W 3rd Model .44 that's a Wolf & Klar gun. But the grips are better than the refinished gun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links