Who likes model trains on Christmas?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Who likes model trains on Christmas?

Member #
    Liked
    10720 times
    I still have my 'A.C. Gilbert American Flyer' set from the late '50's.

Grandpa went to work for Burlington in 1893 - retired as Yardmaster for the old Riverview Yards.

Lionels were popular, but American Flyers were a bit truer to scale - using two tracks and not three - and I suspect that Grandpa had been influential in its selection.

Now, I have to dig it out, damn it...

Merry Christmas!

Member #
    Liked
    1642 times
    I sold my childhood trains to buy guns! Go figure.
    prostrok likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post
    wow , great , I am sorry I did not set my trains this year , give me a reason to set them up next year.
    I too regret not setting mine up either. It it the Bachmann G Scale North Pole Express. It was my dad's favorite.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6210 times
    A little off thread,I don't own any model trains but have always wanted to,I do have an old "hayshaker" lantern dated 1898 & an old Conger lantern I carried on the Santa Fe when I worked there,an Adelake switch lock & my old switch,caboose & passenger keys as well as my 21 jewel Ball RR watch & I have an old coal shovel off the B&O.For any of u that remember "Death Valley Scotty" he once wanted to see how fast a train could make it between L.A. & Chicago so he rented one & made it in something like 33 hrs.The steam engine that pulled that train was #'d 1010,it was kept in the old ATSF roundhouse @ 9th st in LA.I've been all over that engine many times.Do any of u remember the old western titled "Union Pacific"? The entire work train that was used in that 1939 movie was stored in the Union Pacific East yard in East LA,I've been lucky to have been able to crawl all over that train many times.I've run many of the different locomotives,EMD's Alco's & Baldwins,when I started on the RR it was the very end of the steam days,they were almost all gone,just one still being used on the ATSF LA area.
    tecolote likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    297 times
    Jim:
    Union Pacific is my favorite western; Joel McCrea carried an original Henry rifle in that movie. Are you familiar with ATSF 3751,which was used in TNT's Mob City?
    I'm old enough to remember steam power in Decatur,GA as a little kid. In 2003 during the Louisiana bicentennial the La. Steam group ran thier ex-SP along KCS line through here in Jackson and we had a ball chasing it through the city...

Regards,

Tecolote

Member #
    Liked
    4629 times
    I remember steam engines on the tracks; but mostly remember DT&I (Detroit, Toledo, and Ironton) Orange engines pulling freight on a track near my home in Ohio when I was growing up.

My older brother had a beautiful Lionel set, the engine being the New York Central model - made smoke with tablets. My twin brother and I woke up early one Christmas morning, the train was set up around the tree...couldn't find the smoke tablets but....soy sauce worked for a minute! Ooops I think we were all of 4 years old then.

Member #
    Liked
    799 times
    WELL....I SPEKT THIS will not make me too popular here on this topic. I have always been a shooter and toy trains were on my list as among the most high class of targets for my BB pistol, slingshot, or pellet rifle. I still judge everything---EVERYTHING !!!---by it's value as a target. When my wife drags me to those "bric-a-brac" junk shops, THEY ARE ALL TARGETS someday and she knows it !!!
    ltcfb118 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links