Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Early impressions of Colt…

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13086 times

Early impressions of Colt…

I was 6 years old in 1953. My mom took me to the movies to see “Shane”. He had a shiny nickel Colt .45 and knew how to use it. Named Walter Jack Palance, back then, the bad guy, had twin sixguns.

But Shane said that only one was all you really needed. I was SO hooked.

I recall his saying, “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool; an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” I did.

This may be the first time I realized my love for the Colt brand. How about you – when was it?
    MtnSpur, ace and Matchlock like this.
    Tony

“It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carry the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life, or death ---- it shall be life.” - Ten Bears - “The Outlaw Josey Wales”

Member #
    Liked
    583 times
    I'm a little younger than you but I remember the 50's westerns, Wild Bill Hickok, Lawman, Lone Ranger, and Walt Disney programs about gunslingers using the SAA. I liked Shane, too.
    Last edited by BigG; 03-23-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    Colt-SL likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    965 times
    My love for Colts started in late 89 when I started shooting revolvers.I wanted a Pythom SOOOO BAD but it was always out of my price range. When a 4 inch Peacekeeper landed at my friends gun store it was love at first sight.Thanks to it being a "Strike Baby" the black matte finsh turned off potential buyers and the price got to a point where it became mine.....A great day indeed.
    Colt-SL likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Mac

Member #
    Liked
    492 times
    About the same time I discovered Winchesters, 32 Ford roadsters, and Porsches.
    Mac
    Colt-SL likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    840 times
    I was 8 years old in 1953; it was all of those old westerns we used to go to see. Back in those days it was safe for a couple of 8 year olds to walk to the Saturday Matinee without their parents. I think I liked the pre movie serial, Commando Cody (Sky Marshal of the Universe), as much as the movie, but I never started collecting those Ray Guns!!!!
    Colt-SL and Abwehr like this.

ace

Member #
    Liked
    1512 times
    when I was a kid about 10 yrs old a Christmas present from an uncle was a toy colt revolving rifle that had miniature brass cases that shot plastic bullets. that might be what sent me down the colt road.
    Colt-SL likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1382 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    when I was a kid about 10 yrs old a Christmas present from an uncle was a toy colt revolving rifle that had miniature brass cases that shot plastic bullets. that might be what sent me down the colt road.
    Yeah, Ace! I had one of those, too! We'd put caps on the cartridge base so that it made a loud, ferocious "BANG!!," right? I also had a toy Peacemaker at about eight years of age. No projectiles, but caps on every round. I suppose I got really hooked on Colts when I joined the military and handled M1911s and M16s. I marveled at the variety of manufacturers, but I knew when I bought my first one it would be a Colt.
    Colt-SL and ace like this.
    -Ed-

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate." --Marion Barry, Former Mayor of Washington, DC

Member #
    Liked
    1576 times
    I think many of us here are showing out age with this thread! But I like it, it sure brings back memories of getting into the theater on saturday morning with six (6) Coke bottlecaps. Yep Coke in bottles too!

The old westerns is what got me started. My dad was an avid cowboy movie watcher and loved guns! I remember having the toy cap gun "Six Shooters", but the one I wanted most was the Mattel Fanner 50! I had to wait a little while to get one since they were more than the regular toy guns, but I finally got one! All the neighborhood kids played "Cowboy and Indians" all the time. What fun days those were, and I remember them well!
    Colt-SL likes this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    6530 times
    Probably around mid 50's with Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and one of my favorite shows "The Tales of Wells Fargo" with Dale Robertson. All carried the iconic Colt "six shooter" and they all knew how to use em . My Grandpa was a huge Western movie/TV fan and as he used to say "I like watching these cowboy shows because there's lots of action". Naturally I wanted a Fanning 50 like some of my friends had but my mom was very anti gun, toy or otherwise. Grandpa bought me one but we kept it at his house and since he lived next door, well, let's just say mom was none the wiser. We kept that a secret for years.

Colt-SL likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13086 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnSpur View Post
    Probably around mid 50's with Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and one of my favorite shows "The Tales of Wells Fargo" with Dale Robertson. All carried the iconic Colt "six shooter" and they all knew how to use em . My Grandpa was a huge Western movie/TV fan and as he used to say "I like watching these cowboy shows because there's lots of action". Naturally I wanted a Fanning 50 like some of my friends had but my mom was very anti gun, toy or otherwise. Grandpa bought me one but we kept it at his house and since he lived next door, well, let's just say mom was none the wiser. We kept that a secret for years.
    All great ones! Roy Rogers was my favorite and yes, I DO remember the Tales of Wells Fargo. Put cowboy boots, a cowboy hat and Colt six shooters on a cat and I'd be glued to the screen!
    Tony

“It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carry the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life, or death ---- it shall be life.” - Ten Bears - “The Outlaw Josey Wales”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links