Is there a noticeable difference in accuracy between Colt and S&W revolvers?

View Poll Results: Is there a noticeable difference in accuracy between Colt and S&W revolvers?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Colts are more accurate all other things being equal.

28 23.33%
  • Yes, Smith & Wessons are more accurate, all other things being equal.

15 12.50%
  • No, there's no measureable difference (from the bench, at 25-50m, with match ammo).

77 64.17%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Is there a noticeable difference in accuracy between Colt and S&W revolvers?

Member #
    Liked
    9944 times
    In 1970s I shot and experimented more. I own/owned a s&w model 27-2 5", Highway patrol man, and other smiths. A colt trooper 4", Offecers model match,a python 2 1/2", and others. Braced two handed off the bench I could do at least as good if not better with colts. Just shooting off hand I couldnt say. I believe most the shooting world will say that smiths do have a better double action for more shooters. A big part of that well might be because there just isnt as many good gunsmiths out there that can work on a colt as well as they can smiths, therefore there are far more smiths around and more made through the years. I also noticed when I got a little sloppy with my reloads that smiths would accept them when colts wouldnt. I forgot just which was which, but high primers would work in one but not the other and I believe the chambers were/are tighter in colts. Now I also believe there is a lot of truth that colt python barrels are more accurate due to the supposedly tapered bore and a progressive tighter twist? Now if that is so, I have also heard that the python and trooper barrels were the same except for the rib? Yet I dont recall ever really hearing that the trooper and officers model match also had the tapered barrel and progressive twist. Does anyone here know?
    ShootDeliberately likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    Your original question does not require a hair splitting scientific testing program to reach the answer. When all is said and done, the majority seem to agree that the difference, if there even is a difference, is so miniscule as to be undetectable by most shooters. The barrel twist, lockup, and action differences have been cussed and discussed for many years and will be debated until the end of time. Go to the S&W forum and you'll find members similarly convinced the S&W is the "Cadillac" compared to the Colt's "Henry J".... Regardless of which brand you choose, pick good ammo, and if you do your part, that 50 pace Jackrabbit will never know the difference.

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    I haven't been shooting for long having just started a year or two ago, but I have noticed somewhat of a difference between my revolvers. It seems like somewhat of a give and take where one will do something better than the other when I switch them up. In my opinion, the triggers feel amazing on both smiths and colts in SA. With my carry revolvers, my model 10 seems to do better in DA shooting than my police positive, but my pps has shot the most impressive groups in SA on the first try than my M10. But than again, it also shoots better than my Officers Model. Maybe for me it just comes down to the individual gun and the individual shooting it. I would still like to think that my Officers Model is the highest quality revolver that I own to date.

I think ohiobuckeye has a good point. Maybe with a quality gun, ultimately it comes down to ammo and skill.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    Most firearms, be it a handgun or rifle, will have one particular load that will give you the best results for that particular firearm. Even guns of the same make and model may not digest the same loads with equal accuracy. Part of the fun of hand loading is the search for that particular load that will give you one ragged hole in the target, and if you don't hand load, sorting through available factory loads will usually turn up at least one your gun will like better than others. This is applies to both centerfire and rimfire guns.

Member #
    Liked
    7450 times
    You should post this same poll in www.smith-wessonforum.com
    I think the no category will still win but you will definitely see the S&W category higher than here.

Member #
    Liked
    496 times
    I'd say that they have the same ability for accuracy.
    S&W revolver and Colt 1911 accumulator

Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    They are all more accurate than I am

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewayad View Post
    They are all more accurate than I am
    I see them on the range in various hands & I have to agree that, in general within 25 yards... but especially within 7-10 yds., most guns are inherently more accurate than their shooters.
    Last edited by ProtectiveMeasures; 08-26-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    For Firearms Training check out our website at
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    or email us at
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    349 times
    Don't shoot benchrest, don't see the point. I and our sons can bounce golf balls at 50 meters equally with Colts, S&Ws and Rugers. In fact, our professional military son, with four "tours" in the desert, PREFERS the Ruger GP-100 to Pythons. Middle son, who shoot for the best of reasons - IT'S FUN - prefers his S&W 327TRR8, which he shoots better than anything I go up against him with unless I cheat. Which I do.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I hardly ever miss w/scattergun be it import or homegrown.

In DA my groups appear to have come down the same barrel at the same time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links