Shipping Question? FFL ( 003 ) to FFL
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Shipping Question? FFL ( 003 ) to FFL

Member #
    Liked
    365 times

Shipping Question? FFL ( 003 ) to FFL

So, I recently received my C&R license and I have a question about shipping.

Shippers such as FedEx & UPS policies require non licensees to ship handguns to FFL recipient
    by the fastest and most expensive methods.

Since I now am a FFL holder, even though it's C&R, can I use the cheaper shipping options to ship
    a modern handgun that I know I can't transfer on my license to an 001 FFL who will then do the 4473
    and associated local checks to complete the transfer, or am I still stuck shipping at the high rates?

TIA
    Colt-SL likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by claudel View Post
    Since I now am a FFL holder, even though it's C&R, can I use the cheaper shipping options to ship
    a modern handgun

Basically, yes, you can ship it ground service with UPS or FEDEX to save money. There is no law against it.

HOWEVER. If the gun is lost or damaged and you file a claim, they likely will not honor the claim as you did not abide by their policy.

John Gross
    claudel and Colt-SL like this.
    My areas of expertise are firearms and Latin females. Not necessarily in that order.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    624 times
    Quote Originally Posted by claudel View Post
    So, I recently received my C&R license and I have a question about shipping.

Shippers such as FedEx & UPS policies require non licensees to ship handguns to FFL recipient
    by the fastest and most expensive methods.

a modern handgun that I know I can't transfer on my license to an 001 FFL who will then do the 4473
    and associated local checks to complete the transfer...............NO...........

..... or am I still stuck shipping at the high rates.........YES..........

TIA
    What it is.
    Colt-SL and claudel like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    365 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johngross View Post
    Basically, yes, you can ship it ground service with UPS or FEDEX to save money. There is no law against it.

HOWEVER. If the gun is lost or damaged and you file a claim, they likely will not honor the claim as you did not abide by their policy.

John Gross
    Quote Originally Posted by 03clyde View Post
    What it is.

Thanks for the explanation.

I was mainly wondering if the shippers policies allowed lower rates for C&R holders as well

I'd be glad to use the lower rate if it was available without my being deceptive and/or losing insurance coverage.

Member #
    Liked
    563 times
    The next day air, and various high cost shipping mandates are set by the carrier and not federal law or regulation. The klinker is that federal law DOES mandate that you inform ANY carrier that the parcel contains a firearm, so bottom line is that you cannot avoid the carriers high cost mandates without violating the federal law requiring the firearm notification.

Member #
    Liked
    2495 times
    FedEx and UPS do not have a different policy for shipping for FFLs (C&R or 01s). Some may get lower prices based upon volumes of shipping, but their policy about having to use expedited shipping for handguns applies the same to everyone.

The 01 FFL does have the option of using the Post Office -- which, particularly if it will fit in a Flat Rate box -- can be substantially lower in price than FedEx or UPS. Of course the C&R license does not allow you to ship through the USPS, so you are still stuck with high shipping rates.

The reasoning behind FedEx and UPS having their policy is really quite sad. They cannot trust their own employees to not steal packages, so they feel the need to require customers to use the expedited services, which are not only faster, but offer better security (from employee theft) for the packages in that route.

Member #
    Liked
    489 times
    If you check with the NRA, I believe they have struck a deal with Fedex for lower prices for NRA Members. I saw it posted somewhere. But I'm not sure of what the actual deal is.

Also I believe if you open an online accout with Fedex and/or UPS you get a price break. You can also pay on line and print your own shipping labels then. I also do this with USPS - Do it on line and you can pay and print your Priority Mail and get a small discount. Also with USPS Priority on line, check out their region A & B shipping. It is sometimes much cheaper, but you need to order the boxes on line. The good part is you can order all the Priority Mail boxes you want on line and they're free.
    Last edited by broknaxl; 11-04-2014 at 09:15 AM.
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

Member #
    Liked
    508 times
    Since you are a C&R FFL, you may not use USPS for handgun shipment. But, you can take your handgun to a local Class 1 or Class 3 FFL and have them ship it for you. Their cost for the service should be in the twenty buck range. I do it all the time.
    claudel and Colt-SL like this.
    “Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
    — Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13382 times
    Congrats on getting your FFL. I, too, hold a 003 FFL and the rules and regs are in your ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide, 5300.4 or later. BUT they are not easily understandable.

The above responses are a great resource!
    claudel likes this.
    Tony

“It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carry the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life, or death ---- it shall be life.” - Ten Bears - “The Outlaw Josey Wales”

Member #
    Liked
    365 times
    Thanks for all the informative responses.

Turns out that my friendly LGS with 001 FFL will charge me $15 + actual freight to ship to another 001 FFL so that seems easiest...

Trying to squeeze the bennies out of my 003...
    Colt-SL and broknaxl like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links