Colt Archives
Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree480Likes

Thread: Colt Archives

Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Thanks for putting yourself out here for us Paul. Your bravery knows no bounds! Now, WHERE'S MY LET...? Nah, just kidding.
    Thanks again.

Colt Archivist

Member #
    Liked
    2821 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammers View Post
    Thanks for putting yourself out here for us Paul. Your bravery knows no bounds! Now, WHERE'S MY LET...? Nah, just kidding.
    Thanks again.
    I will second you on the bravery! We'll see if i regret this post soon! I figured that since I have learned plenty perusing the forum over the last few months, that sharing some knowledge from my little niche of expertise can only help everyone. Since I started here this has not only been my job, but I've developed an insatiable interest in collecting, and whatever I can do to help the collecting community I am happy to do.
    Colt Archivist /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    / 800-962-2658 ext. 1849.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    897 times
    Welcome Paul, great to have you here. Thank you for making yourself available!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    691 times
    OK now that you are asking, there has been a debate for quite some time regarding a Python finish from the early 80's "Royal Coltguard" which you told me on the phone was the same finish as e-nickel.
    Brochures from the 80's say its the identical process as the standard Coltguard but at a much higher polished finish. So out of curiosity I have seen boxes both marked "Coltguard" and "E-NICK" and my letter shows "Coltguard" not Royal Coltguard and I saw another letter from someone here sent back to them as E-Nickel, was the "Royal" just for marketing and why the inconsistency on boxes and letters.
    Just wondering
    RoyalColtGuardAd_zpscede25bd.jpg

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17643 times
    Hi Paul. It was nice meeting you at the CCA show.

Cam

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3917 times
    Thank you for "appearing" here in the Center of the Colt Universe and offering to answer archive letter questions!

My question is, how many letter requests, as an average, come in per day, week or month?
    1903joe and Hootch56 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1076 times
    Good Monday to ya Paul....you may mark up this date as"when did I ever think that was a good idea".....but you are a bright young man....and a great resource for the forum....your offer and effort is much appreciated by all ......Being a long time collector of the SAA....lettering a gun is like a treasure hunt....needle in the haystack for that WOW letter.... in your look ups for letters....have you ever had one of those WOW moments....when you saw where it was shipped ?.... Thanks again for your above and beyond call of duty..... Tony

Colt Archivist

Member #
    Liked
    2821 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewayad View Post
    OK now that you are asking, there has been a debate for quite some time regarding a Python finish from the early 80's "Royal Coltguard" which you told me on the phone was the same finish as e-nickel.
    Brochures from the 80's say its the identical process as the standard Coltguard but at a much higher polished finish. So out of curiosity I have seen boxes both marked "Coltguard" and "E-NICK" and my letter shows "Coltguard" not Royal Coltguard and I saw another letter from someone here sent back to them as E-Nickel, was the "Royal" just for marketing and why the inconsistency on boxes and letters.
    Just wondering
    RoyalColtGuardAd_zpscede25bd.jpg
    Another good one (and relatively common question). It is another matter of what was recorded. Early e-nickel / Coltguard guns letter as "Electroless Nickel" - thats what all of the invoices say (they provide a standard blued model number, ie I3660 with a separate line item charge for "special nickel finish", being the Enickel), just a guestimate from 1979 until maybe 1981 or so. There could be, of course, stragglers in there. Then, after using the finish for a while, the invoicing then turns to "Coltguard" (including coltguard specific model numbers, ie I3860 for a 6" coltguard python). As far as the "Royal Coltguard", I have never seen any actual invoicing using that terminology before (if there are invoices that say it, I haven't encountered them), but my guess is that the "royal" designation refers to the level of polishing specific to your Pythons vs, say, a Trooper or Lawman.
    gatewayad likes this.
    Colt Archivist /

Colt Archivist

Member #
    Liked
    2821 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post
    Thank you for "appearing" here in the Center of the Colt Universe and offering to answer archive letter questions!

My question is, how many letter requests, as an average, come in per day, week or month?
    Not including expedited researches, we get anywhere between 75-100 a week. Of course, we also get our 15, 25, 50, and the occasional 100 letter orders also.
    Colt Archivist /

Member #
    Liked
    2495 times
    I have a few general questions I'd love to have answered: how "big" is the Archives in actual physical size; how much square/cubic footage in space does it take up? (I don't know if the company would be interested in making such, but I'd love to see something like a short video showing how a typical Letter request is handled, seeing the actual records and how the research is done would be neat! It could be a good "sales promotional" measure bringing in more letter requests, so while we get "entertained" the company would be helping to promote more sales.)

How much of the records has been digitized (I know it has been discussed here, and some have stated that certain amounts of the records have been digitized), and are there efforts to digitize everything? What's the time-frame on any digitization efforts?

And follow up to that, will digitization help make the turn-around time for letter requests faster, or is there still a lot of "tedious" work reviewing written records and looking at the electronic pages won't really speed the process?
    Zebadiah likes this.

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links