Colt Archives
Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 550
Like Tree482Likes

Thread: Colt Archives

  1. #1
    Colt Archivist

    Member #
    23091
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,097
    Liked
    2823 times

    Colt Archives

    Hi everyone,

    I know a few people here are aware of my presence now, but I just wanted to make it known to everyone (whether that is a mistake, we will soon find out ). I'm Paul from the Colt Archives, and i've noticed a good number of threads which have factory letter & record questions, which I have seen answered correctly and incorrectly. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone here has about either our process, what kind of records are available, and even try to answer questions on some of the inconsistencies or oddities that you all may have seen in factory letters. I won't be able to answer questions on "does this gun look right" or anything like that (as there are FAR more knowledgable people than myself when it comes to the physical characteristics), but anything related to the documentation contained in the archives at Colt I'll be more than happy to answer. I'd prefer if any questions come through this thread rather than through private messages, or maybe we could make a sticky thread for it, that way any questions & answers can be shared & available for the entire community to use.

    Please view the attached link to the Colt Archive Services Website for general information, sample letters, and ordering information.

    http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Archive-Services

    Paul
    Last edited by pds03003; 04-14-2016 at 05:09 AM.
    Colt Archivist /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    / 800-962-2658 ext. 1849.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Member #
    20175
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9,605
    Liked
    11568 times
    My question is on the Colt Super .38 Automatic, and why the Colt letter calls it a .38 Super. The pistol was a Super .38 and the ammo .38 Super.
    pds03003 and ponyup like this.

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    Member #
    12127
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    66
    Liked
    43 times
    Thank you Paul.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Colt Archivist

    Member #
    23091
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,097
    Liked
    2823 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    My question is on the Colt Super .38 Automatic, and why the Colt letter calls it a .38 Super. The pistol was a Super .38 and the ammo .38 Super.
    Excellent question. Best answer is that the shipping ledgers are recorded as ".38 Super Auto". I believe that advertisements do refer to the model as the "Super .38" which of course leads to inconsistencies (thank you, record keepers!), but when it comes to factory letters, we use a very strict interpretation of the information contained in the ledgers. Hope this helps,

    Paul
    Colt Archivist /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    / 800-962-2658 ext. 1849.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  6. #5
    Banned

    Member #
    12518
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    7,712
    Liked
    6531 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pds03003 View Post
    Excellent question. Best answer is that the shipping ledgers are recorded as ".38 Super Auto". I believe that advertisements do refer to the model as the "Super .38" which of course leads to inconsistencies (thank you, record keepers!), but when it comes to factory letters, we use a very strict interpretation of the information contained in the ledgers. Hope this helps,

    Paul
    Makes perfect sense and thank you for wading into the swamp Paul. I've talked to you a few times in the past and I applaud your courteous and professional manner in which you dealt with my queries. An asset to the Colt Forum.

    Jeff




  7. #6
    Senior Member

    Member #
    18458
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    1,075
    Liked
    1881 times
    I've gone on the Colt Site trying to find the year of mf'g (sometime in the 1980's)
    But the site says it shows no record.
    What's the cut off date for late 3 gen.?
    Nice to have you on board.

  8. #7
    Senior Member

    Member #
    20175
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9,605
    Liked
    11568 times
    The pistols themselves were stamped Super .38, and advertising as well as correspondence of the day refers to them as a Super .38. Whether the scribe that entered the information in the ledger was referring to the caliber we will probably never know, but nonetheless a mistake carries on.

  9. #8
    Senior Member

    Member #
    22850
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,368
    Liked
    691 times
    Hi Paul,
    Very nice of you to offer help on the forum for people interested in lettering their guns.
    I want to personally thank you for the help you have provided me over the phone with simple questions I have needed answering in the past.
    I have a letter I am patiently waiting on now that I called and ordered from you 829 on 8-26-14, it's a simple one just basically wanting configuration verification on a 2.5" Python as I am seeing more and more on the auction sites with what looks like changed barrels to add value
    thanks again for the offer of help to the forum and keep up the good work
    Joe

  10. #9
    Colt Archivist

    Member #
    23091
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,097
    Liked
    2823 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmi View Post
    I've gone on the Colt Site trying to find the year of mf'g (sometime in the 1980's)
    But the site says it shows no record.
    What's the cut off date for late 3 gen.?
    Nice to have you on board.
    I don't think there is a cutoff on the website. It is just an incomplete database that does not contain every model, or serial number, and there are also some errors in there too that we have found. Its a work in progress, but our more technologically inclined people at Colt are working on completing it. I have received many a panicked phone call from people who don't think their gun exists.
    rockislandauction likes this.
    Colt Archivist /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    / 800-962-2658 ext. 1849.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  11. #10
    Colt Archivist

    Member #
    23091
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,097
    Liked
    2823 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewayad View Post
    Hi Paul,
    Very nice of you to offer help on the forum for people interested in lettering their guns.
    I want to personally thank you for the help you have provided me over the phone with simple questions I have needed answering in the past.
    I have a letter I am patiently waiting on now that I called and ordered from you 829 on 8-26-14, it's a simple one just basically wanting configuration verification on a 2.5" Python as I am seeing more and more on the auction sites with what looks like changed barrels to add value
    thanks again for the offer of help to the forum and keep up the good work
    Joe
    Should be coming soon. We are wrapping up most of the stuff that came in around that time period.
    gatewayad likes this.
    Colt Archivist /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    / 800-962-2658 ext. 1849.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


 
Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. How do you store your Colt Archives letters?
    By weagle99 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-18-2013, 02:33 PM
  2. Colt Archives Letter Received For 1957 Python
    By Kanatak in forum Colt Revolvers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 01:00 AM
  3. Colt Archives letters ?
    By Tom C. in forum Colt Revolvers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 03:38 PM
  4. How to get a Colt archives letter?
    By Paula_Lanngos in forum New Members Introduction
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 10:57 AM
  5. Colt Archives
    By capone in forum Colt Revolvers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 07:50 AM

Search tags for this page

archives
,
colt archive historical services
,

colt archives

,
https://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/86396-colt-archives-53.html#post2929107
,
krakauer zork & moye
,
krakauer zork & moye colt records
,
krakauer zork moy colt
,
krakauer, zork and moe
,
ridley
Click on a term to search for related topics.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
We are not associated with Colt's Manufacturing LLC. We are an enthusiast site comprised of Colt Fans.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.