• 1 Post By snubnose
  • 2 Post By Crossfire

Thread: Caliber in Self-Defense Doesn't Matter:

gvf

Member #
    Liked
    2539 times

Caliber in Self-Defense Doesn't Matter:

NO! DON'T HIT ME! I'm repeating something I read, written as a self-evident truth. After thinking about it, seems very logical.

Here's why Caliber of ammo does not matter in Self-Defense:

No sane person is going to continue to move in on you with a stream of bullets hitting him, 22lr, .357 mag, 45acp, no matter. Many, about 80%, flee at the just the presentation of a gun, any gun. Start firing and they're either down or gone with the wind. Now the .357 Mag may stop him dead. But the point of SD is not to kill, make fall down a distance away, wound grievously or any combination. It's to stop and attack. And firing ANYTHING will just as likely stop an attack as using THESE CALIBERS but not THOSE.

[This has to mentioned because this came up in an actual case. ONLY for that reason I'm going to include it, give one very distant (from the scene) observation and then BEG you not to make this Thread about that case.
    ......In one recent case, according to the Officer's testimony, a wounded person came at him and at his pointed gun. This was not everyone's testimony though. So what of that as proof the assertion above is not true. My observation is it's confused as to what actually transpired, and the "came at him" may have been a stagger from being wounded or something similar that the officer in all honesty believed was the start of a run at him. And, for this very reason: that I think it not within the realm of sane human behavior to run into the same gun that just shot you, it's my little SOLE opinion of ONLY MY OWN, that the Officer's general testimony is self-believed but not accurate for this point and, independently, on SOME other points. (Not All). In any case, something so varied in accounts cannot be reliable to disprove or prove anything in my view.]

Back to the Thread Topic and assertion decscribed:I think Caliber not mattering is logical and would be the case the great majority of the time. Especially accurate considering the motive of a perp is usually to get some fast and easy money, or a fast and easy hit over the head if that is what he enjoys and his hope is that it will be a simple task as he nears you. If not, he doesn't want the Invasion of Normandy and has no motive to grab at your wallet with his last bloody breath or take one futile swing at your head before he expires. If he's still able, it's Back to Kansas and have a better night next time - or he's flat on the ground.

So, if true, ammo differences would only be for the Insane or Drugged to Insanity Perp. But since the chances of any one of us needing to shoot in Self-Defense is extremely remote to begin with, the chances of both being in such a situation AND in one with so-Insane a perp is beyond measurable, or close to it. For the same reason, extreme improbability, we don't walk around in Bio-Hazard Suits to avoid Ebola, Germ Warfare or Bubonic Plague - even though any could happen.

This all is merely my view..
    Last edited by gvf; 12-13-2014 at 12:59 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    5368 times
    It ('Caliber') may not mater every time...but it will matter enough-of-the-time, to matter when it matters.
    Crossfire, Abwehr, Igor and 2 others like this.

gvf

Member #
    Liked
    2539 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    It ('Caliber') may not mater every time...but it will matter enough-of-the-time, to matter when it matters.
    But so would Plague, every year there are cases of Bubonic Plague in the U.S. So would anything a danger. But dangers are prioritized by likelihood. With all the cars on the road, very infrequently there are brake failures, but I've never heard of anyone installing two emergency brakes to protect life from such an invent - or installing fire hoses throughout their house to prevent death by fire (and deaths by fire are common). Few would have no Smoke Alarms or take out their one installed emergency brake. And few of us that believe it wise to do so would stop Carrying.

For me at times I Carry a Beretta 20, .25 Cal. I just don't believe someone shot 8 times in the face is still going to come at me saying "well it's just a .25" And the Insane-Killer I don't expect to meet.

Course, whatever gets you through the night.
    Last edited by gvf; 12-13-2014 at 01:33 AM.
    claudel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1038 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gvf View Post
    ...And the Insane-Killer I don't expect to meet...

No one does.
    Crossfire and Hootch56 like this.
    The only man Wild Bill Hickok stated that he feared: James Currie 1840 - 1899. Gunman without peer.

gvf

Member #
    Liked
    2539 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boge View Post
    No one does.
    And out of 200,000,000 (100 Mil we'll say are too young or too old to be on the streets) hardly any who's CCWing does get attacked by one and is killed by the Insane person shot multiple times while running at him.

Member #
    Liked
    5368 times
    I can't tell if you are merely trying to be ridiculous, or, succeeding.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Here in Alaska....I would rather have my .44 mag or my .454 to deal with possible bear threats better than a .38 or a .22
    Hootch56 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    892 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gvf View Post
    And the Insane-Killer I don't expect to meet.
    "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
    claudel and bmcgilvray like this.
    "A society that is more concerned with its privileges than its principles will have neither." Dwight Eisenhower

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links