Safest way to conceal carry a revolver?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Safest way to conceal carry a revolver?

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Safest way to conceal carry a revolver?

Hey guys.
    I am still very new to conceal carrying.
    I currently carry a 1908 .380 in condition 3 (no round in the chamber). I know that's not ideal, but that's what I'm doing til I'm completely comfortable.

I'm picking up a 1951 detective special tomorrow. I'd really like to carry it.
    It just makes me a little nervous to have 6 rounds in the cylinder.

Is the 1951 detective special drop safe?
    Is there anything else I should be worried about with carrying it loaded? And if so, is there a "safe" way to carry it? Could you carry with the chamber on the hammer empty?

I'm comfortable handling the guns and I am very safe and aware when I am conceal carrying, but I am still very new to this and I just get a little nervous. So I want to make sure I am taking any precautions I can until I am 100% comfortable.

Thanks!
    Last edited by comma; 01-10-2015 at 07:43 PM.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Yes, the DS is drop safe. Get a good holster for it, load it up with 6 rounds and you're good to go. Never put it in your pocket without a pocket holster.
    U.S. Navy 1967-1988
    Retired E-8; AXCS
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    Claire Wolfe

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4091 times
    The Detective Special has the "Positive Lock" introduced on Colt double-action revolvers in the early 20th century. It is completely safe to carry with a live round under the hammer.

Your Model 1908 is not, however. A drop on a hard surface "just so," will cause the pistol to discharge. In the recent past, a writer was killed when his Model 1903 Hammerless dropped out of his waste band onto his concrete garage floor, and the gun fired, killing him.
    bmcgilvray, 1903joe and VaqueroAZ like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post
    The Detective Special has the "Positive Lock" introduced on Colt double-action revolvers in the early 20th century. It is completely safe to carry with a live round under the hammer.

Your Model 1908 is not, however. A drop on a hard surface "just so," will cause the pistol to discharge. In the recent past, a writer was killed when his Model 1903 Hammerless dropped out of his waste band onto his concrete garage floor, and the gun fired, killing him.
    This is why I carry in condition three with the old colt autos.

I just wasn't completely sure of the safety of carrying revolvers.

Somebody dropped a revolver they were carrying out of their waistband in a cracker barrel near here years ago and it went off, sending a round through the wall and into someones food.

I understand you want to be as ready as possible to fire the weapon, I am just at a stage right now where I would rather carry it as safe as possible until I am very comfortable.

And I never carry anything without a holster.
    The detective I will probably always have in a iwb. I don't know that I would ever just stick it in my pocket. (even with a holster).

Member #
    Liked
    419 times
    I carry my Colt DS in an El Paso Saddlery "Double Agent" holster. I also occasionally carry a S&W 640 in a Don Hume "J.I.T." slide holster.

On occasion, I do carry a pistol or the 640 literally in my coat pocket. No exposed hammer guns in the pocket, though. I've carried my Colt Government .380 in a pocket, and even a Beretta 70S (.32 ACP).

Carrying any gun in Condition 3 will increase the odds that you can't get it drawn, and ready to fire. An assailant can close, and injure you from 21 feet before you can draw and shoot a weapon, even in Condition 1.

Self-defense is about situational awareness, and Condition 3 adds to the complexity of the equation. If your gun isn't safe enough to be carried in Condition 1, it shouldn't be carried in a holster or pocket.
    Hemi45, Blademan and VaqueroAZ like this.
    Best, Dennis
    The American republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. - Alexis de Tocqueville
    Fortitudo et Veneratio

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    930 times
    I think the best way to carry a wheel gun is with a pocket holster in the pocket that matches your draw. I'm right handed and carry in my right pocket if I take a DA snubby as my carry. I take it out while driving and have it in the vehicle easily accessible, as it is uncomfortable while sitting/driving to carry in the front left or front right pocket.
    Mustango likes this.
    My drinking buddies have a hunting problem.

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by comma View Post
    And I never carry anything without a holster.
    The detective I will probably always have in a iwb. I don't know that I would ever just stick it in my pocket. (even with a holster).
    When it's really cold outside, and people wear many layers to stay warm, they find that the extra clothing detracts from their being able to draw a concealed firearm. That being the case, some simply slip it into the pocket of their outter-most garment. This is a prescription for disaster if you don't contain the firearm in a holster designed for pocket carry.

Knowing that you would not do this is comforting, but rest assured, there are some idiots out there who would.
    I'm just sayin' . . .
    comma, Joel6180 and Kraaaken like this.
    U.S. Navy 1967-1988
    Retired E-8; AXCS
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    Claire Wolfe

Member #
    Liked
    10719 times
    If you're already afraid of your sidearm - find something else.

Don't carry a piece because you think that carrying vintage is cool.

If a situation arises that causes the draw and the pulling of the trigger - that situation is happening so fast that it's almost incomprehensible and all of your training (and please say that you've been thoroughly trained, and haven't just watched movies) must be instinctual.

Your screwing around activating a defensive weapon that may be instrumental in the saving of someone else's life or your own can result in your death.
    Hemi45, Mustango and VaqueroAZ like this.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    If you're already afraid of your sidearm - find something else.

Don't carry a piece because you think that carrying vintage is cool.

If a situation arises that causes the draw and the pulling of the trigger - that situation is happening so fast that it's almost incomprehensible and all of your training (and please say that you've been thoroughly trained, and haven't just watched movies) must be instinctual.

Your screwing around activating a defensive weapon that may be instrumental in the saving of someone else's life or your own can result in your death.
    I'm not afraid, I've just never carried a revolver so I want to ask the guys who do about any safety measures I can take.
    Accidents happen to the most seasoned gun owners, and that is the only thing that "scares" me. So I'm just trying to minimize the risk of that without compromising why I'm actually carrying.

I'm new to this. If every new person to carrying had no questions or concerns about sticking a loaded gun in their pants, I would be very very concerned. It's a process for me.
    I will get to a point where I am 100% comfortable, but that shouldn't be right off the bat for anyone who understands the seriousness of carrying.
    navajoRN, TBone and VaqueroAZ like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3602 times
    I like the old Colt autos, but I can't understand carrying them for life protection when there are much better choices today.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links