Anybody involved in 4H Shooting Sports programs for youth?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By navajoRN
  • 2 Post By Blackjack33
  • 2 Post By MtnSpur
  • 1 Post By Ken Hill
  • 2 Post By Mac

Thread: Anybody involved in 4H Shooting Sports programs for youth?

Member #
    Liked
    312 times

Anybody involved in 4H Shooting Sports programs for youth?

Now that I am a certified NRA instructor and a Well Armed Woman instructor and chapter leader, I'd like to get involved in leading/supporting youth shooting sports. I spent a fair amount of time this afternoon reading through the National 4H website and am pleased that the shooting sports include youth from 8-18 years old. My vision is to create a sister girls 4H program in my area that is partnered with my women's TWAW chapter.

Any experience you've had with the organization/program would be greatly appreciated!

Gun Girls.jpg4H Shooting Sports logo.jpg
    ColtsDad and RedRiverII like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWAW Chapter Leader ~ Certified NRA and TWAW Instructor ~ NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    1021 times
    NavajoRN - My son went through this program while in 4-H and it was a great experience. This was 30 years ago but, in addition to everything I had taught him, it helped develop his shooting skills and his appreciation and respect for firearms in general. I bought him a Marlin Glenfield .22 bolt action rifle which he used in the program and he still shoots it occasionally. All four of our kids were in 4-H and it was a great experience for them.
    ColtsDad and navajoRN like this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    6531 times
    Texas State Rifle Association, named this past year as the leader for states getting people and youngsters involved in shooting sports, is my go to org as I'm not involved in the 4H.

That said, I attempt to introduce young folks (usually from 16-24 years of age) into safe gun handling and target practice. They are typically friends of my "kids" or neighbors "kids". They don't get a certificate, just the basics for safety and responsible gun ownership and some shooting time. I can shoot on my property for handgun but long guns I'll guest em to my gun club for a session. We often start here at the house with uncomplicated firearms for safety and discussion about how a firearm works. I KISS for them so as not to scare or overwhelm them. Revolvers from .22 to .38 Special are the typical fare with .22 rifle practice with iron sights and scope. Once made the mistake of handling one young fella my .30-30 Winchester and the recoil kick kinda opened his eyes a bit. He wasn't quite ready for a larger caliber and I think he pulled the stock a wee bit away from his shoulder anticipating "the bang", I think it left a mark .....

RedRiverII and navajoRN like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    We at the Lakeland Rifle and Pistol Club are heavily involved with the 4H, Police Explorers, homeschooler's and Scouts in shooting programs ranging from the littlest of kids (rug shooters) to teens. We have no fee for these events and generally provide one coach for two shooters.

They have a classroom session regarding the safe handling of firearms and are introduced to the weapons they will be shooting. There with their parents and/or guardian they get a really good foundation for the event. This is reinforced again at the range. Participants are boys and girls and the age limit is the ability to comprehend instruction and demonstrate good shooting fundamentals.

The club was awarded a substantial grant from the Elizabeth Colt Foundation and the monies received went for weapons, ammo, targets and other items needed to have a successful program. I can refer you to the clubs website (which is currently down) for maintenance. Try later at www.lrpc.org and go the "Events" section and then "Junior Program."

Hope this answers your question .... good luck. It's a worthwhile thing for the kids and you will not be disappointed.
    navajoRN likes this.

Mac

Member #
    Liked
    520 times
    Many years ago I worked with the coed 4H shooting program where we use the range on the second floor of the of the old Armory building in Golden CO. The Armory has since been made into apartments and some retail. More recently, I attempted to hook-up again with the 4H program but my contact, who was initially eager for some help, later became a little protective of his turf and declined my offer to help.
    Good luck with your plan.
    Mac
    Attached Images Attached Images
    nowinca and navajoRN like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links