Colt Forum banner

Sawn-off firearms photos (any gun that has been introduced to a hacksaw blade)

189K views 219 replies 87 participants last post by  victorio1sw 
#1 · (Edited)
Due to my interest in short barreled firearms of any type, I wanted to start a thread dedicated to this. Post pics of any firearm that has been cut down to size. Any gun that got a little too close to a hacksaw blade :)

First off is my Remington Model 11. Its "The Sportsman" Model from around 1936. I cut the barrel back to around 14 inches then had the Cutts compensator welded back on to make it legal. I replaced the original 2 shot magazine with a 4 shot from Numrich arms. Had to wittle out the forend so the Cutts would clear the stock in recoil since the whole barrel moves back and forth in firing. (broke the first forend by not cutting it back far enough.) I've got less than 200 in it I think. It would have been way less if I didn't break the first forend :eek:. The gun itself I picked up at the Waterville gun show for $125.
Not bad for a nice little Bonnie Parker shotgun.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's one

Started as a Danish rolling block, redone to 30-30 with a piece of a 308 bbl from a Remington 700. Don't know about the receiver sight, it has been modified some as well. Someone must have had something very specific in mind when they built this.

Barreled action view

Action

rayb

Reactions: Matchlock
#3 ·
Started as a Danish rolling block, redone to 30-30 with a piece of a 308 bbl from a Remington 700. Don't know about the receiver sight, it has been modified some as well. Someone must have had something very specific in mind when they built this.

Barreled action view

Action

rayb
A Fitz Special Rifle! Or carbine. Now I've seen it all. Very nice.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Is this "SAWED-OFF" legal????
All legal and proper under the National Firearms Act of 1934 as well as my state law. I submitted a Form 1 to the NFA branch of ATF, a certificate of Compliance statement and fingerprint cards along with a check for $200, BEFORE I did the conversion. I waited a while and the Form 1 came back with a $200 stamp on it.

So yes it is very "Legal".

#13 ·
My dad had an affinity for shorter barrels. He never used anything but a hacksaw and hand files.

His first was a Marlin 1894 .357 that he chopped down to 16". This meant that a new front sight dovetail had to be cut along with the screw cutout under the barrel for the barrel band. When he was done, you couldn't tell it wasn't done at the factory. I had him cut mine down as well:

My father also cut down my Marlin 336 .35 to make it into a Scout Rifle for me:

He cut this Ruger Single Six down to 4 5/8", as you can see by the barrel length stated on its box:

Of course, I had to have him cut my little .22 single action down as well:

My Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum was trimmed down to 16" and is a really fast handling gun:

#15 ·
Here's a photo of my Remington Model 11 wearing it's spare "hose" barrel.

Here it is (bottom) with its original barrel along with my brother-in-laws Savage Model 720 and a duck haul from a few years back. We had a Browning designed auto-loader duck hunt. I acquired the neat old Remington Model 11 from the original owner who bought it new in 1931.

#17 · (Edited)
Here it is as I brought it home yesterday. $125 Western Field.
Waaay too long:

Going under the cutting wheel:

Much better. Now I'm not knocking over lamps and waterglasses everytime I turn around in the house with it:

The next step is to turn it into a copy of this shotgun that was possibly used in the St. Valentines Day Massacre:

I'll keep you updated...

#20 ·
The shotgun at the bottom is from a screen shot from History Detectives. Not my gun.
There was a show about a shotgun that may have been used in the St. Valentines day Massacre. I liked the look of it so much I am going to copy it. I'll probably do this stock this weekend.

#19 ·
when I cut the 30 inch bbl of my '97 Winch. to 26, I made a new front sight using non lead tin solder. I drilled a depression, not a hole in the bbl. and then heated it and put a drop of solder in the hole. It is low heat stuff, silver based, and stuck and formed a round bead. I've used it many times since and no problem.... Looks great too...Ken

#28 ·
#29 ·
Your Western Field also looks a lot likethe one in the Texas Ranger Museum, as shown in this link:

http://texashideout.tripod.com/guns.html
Cool. I've looked at that site before and always thought it was great.
Never noticed the sawed off 520 before. Seems like a few gangsters liked to modify that shotgun. Probably because you could just run down to Sears or Montgomery Ward and pick one up along with a hacksaw and some shells and go to town!

#30 ·
I have

a 20 gauge Browning A5, made during the 2nd World War; a pretty gun, made by Remington in New York but marked St. Louis. I original configuration it would probably be worth $400 or so; but it has a poly choke and after market buttpad. It will make a nice Whippet; when I get the nerve to cut the barrel and stock...

It will make a fine conversion!

#33 · (Edited)
Baker Batavia Leader 12 ga. Ends of both BBL's. were dented so it went to 18 1/2".

I call it "the crowd pleaser".

This 1950 Combat Masterpiece was professionally shortened to 3". It was my Dad's gun.
Very accurate, I won a couple old style PPC and IPSC matches with it in 1983, 84.

#36 ·
Love that "sawed off" Combat Masterpiece! And those shotguns are pretty neat, too.

Personally I don't saw off vintage shotguns unless there's something wrong with the front of the barrels. But given how often people trip when hunting and fill up the barrels with mud or snow and then fire off a load, there are PLENTY of shotguns out there with wrecked muzzles..... I've even found some that were so dented around the front 1/3 of the barrel that they needed to be cut. But I usually find a used Cutts or Polychoke and fit that, or have a gunsmith put in choke tubes if it's a double. I have a Savage 333 20 ga O/U that was in a car wreck. It needed a completely new buttstock and I had the mashed first 4" of the barrels cut off and choke tubes fitted. Now it's a great gun for tight cover and would be OK for a house gun, too. Has 22" barrels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.