Colt Forum banner

More RESIN-IVORY+S. (Picture Heavy)

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  GUN NUT 
#1 ·
I took this Uberti 1851 Navy Conversion and fitted the Resin Ivory + S to it. I found it harder to work than Ivory and found it chipped easily when dropped on the cement floor! Tried heating a piece of scrap to see if it would soften or turn color; it did neither. It got a burnt look and would chip and flake more easily then. I had to patch up a couple of chips and did that with dust from sanding mixed with epoxy. I tried to photo the finished grips to show the "grain" but not too successful. I have trouble with white grips on a blue gun....the photos just faded out for me. Anyway, here is what I have ended up with, for now: Thanks for looking.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks men. Fitting just takes time and patience. Put them on; mark the high points; take them off; sand; put them on; mark the high points; take them off; sand; ..... and on and on. I am looking for a cheap, black slim jim holster for it now. There are a few on EBay for '51s and '60s but with the ejector housing I am not sure if this gun would work in one of those. Anyone with experience with holsters for conversions/open tops? Thanks again for the nice comments.

#9 · (Edited)
You did an excellent job on those and the grain looks great. I made this holster for my 1860 John Gren conversion about 25 years ago. 1851 Navy fit's perfect in it except 1/2" shorter inside muzzle area which doesn't matter. Being a lefty the ejector housing isn't seen bulging out a little like the other side.

aluminum hydroxide symbol

#12 ·
It is actually a Cimarron but I think there is no difference between them and the maker's (Uberti) colors. Is the chip you noticed along the backstrap, left side near the top? I did patch that but did not let the epoxy set up long enough before I worked with it, so it came off. I will redo that chip in the future. I was just too excited to have them practically done that I couldn't wait any longer to do the photos. When I have them off to repair that chip I may do a little more "refined" sanding here and there. Thanks!

#14 ·
Nice Job on the grips and the grain shows up well on my monitor. I have an 1860 Cimarron conversion and a '72 Open Top. The 1860 fit fine in a Wolf Ears percussion Slim Jim I have. The '72 is a 7.5" Navy style and it fit in a '51 / '61 Navy holster I have after I did the hot water soak trick. Wrap the oiled gun in one layer saran wrap and wet the inside of the holster with warm water. Leave the gun in till it dries and it should fit fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.