Thread: Show us your .25 ACP pistols !!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    600 times
    Here are the little .25 caliber Colts in my stable:
    P9010042.JPG

The top one is a NIB 1913 with that beautiful deep blue polished Colt finish and MOP grips.
    Second is a nickel 1918 which lettered as shipping with the smooth walnut grips which, per Brunner's book, is one of only 75 shipped with these grips. It has the aftermarket purse that fit early models.
    Third is a 1926 NIB gun that Sam Lisker helped me acquire years ago, which started my collection of Colts.
    Last edited by ketch33; 09-16-2019 at 06:23 AM.
    Kurusu, Coltautos, ei8ht and 12 others like this.
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1084 times
    [QUOTE=ei8ht;3048975]
    Quote Originally Posted by thecoltguy View Post

Who Me?...The only thing in my pockets is the lint the dryer missed.....
    Understandable dilemma given the shiny objects you have accumulated. Here are my meager three...
    DSCF1977.JPGDSCF1986.JPG

Two of them are pretty ordinary, a Model N from 1911 and Browning Baby from 1954. But it's the middle one that is a mystery. It bears a superficial resemblance to the Colt, but is completely and totally unmarked. No brand name, no trademark, no country of origin, nothing but what appears to be a four digit serial number and the letters "S" and "F" denoting the "safe" and "fire" positions of the safety.

DSCF1978.JPGDSCF1979.JPGDSCF1991.JPG
    Last edited by old tanker; 09-01-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    ei8ht, WVCOLT, cda926 and 6 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1084 times

Mystery .25 auto

It superficially resembles a Colt 1908 but is quite different beyond the lack of a grip safety. The safety is above the trigger and actually is handier there than the Colt safety. The guttersnipe sight lacks even the vestigial nub of a front sight. It has a magazine disconnect which prevents firing with the magazine removed. Standard external extractor and a fixed frame mounted ejector, unlike the Colt or Browning which use the striker to eject the spent case.

DSCF1981.JPGDSCF1982.JPGDSCF1990.JPG

Internally, it is not striker fired like the Colt. You can see the hammer (circled in the fired position) as well as assembly numbers on the major components. The trigger shows evidence of jeweling and the internal machine work is unremarkable.

numbers.jpgDSCF1985.JPG

I have had the pistol for fifty years. It shoots well and has been totally reliable with .25 caliber FMJ ball. Accuracy on a par with its brethren. It was of indeterminate age when I got it. The person who had it before me knew nothing about except it was in a cigar box in his parents garage that got overlooked during the estate sale.

It reminds me of the Spanish copies of the Colt that were abundant in the Twenties and Thirties, but they all seemed to be prominently marked with fanciful names like "Paramount", "Destroyer", "Bufalo" unlike the Eibar regions better gunmakers. This one is as sterile as a suppressed .22 seen in some exotic land during my mispent youth.

Anyone have a clue as to what it is?
    Last edited by old tanker; 09-01-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    WVCOLT, ei8ht, Kurusu and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3967 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old tanker View Post
    It superficially resembles a Colt 1908 but is quite different beyond the lack of a grip safety. The safety is above the trigger and actually is handier there than the Colt safety. The guttersnipe sight lacks even the vestigial nub of a front sight. It has a magazine disconnect which prevents firing with the magazine removed. Standard external extractor and a fixed frame mounted ejector, unlike the Colt or Browning which use the striker to eject the spent case.

Internally, it is not striker fired like the Colt. You can see the hammer (circled in the fired position) as well as assembly numbers on the major components. The trigger shows evidence of jeweling and the internal machine work is unremarkable.

I have had the pistol for fifty years. It shoots well and has been totally reliable with .25 caliber FMJ ball. Accuracy on a par with its brethren. It was of indeterminate age when I got it. The person who had it before me knew nothing about except it was in a cigar box in his parents garage that got overlooked during the estate sale.

It reminds me of the Spanish copies of the Colt that were abundant in the Twenties and Thirties, but they all seemed to be prominently marked with fanciful names like "Paramount", "Destroyer", "Bufalo" unlike the Eibar regions better gunmakers. This one is as sterile as a suppressed .22 seen in some exotic land during my mispent youth.

Anyone have a clue as to what it is?
    My bet would be a Spanish "Ruby", made by a manufacturer not proud enough to put his name on it, and not shrewd enough to call it a Colt. The hinged trigger is one giveaway, and if you remove the left grip panel you'll probably find a Ruby style trigger bar.
    old tanker, ei8ht, Kurusu and 4 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

Member #
    Liked
    1084 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Olle View Post
    My bet would be a Spanish "Ruby", made by a manufacturer not proud enough to put his name on it, and not shrewd enough to call it a Colt. The hinged trigger is one giveaway, and if you remove the left grip panel you'll probably find a Ruby style trigger bar.
    I agree, it is most likely some kind of "Ruby" It has that style trigger system. You can see the nicely fire blued disconnector in this picture. It runs behind the left grip panel between the slide and the trigger bar.

disconnector.jpg
    Kurusu, Olle, ei8ht and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    285 times
    I always thought the "Ruby" pistols were .32 caliber? Any proof marks on it?

Here are some of mine. A Lignose Einhand, Mauser 1910, Fegyvergyar Frommer Liliput and an Astra Hope. The Einhand is interesting in that it can be carried with an empty chamber and one merely pulls back on the trigger guard to retract the slide and chamber a round - quick and safe! It holds 9 rounds as well I believe. The Astra came to me without grips and with a crushed grip frame magazine housing. I can't tell you how many hours I spent working over a lead block with homemade punches to get it straight again. It works fine now - I also had to make some grips for it too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    2119 times
    The Lignose Einhand is an interesting pistol. There are some good YouTube videos by a person who goes by the name of LifeSizePotato and he reviews his Lignose Einhand. He has an eclectic collection. A member here under a different name ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g72i8Ts1WpM
    ei8ht, WVCOLT, cda926 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1084 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    I always thought the "Ruby" pistols were .32 caliber? Any proof marks on it?

Here are some of mine. A Lignose Einhand, Mauser 1910, Fegyvergyar Frommer Liliput and an Astra Hope. The Einhand is interesting in that it can be carried with an empty chamber and one merely pulls back on the trigger guard to retract the slide and chamber a round - quick and safe! It holds 9 rounds as well I believe. The Astra came to me without grips and with a crushed grip frame magazine housing. I can't tell you how many hours I spent working over a lead block with homemade punches to get it straight again. It works fine now - I also had to make some grips for it too.
    There are no proof marks. Absolutely no marks other than the serial number "8561" and "S" and "F" on the left side of the frame. The slide, safety and barrel all have "87" stamped on them, presumably an assembly number.

Amazing work on the Astra!

The "Ruby" the French adopted in 1914 started off as a reasonable design in .32. Soon after, it seems, every Basque with a forge and a file was making knock offs

Pistolet Automatique de 7 millim.65 genre "Ruby"

Last edited by old tanker; 09-02-2019 at 07:01 AM.
    ei8ht, WVCOLT, Kurusu and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22408 times
    Pictures of my Baby FN:

Member #
    Liked
    3967 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old tanker View Post
    I agree, it is most likely some kind of "Ruby" It has that style trigger system. You can see the nicely fire blued disconnector in this picture. It runs behind the left grip panel between the slide and the trigger bar.
    Yes, that type of disconnector is typical for the Ruby design. The "no name" Rubys are usually a bit rough around the edges, but it looks like your gun is pretty nicely made?
    ei8ht likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links