Vintage *Arvo Ojala * COLT Double HOLSTER

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Vintage *Arvo Ojala * COLT Double HOLSTER

IMG_1563.JPGIMG_1564.JPGIMG_1565.JPGIMG_1566.JPGIMG_1573.JPG

Curious if someone knows the $ Value $ of this COLT holster. Is it * Rare * ?

Read an article, one of the least-encountered stampings was produced during the 1960s, when Arvo Ojala was performing fast-draw exhibitions in Las Vegas in conjunction with COLT, during which time a limited number of his rigs were stamped "Made in U.S.A." along with the *COLT* logo and Arvo's name.

I have this Double holster with the OVAL stamping " Made in the USA " with the stamped " Colt " - Designed by " Arvo Ojala " Pat# 2832519

Looks to have maybe been for a 22 Long ? - saw the stamping L 22 ?

Buckle has an ANCHOR stamped on the back

Very nice condition, stitching and leather is very nice !

Only thing -- is -- Belt Strap with holes , has been cut short to size
    Last edited by Coltbolt; 11-09-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    12338 times
    I think the extra Colt marking raises the value somewhat but don't know how much. The holsters are the later style that dips down in front of the cylinder. I'm not sure when that changed but I thought around the early to mid 60s. There are Ojala double rigs that have been sitting on Ebay r quite a while starting at $899 I believe. They are later angled holsters. In the picture below is my black rig ordered new in 1985. The brown holster is the older style and I made the belt to match. The little rig I made for my son in the 80s. Also an older Buntline rig I just bought with the old "N. Hollywood" stamping. Your buckle is original and that shortened billet is an easy fix since they are stitched on AFTER both layers are stitched together. Hope that helps a little. Are you saying the bullet loops are for .22, and if not, what are they for? Matt

Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 11-10-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt/ArvoHOLSTER

Matt, Thanks so much for your input , the bullet loops are small, the size of a .22, am assuming that is was for a 22 or 22 long bullet. Good point you made, the billet could be replaced, didn't know if it would hurt the value. It was in a family Estate, wanted some sort of realistic value to sell it on Ebay, maybe. Chuck

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Matt, Forgot to tell you - - your guns and holsters are Very Nice - - Nice rig for the Son, also

Member #
    Liked
    2706 times
    Coltbolt - Can you make a guess as to what waist size the belt would fit? I collect Colt marked belts and holsters (especially for 22s) and I would be VERY interested in your rig if you decide to sell it!

Wyatt - What is the significance of the anchor marking on the buckle? I have seen this before but don't know what it means.

- - Buckspen

Member #
    Liked
    12338 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckspen View Post
    Coltbolt - Can you make a guess as to what waist size the belt would fit? I collect Colt marked belts and holsters (especially for 22s) and I would be VERY interested in your rig if you decide to sell it!

Wyatt - What is the significance of the anchor marking on the buckle? I have seen this before but don't know what it means.

- - Buckspen
    I don't know, but Jim Martin gave me a few buckles and a couple came off ancient Anderson and Alfonso rigs and they have the anchors, too. They are very standard buckles that I guess all the fast draw holster makers used, among others. The ones Jim gave me had great patina and one is on an old belt already.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Buckspen, - I buckled the belt to the last hole and measured it, it was 44" around - - Wyatt had a good point - the billet belt could re-stitched to any size - ( Easy fix w/ stitching )

Member #
    Liked
    2706 times
    Wyatt - The reason I asked about the anchors is that I've been trying to find an original buckle for a Colt marked belt that was probably made by Wolfram or Hunter in the mid-1960's. It's the Model 58 belt and all the buckles I have seen on these belts are stamped "nickel silver" on the back. I've been looking at various listings on eBay and other places and every Hunter belt that I ask about has had a buckle marked with an anchor. I haven't been able to find an actual Wolfram belt. Don't know what happened to all the Wolfram marked leather, but it seems to non-existent today.

- - - Buckspen

Member #
    Liked
    2706 times
    Coltbolt - Thanks for taking the time to measure the belt. I am quite interested in this. I'm going to send you a private message about it.

- - - Buckspen

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links