1851 Colt Navy Revolver Case / Authentic or not?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 1851 Colt Navy Revolver Case / Authentic or not?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Until I get home, I found these pics on my iPhone

Found these on my iPhone scrolling through my pictures of the hinge and some of the items that came with the box. I don't believe the flask is original and is probably a reproduction out of Italy. Not sure about the nipple key as well and the tin could be a major reproduction is well. The one key opening picture is mine. The other is one I took off the Internet somewhere just to compare for fun. I will return here later folks with additional photos of the case and shield on top. Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    More photos. Let me know if there is anything else or another angle you guys might like to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    5355 times
    Looks like a genuine, Cap & Ball 'period', American-made/style, Mahogany Box to me.

Brass Screws in the Hinges is an unusual detail, but, everything else is consistent with the time period for an American Pistol Box, other than the exterior finish - since it has been re-finished along the way, and the poor fitting of the Escutcheon.

Crude fit of the Escutcheon is puzzling...and no where near the 'good fitting' of the Box's Top inlay piece.

Top inlay piece looks like German Silver, which would be a usual enough recourse at the time, and this is where any monogram, initials, name, or brief presentation text, would have been engraved, were it to have had any.

Remnant of Paper glued on to the Pine Bottom is a correct detail.

Lining may well be original also.

Hinges are apparently of the 'Drawn' kind, and in this instance are Limit-Hinges also, which would keep the open Box Lid at 90 degrees ( and no more ).

Some period Box makers used these, others did not.

Small bevel along the hinge line seam of top and bottom, goes along with this type of Hinge.

So - Summary:

I would say this is an authentic, 'period' American made or American style Box, which has been re-finished along the way, but which is otherwise original ( if a little puzzling for it's Brass Screws - instead of Steel Screws - in the Hinges, and for its crudely fitted Escutcheon ).
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 02-06-2015 at 03:30 AM.
    Kenner6959 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you Oye for the very detailed response and expository on my colt case. It is a bit of a mistrry as to why it has some of the details that it does. Also, very interesting about the paper on the bottom. I wasn't sure how that occurred. If anyone has any pictures of a similar cold case with similarities, please respond with pictures. I'm sure your description here Oye will be a great benefit to others in the future who have similar cases and are wondering about the validity of their box. thank you for taking the time to script that. Very helpful indeed! Ken

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I used my Iphone 4 to take these photos. Some of the shots I used my flashlight from my phone to illuminate the area. I guess, with the bright light, that the interior looks purple - but with the bright light off... its red.

Member #
    Liked
    5355 times
    Hi Kenner6959,

I am not up on values for the 'period' Cases...so, I just do not have any sense of where things are at on those.

Years ago when I was tryting to follow them, they were all over the board so-to-speak...ranging from a couple hundred to well over a thousand, without much for justification for either extreme.

If you are thinking of selling it, probably an Auction would be the best method...but ideally an Auciton which could have a few weeks to run, since the Market for period Boxes is likely fairly small, if serious and determined - so you would want the Auction to run long enough for those interested to have a chance to find it there.

Demand would most likely be highest among those who have a Factory or period Engraved Pistol, where they would like to have it in a period Case with period accessories, or where someone has an examople in unusually high condition, so, these would then be the people who would have a reason to pay the most.
    Kenner6959 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Oye. Much appreciated. We will see.... Great dialogue and feedback!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links