It's a done deal. No more Python servicing at Colt
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: It's a done deal. No more Python servicing at Colt

Member #
    Liked
    108 times
    I was a COLT Warranty Gunsmith for many years.
    When I retired there were many others around.
    Most of us older guys can no longer do the work and had little or no success in training others.
    My shop was sold to employees who didn't seem to want to get their hands dirty. They continued the Police Equipment business, but no repair work.
    I have seen some of the modern replacement parts.
    They are good for those who will learn how to properly fit them.
    The parts we received from the factory had changed dramatically through the years. Parts used to come to us in semi finished shape and we fitted and adjusted them as was done in Hartford.
    Slowly parts started to come in with more finishing already done. in the late 1980's and early 1990's the majority of the new parts ( rebound levers, bolts, hands, hammers and triggers ) were prepared for final fitting.
    The age of closer machining had come to force.
    However, the current crop of "gunsmiths" seem to be parts replacing people and not truly interested in fine work.
    Does Gunsmithing have to die out?
    I hope not!
    Surely the financial rewards and personal satisfaction in a job well done still survive here in the Greatest Country in the World.
    Hopalong, Mosby, WTF and 7 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2593 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredGunsmith View Post
    Surely the financial rewards and personal satisfaction in a job well done still survive here in the Greatest Country in the World.
    That is the main reason I am learning myself. Financial rewards and personal satisfaction.

There is almost no better feeling than fixing, tuning, and honing your Colt to a quality well above the norm. You know exactly how it runs, why it runs like that, and what to do if something is amiss. You can make it perfect to suit your personal preference.

It is kind of like doing all the remodeling on your home, which I do also, you can rest assured knowing exactly what was done and the quality of it. You have no fears down the road that problems may arise because you had someone else do it without knowledge of what exactly they did or how.

Kind of like the saying "if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself".
    6" Python, 357mag, Blue, '75-------------------4" Diamondback, 38spl, Blue, '77
    2.5" Python, 357mag, Blue, '72-----------------2" Detective Special, 38spl, Blue, '68
    2" Cobra, 38spl, Blue, '61

Member #
    Liked
    3946 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmalley23 View Post
    That is the main reason I am learning myself. Financial rewards and personal satisfaction.

There is almost no better feeling than fixing, tuning, and honing your Colt to a quality well above the norm. You know exactly how it runs, why it runs like that, and what to do if something is amiss. You can make it perfect to suit your personal preference.

It is kind of like doing all the remodeling on your home, which I do also, you can rest assured knowing exactly what was done and the quality of it. You have no fears down the road that problems may arise because you had someone else do it without knowledge of what exactly they did or how.

Kind of like the saying "if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself".
    Absolutely, and this is why I got into gunsmithing in the first place. I'm mostly into the C&R guns, and I couldn't find anybody who knew how to work on even the simplest ones. Afterwhile I realized that most of the guys calling themselves "gunsmiths" were actually assembling AR-15s or AK-47s, mounting scopes and such. After a hack screwed up an FN 1922 for me, I decided to roll up my sleeves and learn as much as I possibly could about gunsmithing. It has actually become kind of an obsession, there is always something else to try, always another tool to buy etc, but hey: I can play with guns all day long and even get paid for it.
    TimH, Mosby and bsmalley23 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Great work done on Pythons by members of the American Pistolsmiths Guild. My smith specializes in Colt and S&W revolvers and has kept my Pythons running great for years.
    rmc

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links