Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Suggestions on in-barrel rust

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Suggestions on in-barrel rust

23K0LMT.jpg
    Topic has been beat to death probably, but nevertheless ideas and suggestions welcome.
    Bought it the other day haven't got to shoot it yet. New owner (python) as well, so anything I should lookout for?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Strike; 06-09-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4164 times
    There really isn't a propellent which would cause "rust" in the barrel. My best guess is it's lead. Scrub the hell off of it with a brass brush and a little gun oil. If that doesn't work who cares? Shoot a couple jacketed bullets out of it and that clean up the inerds.
    KMKCOLT, oberon and SBH like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5755 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionBill View Post
    There really isn't a propellent which would cause "rust" in the barrel. My best guess is it's lead. Scrub the hell off of it with a brass brush and a little gun oil. If that doesn't work who cares? Shoot a couple jacketed bullets out of it and that clean up the inerds.
    Smokeless powder is coated, often with graphite, so that it will flow through powder measures without hangup. So unless the gun itself has external rust, there is little reason to think that this is internal rust. A bronze brush back and forth twice followed by a dry patch will reveal if it is rust or lead. If lead, then as you say! If rust or lead, then some Big 45 Rust remover wrapped around a bronze brush will do the trick.

KleenBore also sells lead wipe away patches, and this is an easy way of getting most, if not all of the lead out of the bore. Personally, I would use the Big45 first and follow up with the KleenBore patches.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, it has a little rust on the outside. But, i'd describe it as a haze that looks like you could wipe it off with your finger. I'll post pictures of it. Got it for $600, I think it's a good buy. Made in 1975.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Member #
    Liked
    2168 times
    They sell Montana X-Treme cowboy blend lead and powder solvent remover. I mix this with Hoppe's 9 and soak the barrel for a day then come back and run a brush through it and see what happens. I think that will clean up nicely. Shoot jacketed rounds through it as well.
    "In Africa, the saying goes, 'In the bush, an Elephant can kill you, a leopard can kill you, and a Black Mamba can kill you. But only with the Mamba is death sure.'Hence its handle, 'Death Incarnate." -Kill Bill vol 2 (Tarantino,2004)

Forum Friend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13025 times
    After trying other methods & still not satisfied put kroil on a bore brush & swab it back & forth, let stand couple hours wet with kroil. Push a dry patch thru. If it is rust, it can take 4 maybe 6 cycles before the patches come out clean ------>
    thomasinaz likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3986 times
    It looks painted in the pictures, so what kind of finish is it?

Gun repair and restoration

Member #
    Liked
    2168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rhmc24 View Post
    After trying other methods & still not satisfied put kroil on a bore brush & swab it back & forth, let stand couple hours wet with kroil. Push a dry patch thru. If it is rust, it can take 4 maybe 6 cycles before the patches come out clean ------>
    RHMC24 does kroil neutralize rust? Some one had mentioned something on another thread about a chemical that neutralizes rust. I forgot what it was but if anyone recalls what it was I would love to know so I can write it down. Thanks for the help in advance.
    "In Africa, the saying goes, 'In the bush, an Elephant can kill you, a leopard can kill you, and a Black Mamba can kill you. But only with the Mamba is death sure.'Hence its handle, 'Death Incarnate." -Kill Bill vol 2 (Tarantino,2004)

Member #
    Liked
    11744 times
    If it is rust, not sure how it can be neutralized . Remember that the bluing is also a form rust.

A dry patch run back and forth a few time will reveal whether it is lead or rust. If rust they make a stainless steel bore brush for removing rust from bores.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links