Problem with Python
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Problem with Python

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Problem with Python

I have a 6" Python that has developed a hitch in it's gittiup. When cocking the hammer slowly, about half way to full cock, there is a noticeable glitch in the action. The hammer hesitates and if continued pressure is exerted, the hammer cannot be further pulled to the rear. If I let off slightly and continue pulling the hammer it will cock without hesitation. If the hammer is pulled to the rear quickly, this problem does not manifest itself and the action is very smooth in the double action mode. The problem goes away if the cylinder is open or removed. I have removed the side plate and cleaned and greased the mechanism but the problem persists. Any ideas or recommendations on a pistolsmith, if I can't resolve the problem?

Member #
    Liked
    4235 times
    Random problems are often related to binding or sticking, so when you say you cleaned it: Did you remove all he parts or did you clean with the parts installed?

Since it's working with the cylinder swung out, I would suspect that the hand engagement is out of whack. You could try and remove the hand, clean it and lube it with some lightweight oil (especially the pivot pin). That might be all it takes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8587 times
    A problem like this is often related to a worn hand or worn ejector ratchet.

When cocked the hand rising up may catch on the second ledge of the hand and jam against the ratchet.

This might be repaired by some re-fitting, or it may require replacement of the hand or (bad news) the ejector.

Colt will no longer do any work on revolvers, so you may want to send it to a genuine Colt qualified expert for diagnosis and repair.

DO NOT trust any local gunsmiths. Almost none today understand the complex Colt action and you may get a botched Python back.
    Due to the extreme value of Pythons these days you don't want to take the risk.
    The forum go-to pistolsmith is Master Frank Glenn.
    He does work to Colt factory standards and specs.
    His pricing and turnaround times are excellent, and members who use his services give him top ratings for quality.

Frank Glenn-Glenn Custom Complete Gunsmithing Service Glendale AZ

Whatever it is he can correct it.
    mauiblue likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I had a similar problem on mine, that was exactly as you described. Turns out my cylinder was out of time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so said the Gunsmith...........

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Today I stripped the Python down to the frame, lubed and reassembled. This did not solve the problem, if anything, it made it worse. I have come to the conclusion that it's time to send it to someone who is much more familiar with these revolvers than I am. I will contact Frank Glenn and make arrangements to send it to him. If anyone has any further suggestions, I would welcome them. Thanks to all that responded.
    saintclair and MIKE1944 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    775 times
    Win!
    Colt
    NRA LIFE Member

Member #
    Liked
    1493 times
    55mphx3, Frank Glenn recently had shoulder surgery and isn't doing much work these days. Here's a suggestion.
    Spartan Firearm Co. Len works on Pythons and was trained at the Colt Factory by Don "Teddy" Tedford in 1968. Don was Colt's master gunsmith. Len has all the factory tools and gauges as well a large inventory of parts. Here's some attached pics for your viewing.

Spartan Firearm Company -
    https://www.facebook.com/spartanfirearmcompany/
    517-881-9028

Trooper Leonard Speckin 1967. He and his team won the prestigious American Indian Trophy, National Trophy Pistol Team Match, Police Winner.

Michigan State Trooper, Leonard Speckin, Age 27. Holding a Thompson Sub Machine Gun Model 1921.

Trooper Speckin 1986. Fletcher Match Winner. Note, this was won using a Colt Officers Model, 71/2 barrel, made in 1914 which Leonard personally rebuilt and accurized. The prize was an engraved Smith & Wesson Model 41 target .22. It is being presented by Col. Gerald Hough, Director of the Michigan State Police.

First Lieutenant Speckin, 25 years Michigan State Police (Retirement Photo).

Me and my guys! I am back row left. Not sure why I decided to shave my head before heading into Iraq...seemed like a good idea at the time!

saintclair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks mafd2. I'll try to get in touch with Len
    mafd2 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks to a post dfariswheel posted on another site, I was able to solve the problem. I had replaced everything in the action from another Python except the cylinder latch bolt , or cylinder stop bolt. Thanks to the excellent post, I replaced the cylinder latch bolt with one from another of my Pythons and this solved the problem. I have ordered the new part and I'm confident this will resolve the issue. With the replacement part, the revolver is as smooth as silk as you would expect from these excellent revolvers. Thanks to all that offered suggestions.

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 55mphx3 View Post
    I had replaced everything in the action from another Python except the cylinder latch bolt , or cylinder stop bolt.
    All I can say is that is NO small omission for your original post.
    Olle and mauiblue like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links