Mint Python, should I shoot it?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Mint Python, should I shoot it?

Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
    I HAVE been thinking about just that! A lot! Not only pythons but I have other classic nice smiths and Winchesters. I aint in the best health and kissing 78. I have a daughter, no sons, two grand daughters and now a 1 1/2 year old great grandson that I only seen once. Due to a bad divorce when she was very young I am not as close as I would like to be with my daughter plus they all live about 2,800 miles away. My wife isn't into guns. When not living at work my life was built around guns, motorcycles and airplanes. Lately it`s been trail riding in our UTV. Now both I and my wife I are crippled up with various ailments and she (wisely) doesn't want to chance riding with me as its not only hard on her but truth is if we broke down far away from our rig we would be in big bandini.
    I know what I SHOULD do but I haven't been able to let go. I already sold the plane. I thought I would die of old age on a harley. It`s gone too. If I sold a gun a week or two later I couldn't tell you what I did with the money and wouldn't have the gun either.
    A kind neighbor has shoveled us out after every snow storm this winter before I even got out of bed, plus has done much more.
    Last week I gave him a revolver and it made me as happy as him. I own two fine pythons and I would guess I might have shot not much more than a box or two out of them. I have comparable smiths and a couple of old model troopers so thats why I have been saving them. Truth is the odds are some unwashed unappreciative and unknowledgeable lucky so and so will get them cheap from my widow or maybe marry in to them and shoot the chise out of them and not even clean em up and let it slide around in the bed of his old honda. That`s reality boys.
    Frankly ...i dont care what happens when i am gone......i have instructions in the safe on the best way to dispose of my guns should they choose not to keep them....have a inventory that lists approx values.....i do shoot a SS python and several Anacondas regularly....I have a couple of Mint birthyear pythons i will never shoot (i see them as a proxy for me if i can stay in as good a condition as them i am doing good) ...will probably gift at least one high value gun to each adult child in a few years....
    waltesefalcon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2753 times
    Interesting, the OP hasn't responded again to this thread for a week. I often wonder about threads started by low count newer members dealing with strongly pro v. con subjects, who then apparently disappear; is the motivation truly for information, or just to stir the pot.

Best regards,
    azshot and JohnnyP like this.
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Shoot it and take care of it. It will stay valuable even with market fluctuations. Pythons are everywhere, and the prices amaze me. I bought mine brand new in 1972, and it has been fired a lot. Still looks great and shoots great. I figure I've gotten my $198.00 worth of fun out it and will continue to do so. The 6" is the most beautiful revolver ever made.
    ttazzman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
    I HAVE been thinking about just that! A lot! Not only pythons but I have other classic nice smiths and Winchesters. I aint in the best health and kissing 78. I have a daughter, no sons, two grand daughters and now a 1 1/2 year old great grandson that I only seen once. Due to a bad divorce when she was very young I am not as close as I would like to be with my daughter plus they all live about 2,800 miles away. My wife isn't into guns. When not living at work my life was built around guns, motorcycles and airplanes. Lately it`s been trail riding in our UTV. Now both I and my wife I are crippled up with various ailments and she (wisely) doesn't want to chance riding with me as its not only hard on her but truth is if we broke down far away from our rig we would be in big bandini.
    I know what I SHOULD do but I haven't been able to let go. I already sold the plane. I thought I would die of old age on a harley. It`s gone too. If I sold a gun a week or two later I couldn't tell you what I did with the money and wouldn't have the gun either.
    A kind neighbor has shoveled us out after every snow storm this winter before I even got out of bed, plus has done much more.
    Last week I gave him a revolver and it made me as happy as him. I own two fine pythons and I would guess I might have shot not much more than a box or two out of them. I have comparable smiths and a couple of old model troopers so thats why I have been saving them. Truth is the odds are some unwashed unappreciative and unknowledgeable lucky so and so will get them cheap from my widow or maybe marry in to them and shoot the chise out of them and not even clean em up and let it slide around in the bed of his old honda. That`s reality boys.
    That was very generous of you in giving a handgun to your considerate neighbor!!!

My wife is not into firearms and if I would be pushing daisies up before her, she would sell all my guns for pennies on the dollar. My wife isn't very sentimental and more pragmatic. I'm trying to garner enough interest in my daughter to keep on shooting and hopefully have her take over my collection sooner or later.

I was very fortunate a couple years ago a family member thought of me and allowed me to take over ownership of some classic firearms one in particular is a blued Colt Python with 6" barrel. They knew I would cherish the inheritance. I would never ever sell it. I will however shoot it as much as I can and enjoy it to the fullest. Maybe I will pass on my collection to someone younger than me if my daughter doesn't take them over and hopefully they will also enjoy them. For now, I will keep on shooting until the ammo runs out or I am not able to enjoy my firearms. Enjoy and be safe.
    feralmerril likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    I got my first one in 1971 and was a dealer at the time. Keep in mind your $198 from 1972 is probably over $2,000 in today's dollars.

Bob
    Sag Harbor & Manhattan, New York

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    I have two sons that both want my guns. I think I will leave a thunderdome proviso in my will and the winner can take all the guns.
    Cheers,
    Walter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links