Mint Python, should I shoot it?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 81
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Mint Python, should I shoot it?

  1. #51
    Senior Member

    Member #
    28154
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    393
    Liked
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
    I HAVE been thinking about just that! A lot! Not only pythons but I have other classic nice smiths and Winchesters. I aint in the best health and kissing 78. I have a daughter, no sons, two grand daughters and now a 1 1/2 year old great grandson that I only seen once. Due to a bad divorce when she was very young I am not as close as I would like to be with my daughter plus they all live about 2,800 miles away. My wife isn't into guns. When not living at work my life was built around guns, motorcycles and airplanes. Lately it`s been trail riding in our UTV. Now both I and my wife I are crippled up with various ailments and she (wisely) doesn't want to chance riding with me as its not only hard on her but truth is if we broke down far away from our rig we would be in big bandini.
    I know what I SHOULD do but I haven't been able to let go. I already sold the plane. I thought I would die of old age on a harley. It`s gone too. If I sold a gun a week or two later I couldn't tell you what I did with the money and wouldn't have the gun either.
    A kind neighbor has shoveled us out after every snow storm this winter before I even got out of bed, plus has done much more.
    Last week I gave him a revolver and it made me as happy as him. I own two fine pythons and I would guess I might have shot not much more than a box or two out of them. I have comparable smiths and a couple of old model troopers so thats why I have been saving them. Truth is the odds are some unwashed unappreciative and unknowledgeable lucky so and so will get them cheap from my widow or maybe marry in to them and shoot the chise out of them and not even clean em up and let it slide around in the bed of his old honda. That`s reality boys.
    Frankly ...i dont care what happens when i am gone......i have instructions in the safe on the best way to dispose of my guns should they choose not to keep them....have a inventory that lists approx values.....i do shoot a SS python and several Anacondas regularly....I have a couple of Mint birthyear pythons i will never shoot (i see them as a proxy for me if i can stay in as good a condition as them i am doing good) ...will probably gift at least one high value gun to each adult child in a few years....
    waltesefalcon likes this.

  2. #52
    Senior Member

    Member #
    8741
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,657
    Liked
    3128 times
    Interesting, the OP hasn't responded again to this thread for a week. I often wonder about threads started by low count newer members dealing with strongly pro v. con subjects, who then apparently disappear; is the motivation truly for information, or just to stir the pot.

    Best regards,
    azshot and JohnnyP like this.
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

  3. #53
    Junior Member

    Member #
    14901
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35
    Liked
    37 times
    Shoot it and take care of it. It will stay valuable even with market fluctuations. Pythons are everywhere, and the prices amaze me. I bought mine brand new in 1972, and it has been fired a lot. Still looks great and shoots great. I figure I've gotten my $198.00 worth of fun out it and will continue to do so. The 6" is the most beautiful revolver ever made.
    ttazzman likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #54
    Senior Member

    Member #
    55802
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    208
    Liked
    108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
    I HAVE been thinking about just that! A lot! Not only pythons but I have other classic nice smiths and Winchesters. I aint in the best health and kissing 78. I have a daughter, no sons, two grand daughters and now a 1 1/2 year old great grandson that I only seen once. Due to a bad divorce when she was very young I am not as close as I would like to be with my daughter plus they all live about 2,800 miles away. My wife isn't into guns. When not living at work my life was built around guns, motorcycles and airplanes. Lately it`s been trail riding in our UTV. Now both I and my wife I are crippled up with various ailments and she (wisely) doesn't want to chance riding with me as its not only hard on her but truth is if we broke down far away from our rig we would be in big bandini.
    I know what I SHOULD do but I haven't been able to let go. I already sold the plane. I thought I would die of old age on a harley. It`s gone too. If I sold a gun a week or two later I couldn't tell you what I did with the money and wouldn't have the gun either.
    A kind neighbor has shoveled us out after every snow storm this winter before I even got out of bed, plus has done much more.
    Last week I gave him a revolver and it made me as happy as him. I own two fine pythons and I would guess I might have shot not much more than a box or two out of them. I have comparable smiths and a couple of old model troopers so thats why I have been saving them. Truth is the odds are some unwashed unappreciative and unknowledgeable lucky so and so will get them cheap from my widow or maybe marry in to them and shoot the chise out of them and not even clean em up and let it slide around in the bed of his old honda. That`s reality boys.
    That was very generous of you in giving a handgun to your considerate neighbor!!!

    My wife is not into firearms and if I would be pushing daisies up before her, she would sell all my guns for pennies on the dollar. My wife isn't very sentimental and more pragmatic. I'm trying to garner enough interest in my daughter to keep on shooting and hopefully have her take over my collection sooner or later.

    I was very fortunate a couple years ago a family member thought of me and allowed me to take over ownership of some classic firearms one in particular is a blued Colt Python with 6" barrel. They knew I would cherish the inheritance. I would never ever sell it. I will however shoot it as much as I can and enjoy it to the fullest. Maybe I will pass on my collection to someone younger than me if my daughter doesn't take them over and hopefully they will also enjoy them. For now, I will keep on shooting until the ammo runs out or I am not able to enjoy my firearms. Enjoy and be safe.
    feralmerril likes this.

  6. #55
    Member

    Member #
    59649
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    New York & Sag Harbor, N.Y.
    Posts
    113
    Liked
    90 times
    I got my first one in 1971 and was a dealer at the time. Keep in mind your $198 from 1972 is probably over $2,000 in today's dollars.

    Bob
    Sag Harbor & Manhattan, New York

  7. #56
    Senior Member

    Member #
    66337
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Fletcher, OK
    Posts
    250
    Liked
    218 times
    I have two sons that both want my guns. I think I will leave a thunderdome proviso in my will and the winner can take all the guns.
    Cheers,
    Walter

  8. #57
    Junior Member

    Member #
    7865
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4
    Liked
    0 times

    1987 Python BSS 6" Unfired

    Python and M29-2.jpg

    I have a 1987 BSS Python 6" barrel, factory Colt Pachmayrs, unfired. Purchased for me by an FFL friend from Colt in 1987 for under $900 new. Wondering what it would be worth today. Anyone? S&W 29-2 on bottom. Only pic I have of the Python.

  9. #58
    Senior Member

    Member #
    29253
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    268
    Liked
    232 times
    an unfired python is like an unopened bottle of Giacomo Conterno Barolo (riserva). What's the point? What enjoyment do you really get from having it but not shooting (or drinking) it?
    Collects likes this.

  10. #59
    Senior Member

    Member #
    26517
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,230
    Liked
    3945 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    an unfired python is like an unopened bottle of Giacomo Conterno Barolo (riserva). What's the point? What enjoyment do you really get from having it but not shooting (or drinking) it?
    The same enjoyment a stamp collector gets for not licking them and putting them on envelopes.
    BigAl, 824tsv, JohnnyP and 1 others like this.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    Gun repair and restoration

  11. #60
    Senior Member

    Member #
    29253
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    268
    Liked
    232 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Olle View Post
    The same enjoyment a stamp collector gets for not licking them and putting them on envelopes.
    unless the collector puts the stamp on a letter in the mail to somebody else, licking it isn't going to to remove any of the gum that's most likely lost its adhesive properties a long time ago. I once found some 10 year old stamps and none of adhesive gum remained. I guess somebody might place a premium on a gun that never gets shot or a bottle of wine that never gets drunk but one day, everybody dies. I don't want to die with a basement full of unopened and unused stuff. I know a guy in his mid 50s with unopened Evil Kneivel toys, GI Joes, Big Jims, Bionic Mans, and Star Wars stuff. I had most of the same as a kid but I opened the boxes and played the s**t out of those toys. Between having done that and keeping them unopened, I am glad I played them. I am sure my acquaintance could be persuaded to trade his toys for an unfired Wilkerson 3" Python that he would never shoot and prolly die with it in his possession. I don't understand that. It's not my thing but whatever. I wore my 321 Speedy until I sold it for something else. Everybody else with a 321 kept in in a safe and only handled it with cotton gloves. I wore mine to shoot skeet.
    Last edited by Max_Power; 05-25-2019 at 02:04 PM.


 
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 4" BS Python - Shoot or No Shoot?
    By markjt in forum Python
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-24-2014, 02:55 PM
  2. Should I shoot it....well shoot it alot?
    By B.C. in forum Colt Revolvers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM
  3. Should I Shoot it? - 1979 4" Colt Python
    By mikegs430 in forum Colt Revolvers
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 11:39 AM
  4. shoot or not to shoot
    By wambli in forum Colt Revolvers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 08:36 AM
  5. To shoot or not to shoot
    By Paul in forum Colt Revolvers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 09:36 PM
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
We are not associated with Colt's Manufacturing LLC. We are an enthusiast site comprised of Colt Fans.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.