No Refunds or Exchanges
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: No Refunds or Exchanges

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

No Refunds or Exchanges

I don’t want to step on the current “buying pythons” or “scam policing” threads so I’m asking here.

Just bought my first two Pythons, blued 4” and 2”, from different sellers via internet and happy with both purchases. Both sellers accurately described the gun and included many photos in their ads. Both offered a three day inspection. These guns were purchased intending to be shot, a lot.

I will probably purchase another one or two; but I must admit that I’m rather reluctant to deal with a seller who offers no inspection/return option. This seems to be fairly common with what appears to be non-FFL sellers. In one recent ad, seller offered a three day inspection but stated it would be voided if the buyer removed the wire-tie he’d placed around the hammer and trigger.

I’m sure there must be non-nefarious reasons for the no inspection/return policy but I sure have no idea what they could be. What could those reasons be and should I ever consider such a purchase?

Thanks.
    Last edited by CPO 15; 04-15-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    982 times
    I would never buy a firearm sight unseen unless it had a inspection period.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    There are not only dishonest sellers but also dishonest buyers.
    As a buyer, I agree, a “As Is, NO inspection period” does send up a red flag. That’s something you have to work out in your head.
    As a seller however, you are trusting the general public (aka Bubba) to abide by your requirements of non-shooting & non-disassembly while in the confines of their home.
    Let’s say you have a mint mid-sixties Python that you have decided to sell with a three day non-shooting & non-disassembly caveat. The buyer gets it home and decides he wants to take a peak inside. In the process he buggers up a screw head, as the bit slips out of the slot it also puts a nice scratch in that minty Python frame. The buyer now decides he has paid too much and wants to return the used-to-be minty Python.
    How do you as a seller now feel about the “As Is” policy?

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    I saw a mint 1930's Official Police at a gunshow yesterday that was marked at $650.00. I asked the dealer to pick it up and examine the gun, which he granted. The gun was in pristine condition with only light handling marks and a faint cylinder turn line, and probably had not been shot that much. However, when applying the "slow cocking" (not extreme slow cocking) method to check the timing, every cylinder was off and had to be turned a small amount by hand to line up the cylinder holes with the barrel. If this gun had been advertised on a website with clear pictures, one would think that it should be in excellent condition in every respect. I doubt that the seller would have placed in the description-"gun is slightly out of time and needs to be adjusted." This would be a perfect example of wanting to inspect one in-hand before the purchase, especially a multi thousand dollar Python.
    Wolfie38S likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20989 times
    Internet sales have created lots of problems for both buyers and sellers. It is definitely a "Two way street." Buying from sellers with excellent feedback is important, but when you are the seller, the highest bidder may be a person who is not even capable of cutting a plastic tie off a gun without scratching it.
    oberon, arjay, highway08 and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1351 times
    I’ve bought and sold several as no return guns.Good ,clear pix are a must as is good communication.Any questions not answered or with a vague response are a red flag
    oberon, highway08 and Joel6180 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Always talk with the seller, you will learn a lot immediately. Pictures don't always show everything.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    buying online is simple.........only pay for what you can see.......assume the worst for anything you cant see......or buy from someone you trust or is reputable

selling online is simple......only expect to be paid for what you show the buyers....if you dont provide a inspection period...expect to be paid accordingly to your reputation or what you show the seller in pictures..

problems come from lack of disclosure and assumptions.....this forum is full of stories about un-fullfilled expectations

IE when a gun says "lnib" etc........then the pictures should fully reflect that ....or dont bid....it amazes me how many guns are sold with 5-6 fuzzy pictures and "perfect" gun description....if you buy from fuzzy pictures and fuzzy description you have no right to complain when your expectations are not met

lack of decent pictures in these days of outstanding cell phone cameras in itself is a red flag to me ....if they cant bother or accomplish decent pictures how can i trust they can adequately and objectively describe a gun
    Last edited by ttazzman; 04-15-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    You are 100% right. An honest seller will always do everything possible to allow the buyer what he wants. If they don't, walk away. Recently on my favorite...Armslist...tongue in cheek....there is a 2 1/2" Python for sale. Only one picture, and one word description....Mint. When I emailed the seller about my concerns with respect to Armslist, and then asked for more pictures, she said, even if I provide you with more pictures, it still does not mean I am not a scammer. Well, correct, but she did not send me any additional pictures....what's that old song by Dionne Warwick....Walk on By.....I have.
    victorio1sw and bearcat6 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1730 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    There are not only dishonest sellers but also dishonest buyers.
    As a buyer, I agree, a “As Is, NO inspection period” does send up a red flag. That’s something you have to work out in your head.
    As a seller however, you are trusting the general public (aka Bubba) to abide by your requirements of non-shooting & non-disassembly while in the confines of their home.
    Let’s say you have a mint mid-sixties Python that you have decided to sell with a three day non-shooting & non-disassembly caveat. The buyer gets it home and decides he wants to take a peak inside. In the process he buggers up a screw head, as the bit slips out of the slot it also puts a nice scratch in that minty Python frame. The buyer now decides he has paid too much and wants to return the used-to-be minty Python.
    How do you as a seller now feel about the “As Is” policy?
    Not to mention, "Spouse disapproved of purchase".
    Colt snubbies rule.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links