Colt Python wood box-What have I got?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gene1944

Thread: Colt Python wood box-What have I got?

Member #
    Southern Illinois not too far from St Louis
    Liked
    22 times

Colt Python wood box-What have I got?

A few days ago I asked for help on this forum valuing a 6" blue Python. My card on the gun says "box" but I was never able to find one. For years I was looking for a cardboard box. Yesterday I found this box in the basement which is the one that came with the gun which was purchased in 1994. It looks like a scope was above the gun. Did Colt ever make such an outfit or did someone just scrape out a place for some type of scope. There don't appear to be any marks on the gun from a scope mount. Anybody have any information on this? I will be putting the gun up here for sale. What is the value of the box?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hanshi likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1604 times
    I am almost certain that the gun did not come from Colt originally with that box. Based on the grips, the gun is probably older than 1994 and the box was added later down the line. I would also bet that the box was made for a revolver that had a scope on it but again probably not that specific python.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    The gun is a 1977 and a relative bought the gun and box in 1994 so it certainly was used when he bought it but he didn't get any history with it at the time. He never scoped the gun or messed with the box but the material looks a slightly different shade from the bottom to the top and I suspect someone fabricated a space for the scope and had to use new material to cover the differently shaped bottom. If this style box is correct for 1977 then it well might be the original box. If I need any other pictures posted, I can take them.
    Last edited by Gene1944; 04-15-2019 at 07:53 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2703 times
    The box is from the 1960's. This style was originally made for the Colt 125th Anniversary guns in 1961. The 125th Anniversary SAA came in this style box as did many nickel plated K serial numbered Frontier and Buntline Scouts. I'm not sure if Pythons were shipped in this style box or not. It does look like the interior bottom was removed or changed to fit a Python or other revolver with a scope on it. This style box was also sold by Colt as an aftermarket item but not as late as 1977.
    - Buckspen

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Any guesses on the actual value?

Member #
    Liked
    2703 times
    Originally, this style of box had a cardboard cutout the shape of the firearm under the cloth in the bottom. This one looks like that has been removed and replaced with rubber foam which maybe has been roughly shaped to the gun then covered with red cloth. I have sold several of these boxes for Frontier Scouts recently on eBay and have gotten $50 to $150 for them depending on what guns they were for and their condition. With this one the way it is, I would say you'd be lucky to get $50 to $75 for it.

- - Buckspen

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links