Colt Forum banner

2 1/2" Python

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Hanshi 
#1 ·
Just got this today, it appears flawless. Anything you see is a reflection in the photos. Got the box also, but want some opinions on whether or not it is real. It looks like it is to me and the dealer said he had other opinions that confirmed that it is. Thanks for your input.

See less See more
#5 ·
I agree with that, but the rubbing along the edges and the styrofoam, with the two glue marks are would have been where the red tape was correct? If it is a fake, it is a good one. Did not matter to me anyway, the gun 99.9%. Still, a real box would be cool.

#14 ·
Late production guns can be a bit wavy and it's not uncommon to see screw holes and pin holes being dished like this. Note that screw holes and pin holes are dished, which shows that the polish was done without the pivot pins in place. Not many refinishers remove the pins, so this indicates a factory job. Not proof, but a good indication.

#9 ·
I don't want to be rude to any one commenting. However, I own 12 Pythons, 4 of which are 80's, 2 8" blue, one blue Target, and one nickel Target. Since these guns are close in age to this 2 1/2" gun, I inspected the screw holes and the finish with respect to the comment about the dished screw holes and the finish. This gun is exactly like all of the blue guns that I mentioned. There is nothing to suspect that this gun is not all original, only the box is in question, and I completely agree that the label is really fresh. However, on my blue Target, the paper work looks just like this paperwork, new and untouched, and the red tape is there. I am the original owner of that gun, with the original box. The label is completely different, not a foil one like this. so, I would have to call fake on this box because of the label, but the insides look real to me. Half fake maybe, how does that sound? The rest of the box also looks real, with the wear on the edges and the scuffing on the top. Like I said earlier, it is the gun that is important, and I have no doubts about that.

Jerry

#11 · (Edited)
I don't want to be rude to any one commenting. However, I own 12 Pythons, 4 of which are 80's, 2 8" blue, one blue Target, and one nickel Target. Since these guns are close in age to this 2 1/2" gun, I inspected the screw holes and the finish with respect to the comment about the dished screw holes and the finish. This gun is exactly like all of the blue guns that I mentioned. There is nothing to suspect that this gun is not all original, only the box is in question, and I completely agree that the label is really fresh. However, on my blue Target, the paper work looks just like this paperwork, new and untouched, and the red tape is there. I am the original owner of that gun, with the original box. The label is completely different, not a foil one like this. so, I would have to call fake on this box because of the label, but the insides look real to me. Half fake maybe, how does that sound? The rest of the box also looks real, with the wear on the edges and the scuffing on the top. Like I said earlier, it is the gun that is important, and I have no doubts about that.Jerry
Sorry, you did post a picture of the gun too. You say the gun is flawless, but it has a turn line. I said I can't tell for sure if the gun is refinished without better pictures. If you'd prefer to not go there, I understand.

#16 ·
The quality did decline in the '70s, and I suspect the reasons are that the old timers were dying out and the management wanted to increase production. The new crane design (around 1974 IIRC) is a good sign of that, not as good as the previous design but easier and cheaper to produce. Somebody might chime in with the actual production numbers, but it's pretty obvious that something gotta give if you try to crank out more guns of this kind.

#17 ·
Box label is a reproduction. The styrofoam is Colt authentic.. that styrofoam layout would work for several different models, or it could be authentic to the gun.. I’ve seen so many 1974 - 1980’s Colts where the faux wood sleeve doesn’t survive or gets lost along with the paperwork... styrofoam seems to last forever... so someone created a box label for what was needed. Paperwork is also reproduction. So box and extras is worth whatever Sparta, TN charges for it, but may hurt the gun value, if ever selling, since it could make a potential buyer wonder if the gun is totally authentic- as in refinished , grips replaced, etc etc, since the box isn’t real. Just being helpful with that, because Ive walked away from guns for sale before because I knew the box was fake and they seller either didn’t know or was not willing to admit it... especially when they want to price it as all original too.

#19 ·
I have no doubt at all that the label is fake. I am about 98% that the box is also fake. If I could handle it I would be more confident. I can't comment on the paperwork or the gun. I think the finish on the gun is original but I am much less confident when it comes to spotting a refinish although the VP stamp looks pretty good.

#23 ·

Ok, I think this will post. 1st picture is of the 2 1/2" VP stamp and the 2nd is of my Target VP stamp. Both guns are same vintage, '79 and '80. Both stamps are not as clear as the earlier guns, '60's. The '57 gun is the clearest. The Target stamp is only about half there, and the V and the P on the 2 1/2" are crammed together. Hope this helps, but looking at all of the other stamps, it looks like the guy doing the stamp is the biggest variable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.