What constitutes a collectors Python?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What constitutes a collectors Python?

Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    " Eye of the beholder "
    There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining ( Outlaw Josey Wales )

Member #
    Liked
    3946 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ussmanlovede36 View Post
    New in the Box un-looked at.
    Yep. Unfired, unturned, uncocked and unlooked at guns are the only ones worth collecting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NgeXl-PPA
    Bigl1911 and hkcavalier like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

Member #
    Liked
    4195 times
    I might as well throw my 2 cents in.
    Several other members have excellent responses. I feel strongly a collectable firearm has to start with something that resonates with you first. Anything else within reason doesn't matter. A collectable Python is a very simple thing to figure out. If people want it the gun is collectable. If they don't it is not. No need to go over the factors others have already stated. To answer your question, "Is this the truth". IMO the answer is absolutely no. Any Python is 9X% condition not pitted or damaged by Doofus today is a collectable gun. Once a gun is used (meaning shot out of the box), it can be shot again and enjoyed. It will remain in the same value level as long as it is well maintained by you. Here is the rub; tomorrow Pythons could take a drop where others that are scare and rare will not again within reason. Without getting into it, a 1957 to 1959 Python 9x% will always hold value based on the fact there were not many made in comparison to more modern variations. Taking another type of gun as a great example as an alternative are Colt SAA Gen 1 revolvers. The market is flooded with them today. The people who spent big money 10 to 20 years ago cannot get the value and it might be a great time to buy??? A 20k SAA Gen one 15 years is a 8k to 10k gun today. Other firearms like Colt Military M1911A1 and M1911 variations in all conditions mostly 98% plus are way up. People want them!! Hope this helps..
    Last edited by Bigl1911; 07-30-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    porsche and ei8ht like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1834 times
    Agree with Bigl911 that any original Python in 9x% condition is collectible.

By that standard, probably all my Pythons would be collectible.

However -some of these Pythons would not be devalued by shooting them ,so they get shot.
    So they are 'shooters' and 'collectors', at the same time....

So for me, something collectible is of high quality and not going to be made again, or rare, or has history, or other quality that makes it desirable over other like items.
    For example other than Python, a high condition original pinned and recessed Smith 19 is collectible-
    later versions not.
    Colt snubbies rule.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Since I collect Colts I would say whatever I buy is a collectible. You can never collect too many.

Member #
    Liked
    2074 times
    I don't have a good answer but what ever I buy to collect I think about the next owner. Will he think it's worth more?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    There's a Silver Snake on Guns International!

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Could not agree more. The '50s Pythons are at the top of the heap IMHO. The '56 that Lumberjack has listed now is a prime example. All of the paperwork, box & condition make this one a dream. Have only ever seen one other Python with the original builder's card. Just enough character marks to show that it's not been monkeyed with and is all original. And not so "pristine" that you are afraid to touch it. And it may not bring the 30k that a '55 in that condition might. Probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for someone.
    Badaim likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links