What constitutes a collectors Python?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What constitutes a collectors Python?

Member #
    Liked
    57 times

What constitutes a collectors Python?

Been thinking about this. Now or in the future, what constitutes a collectors quality Python? Or pretty much any handguns?

Letís skip the one-off, special models, or guns associated with famous people. What is left are pretty much 99%+ or NIB guns with correct box & papers. So letís say that 9x% 1960s Python is pretty much a shooter in the end. As much as I think it is rare and worth $$$$, but in the eye of a true collector, itís just a shooter. And worth so appropriately. Hard to face, but is that the truth?

Member #
    Liked
    9979 times
    Condition, Condition, Condition...
    Kraaaken, oberon and po18guy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    216 times
    Depends on your definition.

Firearms that appreciate in value beyond inflation, or have such provenance that their market value far outstrips like examples (e.g. Eleanor Roosevelt's S&W K-22), is my definition.

There are plenty of shootable collector guns. It's pretty much all I have. Nearly all military collectible guns are in this group. Again, it's all about provenance; wear and tear might actually add value. Same with the law enforcement guns.

You guys that are into NIB engraved guns with factory letters can comment on those...I don't even consider buying them. If I can't shoot it, I don't want it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    Condition, Condition, Condition...
    Hmmmm.. I think I get it.

Member #
    Liked
    9003 times
    I am one of the most ungifted, guy you could meet. I have no talent for anything. Save one: Just about every car, truck, motorcycle, airplane or gun that turned me on years ago over time seemed to become the hottest most sought after model in its field 30 to 60 years later! Problem was I either was broke when said item was at it`s lowest price point or I had no place to store them or other obligations. Even so I do have a nice gun collection.
    Off breed brands never get very collectible. Most my guns are classic Winchesters, Smiths and Colts. The majority of them were lightly used when I bought them. Relatively speaking maybe one out of every six I bought new. I have never bought a black plastic gun. The majority of my guns were made say 1930 to 1985. ANY practically new gun isn't going to go up in price until you get old.
    porsche, Bigl1911 and azshot like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5668 times
    Quote Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
    I am one of the most ungifted, guy you could meet. I have no talent for anything. Save one: Just about every car, truck, motorcycle, airplane or gun that turned me on years ago over time seemed to become the hottest most sought after model in its field 30 to 60 years later! Problem was I either was broke when said item was at it`s lowest price point or I had no place to store them or other obligations. Even so I do have a nice gun collection.
    Off breed brands never get very collectible. Most my guns are classic Winchesters, Smiths and Colts. The majority of them were lightly used when I bought them. Relatively speaking maybe one out of every six I bought new. I have never bought a black plastic gun. The majority of my guns were made say 1930 to 1985. ANY practically new gun isn't going to go up in price until you get old.
    Very good to hear from you, Merril! Was a little concerned.
    feralmerril likes this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Member #
    Liked
    2427 times
    New in the Box un-looked at.
    bearcat6 and Olle like this.

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    I also think it depends on what the collector is trying to accomplish. Only NIB? Only Rare or Limited Production or maybe one of every finish and barrel length regardless of condition.

Bob
    Sag Harbor & Manhattan, New York

Member #
    Liked
    9003 times
    Each to his own. I would find it boring to collect just one type or model of gun like some guys here might have like twenty models of the same gun that only differs in maybe slight differences in lettering or whatever. My best advice is to keep up on prices of maybe twenty different makes and models of guns that highly interest you. Then when you hit gun stores and gun shows you likely will recognize a deal or "sleeper" that most of the crowd passing through doesn't! You also will find more stuff at the same shows that other people complain, "There wasn't many good guns there".
    Last edited by feralmerril; 07-19-2019 at 08:46 AM.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7895 times
    I'd rate a collectible Python as one in 100% new condition with the original box and all papers that originally shipped with it.

Second would be a 100% new without the box or paperwork.

At the top would be a 1950's model in near mint condition with the top of the line being a 1955-57 near 100% new in the box.

For all guns, as Dogface6 said....."Condition, Condition, Condition".
    In real estate it's Location, but for "standard" collectible guns condition is primary.

Things get complicated for non-standard collectible guns like an original Colt Walker or very early Colt SAA or 1911 commercial. Then the sheer rarity of ANY surviving guns make them all collectible.
    A true collector is looking for a gun in as near as possible to brand new in the box with all papers in any model or brand, or a gun so rare that condition plays a smaller part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links