Terribly rusty Python, what are my options?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Terribly rusty Python, what are my options?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Terribly rusty Python, what are my options?

Hello, first post. I recieved this 6 in. Colt Python from my grandfather. He had quite a collection of guns and got tired of taking care of them all so he gave them to his grandkids a while back.

As you can see it has pretty bad rust, from my understanding it has been sitting in a bucket of oil for quite some time. The original grips are actually in very good shape. Since it came into my possession at no cost I would like to get it restored to its former glory (or as close as possible). What are my options? Is Colt no longer doing refinishing? Even if they still refinish, would they be able to remove this much rust?

Has anyone used Custom Shop, Inc.? They have an impressive gallery.

Since the attached pics I have rubbed it down with some CLP Break-Free, looks better but obviously the rust is still very much present. I was going to try using Big 45 Frontier metal cleaner lightly next. But eventually it will need professional help, especially since I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to firearms.

Thanks!

Rusty pics attached, viewer discretion is advised!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1403 times
    I have used a wheat penny ( copper) at a 45 degree angle to rub that oil soaked rust off. I would go shoot it and enjoy it as is. Let the next owner stick big bucks into making it look perfect.
    oberon and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    8640 times
    Use the copper penny trick. User the 100%copper wool chore girl. Use bamboo skewers. Pick and poke at the chunks of rust.
    You can be sure there are craters under it. There may be little hope for a complete restoration, depending on how deep the moon-sized craters are. If you can get it so the rust is gone, and you can make it mechanically sound, run it as a shooter and chalk it up to the worldly experience of an old well used revolver. At some point down the line, in about 50 years, it will still have value as a shooter, and it might even begin to look like an old revolver instead of one that had a disaster.
    Trying to make it like it once was may be a little beyond the realm of possibility.
    I suppose you could throw a small fortune at it and see what you get.
    There are way better guns to keep as 'pretty'.
    Get it running and post when you get it cleaned up.
    You will probably surprise yourself when you're done.
    MarkInTx, ei8ht and bmcgilvray like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    670 times
    Keep soaking it in clp.
    I think some folks use transmission fluid.
    Pickle it for a week and try the above tips.
    YouTube electrolysis. I think member mosin virus did a YouTube on this w a Colt.
    He also did a vid on diy blue.
    Anyway, even a $300 blue job will give ya a decent shooter. I don't see much of a drag line on the cylinder so maybe it's good!
    Price is right for the start gate.
    Colt
    NRA LIFE Member

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by denpython View Post
    ... I think some folks use transmission fluid.
    I saw a video that compared a lot of top name penetrating oils, including Kroil, in a test to loosen rusted bolts on a transmission... The winner was acetone and transmission oil (50/50). Kroil came in 2nd. Would assume it would work well on a rusted revolver too.

Member #
    Liked
    365 times
    Poor little guy needs some lovin.
    Spend some quality time cleaning it and have patience. Keep it and have fun with it.
    You might spend more to restore it than buying one in good condition. And your restored one probably will not be as valuable as an original one.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Some of the folks on the Smith and Wesson forums are avid supporters of naval jelly to pick up and remove the rust. I would use this treatment and then modestly scrub the rust spots with a copper penny as mentioned before or a bronze brush w/clp.

How does the bore look? If there aren't any issues there I'd clean up the rust as you can and shoot the crap out of it.

SVT28

Member #
    Liked
    5654 times
    Two of the most potent non-electrical, room temperature rust neutralizers are KBS Rust Blast and Orison Evapo-Rust, but both also remove the bluing.

It could be cleaned up and CeraKoted or Parkerized.

Q: would granddad want you to shine it or shoot it?
    ei8ht likes this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Member #
    Liked
    232 times
    there is another thread in this sub forum about a member who sent his gun in for refinishing. He should be posting pics soon. I think he said it was $400. Have a look, contact the refinisher, and see what he tells you.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2951 times
    Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us here. I'm sure you will get some great suggestions from the Forum here. IMHO I would clean it as good as possible and shoot it !!!!!
    Last edited by WVCOLT; 07-31-2019 at 03:53 AM.
    Hootch56, Colt-SL and LEO918 like this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links