Help with Value on 1964 Python
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help with Value on 1964 Python

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Help with Value on 1964 Python

Hello all, I was looking for help with determining a fair value for a very nice Python for a family friend. I was asked by her to help clear out some of her late husband's guns, and was shocked to see this one. According to her it is unfired, but I have no way of telling if that's the case. Anyway, it is a 6" blued Python in .357. No case or papers, located in Illinois. Her late husband was a retired Chicago policeman and the gun has been in storage for over 20 years from what I am told. From running the serial number it appears to be from 1964.

I'm looking to get a good appraisal for her to help her get an honest sale price for it, I know little about the market other than they are valuable. I can get more pictures if they will help. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/swnHVYAmtbJ3Sduh6
    Kraaaken likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    294 times
    Has it been sitting on foam for 20 years, and what does the other side look like?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm honestly not sure if it's been stored in that case, but I can find out. Here is a picture of the other side, not the best picture though. I'll work on getting more and better pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o9oEeYvPeg9QUwoS9

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1394 times
    Laid flat pictures directly over the gun in a lighter background might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks...

K

Member #
    Liked
    755 times
    It's a nice shooter grade python that has been fired quite a bit and should be priced accordingly.

The blueing looks nice and there is no holster wear. But, there are finger prints on the cylinder and elsewhere that may have etched the finish - can say for sure. The screw heads on the gun look good with a little buggering on the grips. It also has had a trigger shoe added which is a detractor and will leave marks on the trigger. Although the gun shows no holster wear, the cylinder, barrel, and grips show substantial use.

Sorry to say, it will not bring collector value … price it as a nice, well used shooter.
    Last edited by TFlyboy; 08-20-2019 at 03:39 PM. Reason: gun is not unfired
    Kraaaken, oberon, BRANSON and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Nice old Python looks like it could use a wipe down. I'd check and see if it has the " hollow" underlug. Not sure when that went away. But would definitely help value wise. Also as stated earlier better photos(after wipe down) would help. Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    The hollow under lug was exclusive to only 1955-1957 so if it has one theres something very wrong. I dont entirely agree with TFly's assessment of its condition. While its definitely been "loved" over its life I would say it's a fairly high end shooter. I think you will be surprised what a nice rub down with a silicone cloth and then some renaissance wax will do with that gun. Holster wear or use wear that literally takes the finish away is the worst because once that finish is gone theres no way to bring it back. All the light marks and finger prints should be able to be worked out even if it takes a long time of rubbing and buffing because they can only have gone so deep into the finish.

I would say if this was my gun and I was going to be selling it I would take a nice afternoon and give the gun a complete cleaning inside and out. Make sure the internals are nice and oiled up and give it a generous coat of renaissance wax on everything including the grips. See what I have from there but I think it would turn out pretty good. After that I think around $2100 is a fair price for that gun.
    1956 6" Royal Blue Colt Python .357
    1980 8" Nickel Colt Python .357
    1967 4" Royal Blue Colt Python .357
    1972 4" Nickel Colt Python .357

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    I would pay $2300 all day long for that Python. Pre letter Pythons still bring a premium here and that is a very nice condition revolver.

Member #
    Liked
    2063 times
    Quote Originally Posted by algamear View Post
    The hollow under lug was exclusive to only 1955-1957 so if it has one theres something very wrong. I dont entirely agree with TFly's assessment of its condition. While its definitely been "loved" over its life I would say it's a fairly high end shooter. I think you will be surprised what a nice rub down with a silicone cloth and then some renaissance wax will do with that gun. Holster wear or use wear that literally takes the finish away is the worst because once that finish is gone theres no way to bring it back. All the light marks and finger prints should be able to be worked out even if it takes a long time of rubbing and buffing because they can only have gone so deep into the finish.

I would say if this was my gun and I was going to be selling it I would take a nice afternoon and give the gun a complete cleaning inside and out. Make sure the internals are nice and oiled up and give it a generous coat of renaissance wax on everything including the grips. See what I have from there but I think it would turn out pretty good. After that I think around $2100 is a fair price for that gun.

My 59 Python has a hollow lug--- never heard exclusive to 55-57.

Member #
    Liked
    1829 times
    Would expect hollow lug through 1966 timeframe.
    ttazzman and Kraaaken like this.
    Colt snubbies rule.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links