I need help from Argentina regarding a Colt Python!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By feralmerril

Thread: I need help from Argentina regarding a Colt Python!

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

I need help from Argentina regarding a Colt Python!

Hi! I would like to know if anyone saw something like this on a Python? Its a 1996 6 inch stainless steel Python serial PN13XXX. I appreciate any information. Thank you very much.

Python-1.jpg

Python-2.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    9089 times
    I haven't. I dont see how that got out the factory door. If you bought it used it looks like someone between the factory and a past owner touched it up with a file for some stupid reason. Maybe it was a "lunch box" gun that was messed up in the factory??

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1132 times
    I bought a 4" python in the early 80's from a friend of mine that worked for a large gun Distributor in my city. He pulled it out of the box just long enough to check the serial number, put it back in and then handed the box to me. I filled out the paper work, paid and left. When I got home and looked it over I noticed that on the right side about where the cylinder latch would be on the left side there was a major blemish in the metal. It looked bad. I shook my head too. The Royal Blue was right over it. Several Colt employees had to have seen it. I sent it back to Colt under warranty. They fixed the blemish and refinished it. So, the Collector value was ruined.

Sad to say but yes, Stuff like this has happened many, many times at Colt through the years.
    Last edited by scstrain; 08-31-2019 at 11:08 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    688 times
    Iím with Merrill, most likely scenario is someone touched it up. How you ask?
    Example, I have a Smith and Wesson that is (or was) 99% in the Original box. Itís so rare Iíve had seasoned smith collectors tell me they werenít made. I refer them to the standard catalog and they are like, hmm well guess so but never saw or even heard of one. Anyway I kept this gun in a padded gun zippered case. One day I way getting something out of safe, kept fell top shelf to bottom edge of safe. I thought man Iím glad it was in that super thick case. I pull it out, checked grips, everything looked good... then I noticed something one edge was flat and rolled looking back into the metal. The finish was perfect no scratch, looks like a factory defect. I thought how could that happen??? It hit perfectly on the sharp edge of the gun safe lip perfectly on the zipper where no padding was. Many times I thought about filing and touching but thankfully never did. Took me about 5-6 years to stop getting sick every time I thought about it lol.
    Strange things have happened from colt, there are some king cobras out there rolled one side with the Anaconda 44 Magnum roll mark. I know of 3 such guns and have personally inspected and held one of them. They all in a tiny serial number range. I know these guns left colt like this.
    Basically it comes down to Human nature on your python, if you are selling, itís a factory defect, if buying itís done after the factory. Iíd guesstimate about 90% post factory and 10% factory. Oh and Iíd check the top strap to see if itís bent any before shooting, doubtful but Iíd look.
    Last edited by big_gus; 09-01-2019 at 06:30 AM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    3967 times
    There's no telling what happened to it, but that looks like very poor milling to me. If you look at the second picture you can see some streaks that rum parallel with the cut, which is typical for milling. Also, if somebody went through the trouble to file it and even sand blast the top strap you'd think he would do a much neater job. My own guess is that the frame slipped in the fixture when they were milling the bevel, in other words a pretty darn bad factory defect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

Member #
    Liked
    4195 times
    We like to think of these Colt's as perfect, but that is not the case. More then likely someone, well the polisher slipped when shaping the transition.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    9089 times
    I wonder if on a deal like that, lets say it`s a factory flaw where the gun is still safe to shoot but the flaw cant be covered, maybe they are sold at a huge discount to a employee or a jobber rather than being scrapped?? Kinda like that Statler Brothers comedy record about some store having a sale on cracked eggs every saturday night.
    WVCOLT likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
    I wonder if on a deal like that, lets say it`s a factory flaw where the gun is still safe to shoot but the flaw cant be covered, maybe they are sold at a huge discount to a employee or a jobber rather than being scrapped?? Kinda like that Statler Brothers comedy record about some store having a sale on cracked eggs every saturday night.
    Nice point ^^^^^^
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Thank you all for your thoughts. I’m almost sure that this gun left the factory in this shape, its the first time I see something like this with Colt. Thank you all!!!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links