Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By aircraftman
  • 1 Post By MARKO65

Thread: 1959 Python advice

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

1959 Python advice

I found a 1959 Blue 6" Python at my LGS today. It has a little holster wear on the left side muzzle and the grips are not correct. Other than those two issues the gun is in immaculate shape with very little cylinder ring. It does not appear to have been fired much and whoever had it took very good care of it. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they replaced the grips which are pretty nice and have the Colt Medallion. I have never seen this type of grips before and do not believe they came from Colt .It does not come with a box or PPW. After discussing the price and describing the issue about the grips, I can purchase the gun for $2100.00. Being I would have to find an original set of grips for it, my question is, is the price right or should I move on? I know being an early model make it's value go up when it is all correct.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Pics
    Kraaaken and oberon like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    682 times
    thatís sounds like a fantastic buy on a 59. I would just make sure itís original finish (but probably worth that if not tbh in this market, not to me tho). Deal, python, pawn shop are words that usually donít go together nowadays because of internet and the nature of the beast. When I find a deal like that, I start looking for why itís priced low, I usually locate the major problem about 24/25 times. But that one time, you go home smiling. No one will be able to help without pictures. There are no mystery grips for pythons from factory. Only ever used a few, Medallions can be different but not on a 59, it would have traditional small horse gold medallions for sure from factory. What do they look like, full checkered? Smileys? 3rd gen? Service? Other than that, they would be aftermarket grips.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Yeah pics please. A 1959 for $2100 retail sounds too good to be true and that means it probably is.
    1956 6" Royal Blue Colt Python .357
    1980 8" Nickel Colt Python .357
    1967 4" Royal Blue Colt Python .357
    1972 4" Nickel Colt Python .357

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7929 times
    If you look up at the top of the Python page you'll see a tutorial on Colt Target grips, showing pictures of all known types of genuine Colt grips.

In wood Colt Target grips there were very few variations, with only the late type Colt Python Elite laminated finger groove type being really different.
    Colt did use Custom Shop grips and sold after-market grips made in India and Italy, and usually made of fancy woods like Rosewood, but these invariably followed the Colt standard Target grip design closely.
    Some of these had Colt Custom Shop medallions, many had standard Colt medallions, especially the after-market sales grips.

Member #
    Liked
    2116 times
    $2,100 buy that Python otherwise later on you will be kicking yourself very fair price.
    Kraaaken likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8823 times
    If it is in otherwise original shape, you better be there at zero dark-thirty tomorrow morning with a wad of cash. Run don't walk.
    That is, unless somebody already poached it right from under you.
    If you don't get that revolver........well......... He who hesitates is lost.
    You snooze, you lose.
    Grips are all over the place. Olle even makes perfect reproductions for 'em.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Ended up purchasing it and found a set of original grips also. All complete now.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links