Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Buyer Beware

Member #
    Liked
    323 times

Buyer Beware

Folks,

I want to bring this to your attention. I sold this blue Python two weeks ago here in PA. I bought it from the original PA owner a few years ago and it had NO box or papers. Funny how it suddenly now has a box and papers.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/834602167

Also, I sold this nickel one to the same buyer. I obtained it too from the original PA owner, with original box and papers, but no hang tag. Now it has a hang tag.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/835677406

Buyer beware.

Al
    Redcat94, 73shovel, ei8ht and 3 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22501 times
    The person who has them for sale must be a great detective to have found those original items!
    skwcoltguy, ei8ht and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    The person who has them for sale must be a great detective to have found those original items!

Yes...it is very impressive indeed!
    "There is nothing permanent except change." - Heraclitus

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2467 times
    People are paying over $4000.00 for a Colt Python? Damn I wish I kept the one's I had years ago. Too bad I lost my crystal ball years ago.
    bearcat6 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6376 times
    It's a good case study in "flipping capitalism", where gunbroker auctions sell for the absolute highest prices an item can attain. Think about it, the guy bought the gun for perhaps 1/4 what the current asking price is. He sold it to someone for perhaps 1/2 to 3/4 of the current asking price. But there is still meat on the bone - the new flipper will probably make a grand still. It's why I seldom, if ever buy on national auction sites, if it's an in demand item. It's like going to a car lot and paying above the MSRP. Some people fall for that, but not smart shoppers.
    ei8ht and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    350 times
    Is the box and paperwork fake? Are the additional items correct (as to time period) for when the gun was made? I'm not sure what to beware of. The box should have the ID of the gun, inc serial number, so if I was interested I'd ask for a picture of the box end.
    dandak likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3282 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beemermark View Post
    Is the box and paperwork fake? Are the additional items correct (as to time period) for when the gun was made? I'm not sure what to beware of. The box should have the ID of the gun, inc serial number, so if I was interested I'd ask for a picture of the box end.
    You can buy end labels with anything you want on them.
    Real cowboys don't line dance, a Buckaroo won't even watch.

Member #
    Liked
    6376 times
    Exactly. How much is a box worth? $800? 1,000? What if it's original, but not the one that came with the gun? What if it's fake?

This is why I never pay more for a gun just because it has a box. I buy the gun, based on IT'S condition. A box is a smoke screen that tries to imply some collector bought the gun, left it in the box in a safe, dry closet. But you can tell how the gun was used by looking at the GUN. The box is meaningless. I have a couple mint boxes of guns I bought new in the 1980s, but shot the gun itself thousands of times. Does a box subtract all that use? No.

You hear appraisals all the time that go something like this, "Oh, nice Colt. Worth about $1500, but with the box, $2200." WHAT?! A BOX is worth $700? But the prices realized on Gunbroker prove it is....to some.
    Last edited by azshot; 10-03-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    323 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beemermark View Post
    My point is. I sold the Blue Python and it had no box or paperwork. That is how I bought it from the original owner. Now it has a box which is not original to the gun. To me the ad is deceptive.
    Same goes for the Nickel one that now has a hang tag.

Al
    Kerz, Monsai52, bczadnm and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Would qualify as consumer fraud in many US States. Can you keep an FFL if you engage in persistent fraud on the public, especially across State lines?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links