Gunbroker python
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Gunbroker python

Member #
    Liked
    759 times
    Pythons with 2 front sight pins are usually considered pre-90's as a rough rule of thumb - pythons with the single front sight pins are usually 90's or later.

The medallions are the half horse medallions and do not have the 150 in them. Thus, they are basically '87 or later medallions. And the hard shell box is typical of the late '80's pythons with the picture box wrapper.

Being a high T-series SN, this python is a strike years ('86-'91) python where some of the serial number tracking seems to be a little lacking.

As for BSTS - I prefer to deal with a well recognized seller or to have either a letter or label.
    medallion_half_horse.JPG
    ttazzman and 68python like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TFlyboy View Post
    Pythons with 2 front sight pins are usually considered pre-90's as a rough rule of thumb - pythons with the single front sight pins are usually 90's or later.
    Certainly true- as a generality- but we have also seen 2-pin barrel reported as '90 DOS, with later-style dot matrix SN markings.
    Some mix-and-match in that transition 80's -90's time, for sure.
    Would be interesting to see both DOM's and DOS's on some of these....

Similar Colt proclivities can be seen in the SP1 early and later version transitions , and M16A1 to M16A2 transitions.
    Last edited by 68python; 10-16-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    TFlyboy likes this.
    Colt snubbies rule.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times

6" SS Python

I ended up buying the Python discussed in the forum. I contacted Colt and the verified the serial number on the gun as 1987. Didn't request a letter yet because I am not that concerned if it is factory BSTS. Most of the stainless Pythons on Gunbroker are aftermarket polished anyway. I haven't received the gun yet but have communicated with the seller numerous times. He is is a LEO and i felt comfortable with him. His credentials were impressive and I feel if I have any issues, he will stand behind the gun. Withholding his name but his information is below:

Acting Chief of Police
    U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Police
    1500 East Woodrow Wilson Avenue
    Jackson, Mississippi 39216
    Office: (601) 368-4447
    Dispatch: (601) 364-1234
    Fax: (601) 368-4453

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\KSIPE_~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image002.gif[/IMG]
    saemetric likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    847 times
    Nice purchase on a nice gun. Let us know how you like it with some better pix.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    741 times
    I think the box “issue” doesn’t matter on this gun with no sleeve (or not the right box). The smaller hard shell case/no foam inside with picture box sleeve is circa 1990-1996 on revolvers, possible could have been some in 1989 but I never saw any. All my 1986-1989 snakes were in Maroon anniversary and anniversary style boxes. However stuff still turns up from time to time I didn’t know about. Like that factory snub anaconda awhile back! I would definitely get a letter, I would lean towards aftermarket polish but don’t take that as certain.
    Last edited by big_gus; 11-08-2019 at 12:58 AM.
    ColtsDad likes this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    1829 times
    I like what Gus says above . I have an 87 also with the maroon 150.
    Box and label complete, but beat - long before fakes.
    Bought used in 98 for under $600 OTD. I returned an ordered 6” blue,
    because I didn’t care for ELITE roll mark or stocks.

Offered it ONCE on Forum for trade , and reached out ONCE to
    local WTB ad, present for guys father - he chose Rolex.
    All good , I just like blued better .
    I think I told guy $3300.

i had NO reason to believe was not real deal , but checked Colts lookup.
    Fortunately came up - with CORRECT model number.

These Pythons we’re hovering 4K for five years plus until the last couple years.
    I think 3k right now is a decent price for buyer or seller for the real deal.
    I also think box/package means squat in this thread listing .
    I obviously could be mistaken though .

My BSTS Python was one of my first Colts , but REALLY wanted blue .
    After chasing one for 20+ years ..... my wife got me one last Christmas,
    first she’s ever bought me . I have no need to ever get rid of my BSTS now.

For kicks , I just entered OP’s number - NO DICE .

But the point of my post is you can get lucky with a BSTS snake gun verification.
    I believe my 4” KING COBRA got a model number hit , but lettered - had no box.
    COLT TO THE CORE

Member #
    Liked
    1829 times
    I had to screen shot my other IPad - after seeing my pic , I saw that first serial input showed squat .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    COLT TO THE CORE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links