Python 2020
Page 115 of 199 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 113 114 115 116 117 125 165 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1988
Like Tree3543Likes

Thread: Python 2020

Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mafd2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
    Here's a Python for sale advertised with factory blemishes - two dings to the rib and a scratch next to the cylinder release.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852071535
    And with all those pics not one of the muzzle...
    Muzzle pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I have seen and handled but not shot the 6" Python. Here is my post from yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by kschmider View Post
    Hey everyone,

Just back from a fairly large LGS. I ordered the 4.25 inch Python. They told me it would be about 2 months before it arrives. Price was $1499.

They have one 6 inch Python on display and they let me handle it. The reports about the action are true, no stacking what so ever. Short and easy pull and then break.

Next, I closely inspected the muzzle and crown, flawless, not a nick to be found.
    I asked if I could take pictures but they politely asked me not too.

Looking back at my experience, I should have at least captured the serial number, my bad.

Thanks,
    Karl
    First of all, some reference. I'm not a Colt guy, yet, but I have 3 S&W revolvers so that will be my comparison.

As I mentioned, I handled the 6" yesterday. I thought it would feel quite heavy compared to my 4" S&W 686 but it didn't really. I think it is because it balances so well. I ordered the 4.25" Python but am now reconsidering and wish that I ordered the 6".

Also from above, I worked the action in DA and it was incredible. Short easy pull and then break. I'm wondering if that is a design issue that is being experienced in the videos with the "light strikes"?

Other than that, I was really impressed with the gun overall. And of course, it was just beautiful.

I"m nervously awaiting the arrival of my order...

Karl
    sixguns and jluelf like this.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I just picked mine up today the fit and finish are great.
    The crown is not perfect but it is not at all like some of the the bad ones that have been posted. Mine is more slightly scuffed looking but more its more cosmetic and noticable if your really looking for it.
    Will hopefully get to shoot it in the next day or two. Fingers crossed that it functions without incident.
    what would you say and Burgs like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Botiemaster View Post
    Personally, after a good bit, I've reconsidered my stance. I'm not anti 2020 Python yet but...I am very VERY turned off by that bar code on the gun. What in the flying EFF is that about??? I don't remember that code on my 1911 or SAA or M4. What the eff is that bar code doing on the python...
    Uh.. they didn't have Bar-code technology 70-80 years ago its a great way to keep track on stuff. Starting using it in my business back in the late 90's a game changer. Its called progress....

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Does anyone have any information on whether Colt knows what's causing these pythons to fail to rotate? I was really wanting one badly but now I'm scared to buy one because $1500 is a lot of money without knowing if Colt even knows what is causing the rotation problem.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Remember, there are about six hundred thousand old Pythons out there. Not exactly something that is rare.

"This is one thing i cant understand: How are they so expensive if there are so many of them? They are nice, to be sure, but $2K+ nice? IDK. Same for single actions, there's bound to be more of those than Pythons at this point."

I'm not going to research how many Pythons were made, but I'll take your word for it that there were 5 or 6 hundred-thousand original Pythons made. If you divide that number up into the number of gunowners in this country, actually this planet, who would like to own a revolver, and a Python at that, it's not such a huge number. Not that it makes it "rare," just that it's not as many as "5 or 6 hundred-thousand" sounds. Especially since many people that own one have no intention of selling it; they plan to freakin' die with it and leave it to their heirs.

I agree with SCSTRAIN but only up to a point; no, Pythons are not rare, but that's obviously not necessarily required for them to be in high demand, and demand IS why their "value" is so high. They have that "something" that everyone likes. That "something" could be the mystique, the hand-fitting, the craftsmanship, their dad once owned one, whatever, it doesn't matter. (Pythons already are what they are long before Walking Dead came along, although I'm sure WD helped.) These are reasons why there is a demand to own one, which drives up the price, regardless of rarity, or in the case of the Python, the lack thereof.

You could draw analogies to lots of things, say Harley-Davidsons, or as someone mentioned earlier, a '63 split-window Corvette. Harley's are antiquated ("junk?") compared to a modern Japanese motorcycle. But given a choice of a free bike, most people over the age of, oh, I don't know, maybe 35 or so, and not including sport bike riders, would most likely rather have a new HD Street Glide vs a Honda 1300 Fury. Most people would rather have a '63 Split Window Corvette vs a Toyota Camry. The Fury and the Camry are the more practical choices, and I don't mean to pick on Harley's, classic Corvettes and Pythons (or the Japanese for that matter!) but you get my point. Most people would love to own a Harley or a classic Corvette or a Python, or at least be able to say they once owned one. This is all just my opinion so I don't know if it's true but I do believe it. Just contributing to the conversation.
    ColtsDad, lbaker45 and runscott like this.

Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    1st trip to the range...

100 rds of .38
    50 rds of .357

I ran the gun fast and hot to the point I could hardly touch the cylinder.

ZERO issues of any kind and I could have shot another 50rds of magnums easy if I had them with me.

Sweet baby Jesus this thing is amazing! Sorry about Hickock45 and Country kids bad luck... colt will fix em.

The pics speak for themselves. Best 6 shot group of the night from 20’ was 1.25 inches center to center. Oh yea, how’s that muzzle crown look now boys????

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    Right on Crooked! I bet your the majority... most people don't post vids on Youtube or care about that sort of stuff.
    Kurusu likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    769 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    Here's my thought on manufacturing or engineering errors (I'm in both industries). It happens. Bugs creep into new products, always have. Or QA testing misses a slight flaw that can be fixed later. Happened with the NASA early Apollo capsule that caught on fire, then was re-engineered for a year, then we got to the moon. Happened with the Service Module O2 tank stirring device in Apollo 13 too, causing an amazing escape return flight. Happens with cars, refrigerators, ball point pens, iPads, cell phone batteries. This is part of engineering. It's not a sign of a flawed company, it's just that they need to tighten a few things up, review a few processes. But with a new product that hasn't ever been made, it's just going to happen. Maybe Lockheed can currently make the Block 60 F-16 fighter with zero errors. Because they've been building earlier model F-16s since the 1970s, and all the bugs are worked out. Other times, aerospace makes a very costly mistake, like the 737-Max.....

Colt did a great job engineering the new Python. Now as it moves from prototype to full production, they just have to work out a few bugs in how it's manufactured (change the way the crown is cut) and perhaps the engineering (change the spring tension or angles of some of the action parts). Companies change and optimize things in production constantly, it's part of the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnidelyWhiplash View Post
    Yes...mine is at the gun store waiting for Marylandstan's seven day jail sentence to expire but I was able to handle it when I did the required paperwork. Even though I would describe the stocks as a modern interpretation on the classic Python stocks...they are far more comfortable in the hand than the originals. The revolver balances very well though it is slightly muzzle heavy with the 6" barrel. That will help dampen recoil. My current Pythons are 4" and 2 1/2" so the difference in forward weight bias is noticeable to me.

The double-action trigger pull is nothing less than superb. The finish is awesome...it's nearly to the level of the original Python's ultimate stainless finish...far nicer than the previous Python's standard stainless finish.

Until I get it to the range and shoot it there's no way I can give it a full thumbs up...the proof will show on the target. I don't anticipate any mechanical issue but am fully aware of the possibility. Once I get it to the range I will give a range report.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1LEcamaro View Post
    I have seen 3 guns that the cylinder stopped rotating, the only thing I can figure is that the hand is not sliding all the way back down and engaging on the next cylinder tooth. Why that could happen I dont know, trigger not returning 100 percent?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRiver View Post
    1st trip to the range...

100 rds of .38
    50 rds of .357

I ran the gun fast and hot to the point I could hardly touch the cylinder.

ZERO issues of any kind and I could have shot another 50rds of magnums easy if I had them with me.

Sweet baby Jesus this thing is amazing! Sorry about Hickock45 and Country kids bad luck... colt will fix em.

The pics speak for themselves. Best 6 shot group of the night from 20’ was 1.25 inches center to center. Oh yea, how’s that muzzle crown look now boys????
    Nice shooting!
    Yeah that Rem stuff is kind of dirty.
    Colt
    NRA LIFE Member

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRiver View Post
    So it does appear that some of the internals have some touch up work. The trigger surfaces appear to be polished in some form or another...

I am wondering if an “assembler” at the factory thought he was a gun smith and decided to “touch up” the guns going to the youtubers. And in turn took off material on the leading edge of the pawl arm. Even .025” of material removed would ruin the reliability.

This may be a case of someone’s custom fit and finish destroying precision CNC parts.

I attached a series of pics of the advancement pawl engaging the cylinder. Extremely tight tolerances. When compared to the KC it’s almost identical.

So the difference between the two would be the springs or the “hand fitting”. If you remove the grips on the new python it is possible to lubricate the contact surfaces between the linear leaf spring and the trigger reset / cylinder advancement pawl area. That should improve the performance of those parts. Hmmm moving parts need oil... weird.

I’ll lube this thing up good and head to the range later tonight. Going to feed it at least 150rds and see what is what.
    hmmm intersting

Page 115 of 199 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 113 114 115 116 117 125 165 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links