Like Tree3324Likes

Thread: Python 2020

Member #
    Liked
    767 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunbroke View Post
    Few thoughts from a life long Colt collector:

Unbelievably Well Done Department:
    1) All around the piece looks the part - there's no doubt when you look at it from any angle what it is.
    2) An amazingly well timed and choreographed launch - pre-Shot Show, massive multimedia outlets having content, and stock already at the distributors; with only slight leakage in the 11th hour. That's beyond impressive for anyone, let alone Colt.
    3) The price - it's affordable and will allow a whole other generation to be able to own a Colt Python

On the Collector Side:
    1) I'd be worried for the original King Cobra values - why spend $1500 plus on a used KC when you can get a new in box Python?
    2) Excited about what's to come - talking about a stronger and thicker top strap; was the platform engineered for 41 mag.? (fingers crossed)

On the "Careful Pilgrim" Side:
    1) "The old Python action was a tall bar to leap over . . . but we did it"
    2) "Actually the old Python if you shot a lot of full 357 mag and shot them very quickly in double action you could knock them out of time"
    3) "The Python's from the 50's had a lot of hand fitting that really doesn't need to happen now with modern CNC equipment"
    The legacy and values of "old Python" will be a large part of this version's success. They're two different revolvers produced in different era's but both in Hartford and are probably remarkably similar in performance; celebrate that and leave it there. I won't be able to take too much of the the "new Python" is better than the "old Python" before a rebuttal containing a combination of the words: MIM'ed, forged, tool steel, bank vault, royal blue, silver ball bore treatment, Custom Shop etc.

One obvious thing that's missing:
    1) How come no back-strap serrations?

I'm surprised wasn't talked about:
    1) The new Python being a short double action revolver; compared to the original. The original E & I long stacking double action pull was something many shooters loved but many didn't. Colt mentioned the double action pull being lighter and non-stacking but don't believe they mentioned it was also shortened; which is an advantage I'd expect them to market.

Hoping and looking forward to seeing them in stock soon!
    Regarding what 'might' be missing.... does the barrel have the slight 'narrowing' that the original python had, i.e. metal ball treatment?

From Colt Fever website. Quoted.

"Colt went even farther with the Python barrel. It was manufactured to an even higher standard with an ultra-smooth bore and a faster rifling twist that stabilizes the bullet better.

Uniquely, the Python bore was tapered slightly toward the muzzle.
    As the bullet passed down the barrel the tapered bore gripped the bullet tighter, increasing accuracy.
    As part of the manufacturing process, the Python barrel was given a somewhat mysterious treatment known as "the silver ball".
    In this process a silver colored ball of a secret material was pressed down the bore with a hand press device. This left the inside of the barrel very uniform, perfectly smooth, and with a brilliant mirror-like shine."

Also I just noticed the new grips no longer have the black grip nuts but sport gold colored ones. Trivia.
    Last edited by denpython; 01-01-2020 at 06:45 PM.
    Colt
    NRA LIFE Member

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Now I am really stuck as I try to purchase at least one gun a year. I have the Cobra, King Cobra and was going to get thenKing Cobra Target but now I really want both versions of the Python!
    jluelf, denpython, WVCOLT and 2 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4624 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrincolt View Post
    Solid advice gentlemen. All worth a shot!
    Just remember this.... I believe most of us can attest to this >>>> Been there and done that. Read that book Men Are from Mars, Women Are From Venus.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WVCOLT View Post
    What just happened to this friendly New Python thread ? Not sure what went wrong here.

Attachment 671933
    This new python biz has done exactly what I suspected it would do as far as causing a stir and bringing 2 groups head to head and I bet the worst hasn't been seen yet
    Last edited by COLONELCOLT; 01-01-2020 at 06:47 PM.
    WVCOLT, Boge, Kurusu and 2 others like this.
    Member of the Holy Cult of the Hartford Horsey
    God created man-Col. Colt made them equal
    "The glock is a conscript's weapon...and is of no interest to the serious pistolero..." Col. Jeff Cooper

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4624 times
    Quote Originally Posted by COLONELCOLT View Post
    This new python biz had done exactly what I suspected it would do as far as causing a stir and bringing 2 groups head to head and I bet the worst hasn't been seen yet
    Yes Sir.. Seems to be trending that way for sure.
    Kurusu likes this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4624 times
    Quote Originally Posted by denpython View Post
    Regarding what 'might' be missing.... does the barrel have the slight 'narrowing' that the original python had, i.e. metal ball treatment?

From Colt Fever website. Quoted.

"Colt went even farther with the Python barrel. It was manufactured to an even higher standard with an ultra-smooth bore and a faster rifling twist that stabilizes the bullet better.

Uniquely, the Python bore was tapered slightly toward the muzzle.
    As the bullet passed down the barrel the tapered bore gripped the bullet tighter, increasing accuracy.
    As part of the manufacturing process, the Python barrel was given a somewhat mysterious treatment known as "the silver ball".
    In this process a silver colored ball of a secret material was pressed down the bore with a hand press device. This left the inside of the barrel very uniform, perfectly smooth, and with a brilliant mirror-like shine."

Also I just noticed the new grips no longer have the black grip nuts but sport gold colored ones. Trivia.
    What a great evaluation here. I for one appreciate the time you took to present it here. GREAT JOB !!!!
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4624 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter41 View Post
    Now I am really stuck as I try to purchase at least one gun a year. I have the Cobra, King Cobra and was going to get thenKing Cobra Target but now I really want both versions of the Python!
    Heck I'm stuck looking at your avatar. LOL.. All kidding aside I might be in that same boat with you.
    Kurusu likes this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I just don't see how the new Python will hurt the value of the old ones. Two different guns really. I have a few of the old ones, and I hope the new ones are equally good. I hope to get one and do my own comparisons. What do you guys think about the possibility of a blued version coming out in about 6 month or so?

Member #
    Liked
    2809 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yrsued View Post
    I imagine YOU own an older Python right??

And you have successfully fired over 500 Rounds of .357 Magnum Double Action and it has NEVER gone our to timing, right???

IF you don't, this term applies to you then!!
    Yes I do (4 actually) and yes I have (in all of them). I hope that your rants aren't the new Colt strategy to boost sales of new handguns or anything else. Running down a companies older products to help said company sell their new products is actually a poor business model. But like azshot said you're new here, maybe in the future you're skin will thicken up and you won't consider every disagreement an insult.
    68python and Thirty-Ought 6 like this.
    I’d rather be in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4624 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtIn9 View Post
    I just don't see how the new Python will hurt the value of the old ones. Two different guns really. I have a few of the old ones, and I hope the new ones are equally good. I hope to get one and do my own comparisons. What do you guys think about the possibility of a blued version coming out in about 6 month or so?
    I agree with you comment completely.... I have an unfired NIB 1969 Python that I refuse to shoot. But now with this new one I can buy it when my funds become available and shoot the heck out of it. Cant answer the question on the blued as I believe it's only speculation at this point. Hope it appears anyway !!!!!
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

Page 40 of 186 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 140 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links