Like Tree3477Likes

Thread: Python 2020

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    225 times
    scstrain,

You have a lot of valid points. I've owned pythons since the early seventies and through the years they seem to have gotten better. In looking over some of the pictures I have seen including one with the sideplate clear plastic shows the gun's inner workings are similiar to the Cobra line but there is still a transfer bar like the old Colts. Looks like Colt has managed to put together a very nice gun and did not give up on quality. The stainless Python looks great! I'm guessing they will also make 2 inch models (hope), I don't know that the high polish blued python will come out. I would like to see older Colt python prices come down to reasonable costs because you should not have to get a bank loan to buy a gun!

Al Marin

Colt Python 3.jpg
    Last edited by amarin; 01-02-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    denpython likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5632 times
    I believe the days of $2,000 "shooter" grade older Pythons might be coming to an end.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Member #
    Liked
    1602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeman99 View Post
    I believe the days of $2,000 "shooter" grade older Pythons might be coming to an end.
    Agreed. Also, I feel there will always be some very collectable variants of the original Pythons but I'm definitely glad I don't have a safe full of 4" and 6" Stainless Pythons currently, bought at what they've been selling for over the past couple of years.
    Last edited by Lonestar57; 01-02-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Hootch56 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1523 times

Python 2020

I tend now to disagree about the market value of legacy pythons. First and second generation SAAs still seem to command higher prices even tho the gen 3 is out. I think prices may initially soften then steadily go back up. Time to seek out bargains. Good luck all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kraaaken; 01-02-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    Thanks...

K

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I concur. Who in their right mind would pay more than current msrp of the new ones for a older shooter grade.
    Boge and denpython like this.
    Member of the Holy Cult of the Hartford Horsey
    God created man-Col. Colt made them equal
    "The glock is a conscript's weapon...and is of no interest to the serious pistolero..." Col. Jeff Cooper

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17462 times
    I agree, Russ. I believe the real lasting effect of the new Pythons on the market is older shooter grade Pythons will not sell for closer to collector grade prices simply because they were the ones available more often. Collector grade will still have its niche.. hey. I got a 4” nickel. Yes I want a new 4 -1/4” to go with it. If I didn’t have a 4” .. I’d be on the lookout for one after I got the new 4-1/4”. It’s a collector illness. Some suffer from it. Many understand it.
    OIF2, denpython, Capps and 1 others like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    We'll probably never see a California version so I'm still glad I spent my kids inheritance to get a LNIB 1979 4" Royal blue a few years ago.
    denpython and Thirty-Ought 6 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by COLONELCOLT View Post
    I concur. Who in their right mind would pay more than current msrp of the new ones for a older shooter grade.
    Wouldn't pay 5 cents for the reproduction/cheaply made one.
    It has zero aspirational qualities to me.

If needed another shooter 357, would get another shooter Python, or another P&R Smith 19.
    mafd2 and Thirty-Ought 6 like this.
    Colt snubbies rule.
    Life's too short to carry an ugly firearm.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8434 times
    From the picture of the internal action I can't tell if it's a transfer bar system, but I see a rebound type lever and the old Colt hand and a modified "Vee" spring to power it.
    It looks like Colt has upgraded the old action that was introduced in the 1890's to a modern, stronger, and easier to make version.

I'll predict that the new Python will be a best seller for Colt.
    The reputation of the original Python will boost sales to young shooters who know about the Python legend but couldn't afford to pay used car prices for a revolver.

Of course many people will complain it's not the old Python and the Colt hate will flow, but, whatever the action is, we HAVE a new Python, and from the talk, it's going to be a winner among the people who support gun companies.... shooters.
    This also means that the constant reports of Colt's demise or their abandoning the civilian market are even less likely.

I'm just unhappy that due to financial realities I won't be able to buy one.
    I have had a very long time love affair with the Python, and love the originals, but I'd have a new model in an instant.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    From the picture of the internal action I can't tell if it's a transfer bar system, but I see a rebound type lever and the old Colt hand and a modified "Vee" spring to power it.
    It looks like Colt has upgraded the old action that was introduced in the 1890's to a modern, stronger, and easier to make version.

I'll predict that the new Python will be a best seller for Colt.
    The reputation of the original Python will boost sales to young shooters who know about the Python legend but couldn't afford to pay used car prices for a revolver.

Of course many people will complain it's not the old Python and the Colt hate will flow, but, whatever the action is, we HAVE a new Python, and from the talk, it's going to be a winner among the people who support gun companies.... shooters.
    This also means that the constant reports of Colt's demise or their abandoning the civilian market are even less likely.

I'm just unhappy that due to financial realities I won't be able to buy one.
    I have had a very long time love affair with the Python, and love the originals, but I'd have a new model in an instant.
    I whole heartedly agree
    Last edited by COLONELCOLT; 01-02-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    denpython likes this.
    Member of the Holy Cult of the Hartford Horsey
    God created man-Col. Colt made them equal
    "The glock is a conscript's weapon...and is of no interest to the serious pistolero..." Col. Jeff Cooper

Page 45 of 197 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 95 145 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links