Python 2020
Page 62 of 225 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 ... LastLast
Like Tree3860Likes

Thread: Python 2020

Member #
    Liked
    1486 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    as the owner of an old timey, hand-made, pre-salt wood, Belgian B25 and 2 citoris, I would make the comparison of a new Python vs an old one like that of a B25 and a citori. The hand made one has tighter tolerances, better materials, and is more desirable, but my mass-produced citori is my every day gun and is more enough to get 'er done.

I would concur that the earlier Pythons were more desirable, especially compared to the Strike Year models. YMMV.
    I agree with you except for one thing. Strike year guns.
    I can attest, Odd things and quality has happened with Colt through the years including pre and post war models, models of today and not just the strike years. All years had some sort of problems. Believe it or not, Colt has put out some of it's best guns during the strike years. I have several models from the strike years and are all of superb quality including fit , finish and function. I own Pythons from the 70's and 80's and my 1986 Python (strike year) is probably the best of them all. The action is butter smooth, finish is a flawless beautiful deep wet Royal Blue and surpasses my other Pythons. I also have a Trooper MKV from 1986, King Cobras blue and BRSTS (which are flawless) and Gov't models from the strike years that are fine examples and of superb quality. I've seen much flawed work from non strike years. In fact, my strike year blue King Cobra has a nicer deep blue finish than my 1981 Royal Blue Python. Even though Colt hired around 600 workers during the strike, the best of the "non strikers" were put on the Python line. The other workers learned their jobs quickly. It wasn't long before a new worker had his job perfected. i.e., If he was a polisher and is polishing 200 guns a day well, let's just say, if he doesn't get it all together in a week then he will never get it. Remember, many of the strike workers weren't at Colt for very long either before going on strike.
    68python likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    266 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mafd2 View Post
    I agree with you except for one thing. Strike year guns.
    I did offer a caveat with my YMMV disclaimer. My 1996 Python has the best finish of any Python I ever saw.
    Last edited by Max_Power; 01-04-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1486 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    I did offer a caveat with my YMMV disclaimer. My 1996 Python has the best finish of any Python I ever saw.
    I understand. I guess my point is just because it's a strike year gun doesn't mean it's flawed.
    I've also seen 70's and early 80's revolvers with no Rampant Colt, buggered screws that left from the factory, poor fitting side plates and machine and tool marks on different areas of the guns from the factory. And don't misunderstand me, I own today and have owned many Colts from the 60's through 2000's and I know there's bad in all years and sure the strike years had a share of their problems like anything else but regardless, I've seen and owned many mid-late 80's strike year Colts and all the ones I've owned, I was always impressed with the quality. There's many other forum members that have strike year Colts with no issues. Just saying.

Some of the most sought after Colts were from the strike years including the 3" Combat Python, the Snake Eyes Python, Combat Cobra, 2.5" King Cobra and Custom Cobra.
    68python and az_colt like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    266 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mafd2 View Post
    I understand. I guess my point is just because it's a strike year gun doesn't mean it's flawed.

Some of the most sought after Colts were from the strike years including the 3" Combat Python, the Snake Eyes Python, Combat Cobra, 2.5" King Cobra and Custom Cobra.
    no disagreement here. My mostest valubest Python is my strike year Lew Horton Combat Python
    mafd2 and Thirty-Ought 6 like this.

AJD

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    I do agree with those that say Colt went cheap and it’s not what it used to be. That’s why I didn’t buy a Python when they came out in 1956...they didn’t even boil them in gasoline and furnace blue them like “real” Colts were pre-war...and to think people bought them...yuck! They went cheap in how they built them...such a shame.
    Redcat94 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    848 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AJD View Post
    I do agree with those that say Colt went cheap and it’s not what it used to be. That’s why I didn’t buy a Python when they came out in 1956...they didn’t even boil them in gasoline and furnace blue them like “real” Colts were pre-war...and to think people bought them...yuck! They went cheap in how they built them...such a shame.
    I guess vast improvements in technology and manufacturing over the last 80 years havent had anything to do with it. Not to mention the tighter environmental regulations or even OSHA for that matter. Boiling anything in gasoline makes about as much sense, and is as safe as, looking down the barrel to see if the gun is loaded.
    Thirty-Ought 6 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18068 times
    With a couple of days of Gunbroker auctions completed, I was curious to see what the last 48 hours of completed auction prices yielded.
    The last 15 new pythons all sold for above $2100 .. averaging close to $2200 excluding ship cost. What can ya say.. people want it and some aren’t gonna wait. The new cobras and new king cobras were a mere warm up to this. I’m still a little ticked at myself for paying msrp on the new Cobra the other year, and that was after several months after it was released and they still couldn’t be found in gunshops locally due to low initial production and rollout issues.
    This time, Colt did it right with having initial stock ready (3000+ made already) at the starting gate. .. and it’s still amazing that the rush to buy prices difference over msrp is averaging $700 over msrp. That would buy a new Cobra right there with change left over.
    I think many of us had a feeling that this was going to be a big deal on an unprecedented scale.
    Good going, Colt. Tip of the hat to you.
    🔫 WWYS

AJD

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stgen1916saa View Post
    I guess vast improvements in technology and manufacturing over the last 80 years havent had anything to do with it. Not to mention the tighter environmental regulations or even OSHA for that matter. Boiling anything in gasoline makes about as much sense, and is as safe as, looking down the barrel to see if the gun is loaded.
    My sarcasm didn’t come through very well. Your post is correct on technology and supports my tongue in cheek post. The reality is if Colt had modern CNC machines and today’s technology the Python would be built the same way it’s built now starting in 1956. Just like as soon as hot salt bluing(new technology) became available Colt ditched the old method of bluing.

Member #
    Liked
    483 times
    The cylinder leads remind me of those on some old military revolvers.

2024-01-03-23-13_p3370256.jpg
    mafd2, Hopalong and denpython like this.

Member #
    Liked
    848 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AJD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stgen1916saa View Post
    My sarcasm didn’t come through very well. Your post is correct on technology and supports my tongue in cheek post. The reality is if Colt had modern CNC machines and today’s technology the Python would be built the same way it’s built now starting in 1956. Just like as soon as hot salt bluing(new technology) became available Colt ditched the old method of bluing.
    Im sorry, I didnt pick up your sarcasm. It's just some people are hopelessly stuck in the past. Maybe we should bring back the model T.

Page 62 of 225 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links