Colt Forum banner

Python 2020

612K views 3K replies 306 participants last post by  dsk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, the 'Yankee Marshall' of YouTube announced today that Colt dealers already have the new Python but the release for sale is set for January, 2020.

I post it in the lounge because until this FYI is verified, it's not Python category worthy.
Thanks

#2,870 ·
New here hunting for a Python, it's been on my dream gun list for years. I've been following this thread and checking everywhere. Sportsman's Warehouse is showing it in stock again, but isn't letting me select an FFL to use. When I add it to my cart, Pick Up In Store is the only option. I tried that, and can't find anywhere to change to select somewhere local (apparently SW doesn't have any stores in Texas). Is there some trick to using their site or is it not an option?

#2,881 ·
Um no...inside the works might be one thing and even there is unacceptable. The grip frame should be nicely finished not all ground up where the stock was made to fit. I don’t have any tooling marks anywhere inside or out on my many Smith and Wesson’s. This is shoddy workmanship plain and simple. It should not happen on a supposedly premium gun. Colt has dropped the ball on these.

Dave

#2,885 ·
Some will say the rougher non-visible surfaces will better hold oils for rust prevention. Maybe true...but just an excuse.

#2,889 ·
Can't say...no crystal ball here...but I would think Colt probably has something in their long-term plans but considering the market right now I think they'll be concentrating on simply getting current product out while the market is hot. Introducing something new in this environment could disrupt the production lines needlessly.

Reactions: LB001
#2,890 ·
My money is on the 38 diamondback being the next new product. I think a smart move though would be to make the 1911A1 a standard production item. Minimal retooling, cheap parkerized finish and cheap plastic stocks. WWII buffs would go nuts over a Colt replica instead of SDS and Auto Ordnance.

#2,900 ·
After months of looking I finally bought a new Python. I took it to the range for the first time today and was absolutely blown away. The trigger, balance and sights made it an incredibly easy gun to shoot well. I had a tighter group shooting rapid fire double action than I did shooting my government model. The old Pythons are pretty but the new Python shoots better in my opinion. The trigger is much more consistent with zero stacking.

#2,904 ·
New products from makers are traditionally introduced at the SHOT Show...the 2021 show has been cancelled due to Covid. I think the pressure to have new models ready is off due to that...maybe introductions will be delayed...that plus the record sales due to civil unrest will keep makers concentrating on filling current orders.

No SHOT show might give any planned new product the time to get any intro right...production and quality control straightened out first. Colt doesn't need anymore glitches like the new Cobra in 2017 and the Python earlier this year.

Reactions: mark40
#2,912 · (Edited)
There is nothing to fix. What has been shipping for most of the year contains the production trigger. Earlier issues have been resolved. If you are referring to the amount force required to fire in double action either you can live with it or not. Maybe at some point the after market will come out with something but nothing from Colt. That is viewed as a reliability issue to ensure primer detonation with all ammunition tested.

#2,913 ·
Busadave I should gave a better explanation of my trigger in single action. After you cock the hammer back to engage in single action mode, while pulling the trigger you will notice the hammer going back before going forward. I actually shoot better groups DA than SA, because of this.