Legacy Python Values after the New Python
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree204Likes

Thread: Legacy Python Values after the New Python

Member #
    Liked
    7405 times

Legacy Python Values after the New Python

Rather than clutter up that other thread "new 2020 Python" about what OLD Pythons may do, I thought I'd start a new thread. These are my thoughts about the legacy "old" Pythons.

1. Pythons have been in a "bubble", or rapidly increasing prices the from about 2007 to 2018. I always said, on these pages, that they were over priced by speculators or "investors" and it was risky to buy high expecting it to go higher. Whereas in the 50s a man would buy one, today people were buying multiples.

2. They made a lot of Pythons for decades, so supply was high, but demand was higher.

3. For some reason the later generation ones, mostly in shiny stainless steel that was an afterthought for Colt, became very expensive because they were less common than the 20 years of Royal Blue ones.

Now comes the new Colt Python of 2020. They will attract some of the buyers that were considering an old one, because they are cheaper. Especially for a stainless steel one (item #3 above). There will be fewer buyers of old ones (item #2 above), so prices will go down. If someone could find an older Python in the same price range as the new, the old ones will still sell. Very mint in box old ones will stop going up, but may stick. Shooter quality ones will go down to about the price of the new Pythons.

By "go down" I mean slightly for shooters, more for 1980s-1990s ones, especially Stainless. This is only because they were overpriced the past 10 years. There are many comparisons to think about. Did the WWII 1911A1s go down when Colt and others started replicating them? Did original Winchester 1873, 1886, 1895 rifles go down with replicas and remakes started about 30 years ago? Did S&W model 27 and 19 go down when they reintroduced the "classic" line of them. Answer in all cases is "no."

This is my prediction, for posterity.
    Last edited by azshot; 01-11-2020 at 05:27 AM.
    WVCOLT, rock185, Joespapa and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    If the new Gen Pythons were being built using the same tooling and machines, being hand fitted and using the same quality bluing... Then agree 100% with your speculation.

But these new Gen ones are not the same Pythons... Not even close. Completely different action, different frame, different sights, different trigger and hammer and they have ugly qr codes and SN in horrible places. They seem to be a well built revolver with Colt Python stamped on it but if you're a collector wanting a true Python and the reasons behind why it is so special... Buying one of the new ones is not going to fill that ticket.

Most people buying and collecting Pythons today for the reasons I mentioned above, especially those willing to spend the premium on them like they been... Are not going to be satisfied with putting a the new Gen in the safe and calling it a collectable Python.

These new ones are going to be bought for the most part to shoot... And shoot a bunch. No one buys a collector Python (NIB or LNIB) to take it out and go shoot it a bunch at the range.

I don't see NIB or LNIB original Pythons taking any hit outside of the drop that's already happened. Shooter grade Pythons might take a hit but they are already at $1600-2200 range anyway. The new Gen Pythons are selling for $1600+ already.

Given a choice, I bet most Python collectors would take a well cared for older shooter Python over a new Gen if both were $1600.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Going to be interesting to say the least. I still see some of these being socked away to collect. The demand vacuum left behind from the long absence is too great and there is a whole different generation of wheel gun and python lovers around.

I love Smiths as much as Colt and have a pile of them, all P&R mostly. Cant really compare the Smith classic line and its lack of driving down the price on the old ones because it seems Smith really missed the mark with them having sleeved 2 piece barrels and that heinous lock. I would have bought several out of that line instead of the more expensive vintage ones I ended up buying
    Last edited by COLONELCOLT; 01-02-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    WVCOLT, TTSH, ohr61 and 1 others like this.
    Member of the Holy Cult of the Hartford Horsey
    God created man-Col. Colt made them equal
    "The glock is a conscript's weapon...and is of no interest to the serious pistolero..." Col. Jeff Cooper

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    Any prediction is valid given that’s what it is! I have a ‘70 Challenger R/T that I’ve had for 26 years. I wondered what would happen to prices when Chrysler brought out the “retro” Challenger in 2010. Well, some interesting things happened. Although the new Challenger was nice, it really didn’t look like the old one. However, it was close enough that a younger generation started looking into the older Challengers as well as the new ones. As a result, I get a lot of young folk checking out the car at car shows...

So, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see younger folk buying the 2020 Python then finding out that they would also want to have an original as well...

Guess we’ll find out!
    WVCOLT, MarkInTx, bczadnm and 3 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4804 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimert70 View Post
    Any prediction is valid given that’s what it is! I have a ‘70 Challenger R/T that I’ve had for 26 years. I wondered what would happen to prices when Chrysler brought out the “retro” Challenger in 2010. Well, some interesting things happened. Although the new Challenger was nice, it really didn’t look like the old one. However, it was close enough that a younger generation started looking into the older Challengers as well as the new ones. As a result, I get a lot of young folk checking out the car at car shows...

So, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see younger folk buying the 2020 Python then finding out that they would also want to have an original as well...

Guess we’ll find out!
    You know I never looked at it that way whatsoever. But makes perfectly good sense.
    bczadnm, sublimert70 and ohr61 like this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    10753 times
    There are Pythons, and there are Pythons - these aren't, because a big part of the mystique is the hand-fitted action of the old ones, and that will be the delineator.

These will be 'Python-marked' shooters, but like the new Cobra, these will be what they are, and that won't appeal to the purist.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4804 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    There are Pythons, and there are Pythons - these aren't, because a big part of the mystique is the hand-fitted action of the old ones, and that will be the delineator.

These will be 'Python-marked' shooters, but like the new Cobra, these will be what they are, and that won't appeal to the purist.
    Very valid point my forum friend. ^^^^
    mafd2 likes this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4804 times
    IMHO if you own a truly NIB older Colt Python you have lost no value. And if you are like me >>> Does it really matter if you are never going to sell it anyway ??? I don't think so.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    How can this drop in value?102.jpg
    WVCOLT, Hootch56, binggo and 15 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4804 times
    Quote Originally Posted by toucan View Post
    How can this drop in value?102.jpg
    NO WAY IN H**L !!!!!!!! Fantastic looking Python my forum friend !!!!!!
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links