2020 Python Reports
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: 2020 Python Reports

Member #
    Liked
    293 times
    runscott,

the pictured Python was shot with about 7,000 to 8,000 .38 Special and well over a thousand .357 Magnum loads and the timing is excellent. The gun is still in my safe but I had gifted it to my son when he graduated Dallas Police academy. Out of the three dozen, or so, revolvers I own, I mostly am shooting a 1969 Korth, a 1971 Korth and a 1952 S&W K-22. Personal preference leads to personal choices.

This one is a little too nice for even me to haul it to the range:

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4630 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
    runscott,

the pictured Python was shot with about 7,000 to 8,000 .38 Special and well over a thousand .357 Magnum loads and the timing is excellent. The gun is still in my safe but I had gifted it to my son when he graduated Dallas Police academy. Out of the three dozen, or so, revolvers I own, I mostly am shooting a 1969 Korth, a 1971 Korth and a 1952 S&W K-22. Personal preference leads to personal choices.

This one is a little too nice for even me to haul it to the range:

What a sweet Python. And thanks for sharing it with us all here.
    68python and WilliamMunny like this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SnidelyWhiplash View Post
    As far as the cost differences between the Python and the S&W 686...I'd like to see the difference in costs between making a barrel with a solid rib and a ventilated rib...the added machining and labor time involved. Using a barrel with a 1:14" rate of twist probably costs more than the more standard 1:18" rate of twist. Manufacturing a tapering bore costs more. Sales projections that are likely lower than what S&W sees also increases unit costs. Using bar stock and forged parts costs more than MIM. Using union cable adds costs.

There are reasons why the Python costs more than the S&W. Some will consider the reasons worth the extra cost...some won't. It's what a free market is all about...choice.
    All this makes perfect sense. Again, I get that the 686 isn't a valid comparison to the Python; however, that's what a lot of law enforcement officers did and if the added price back then was due to the features you mention, and shooters weren't able to justify it, it makes sense that that is still the case with the new Python...but the 'Python' name and its re-emergence should handle the additional $$$. I've taken out my old S&W .357 and my 686-6, sitting them side-by-side with my 1970 Python, many times. I could tell you my personal observations, what I liked and didn't, what didn't matter, etc., but I guess that's another discussion and it's mostly personal preferences. One thing is for sure, the blueing/polishing on the old Python is as good as it gets. The only issue with this one is a touch of muzzle wear, but it does get out to the range every now and then. I'm hoping to take it and the S&W .357 out to the range today.

XXX10-2.jpg
    Last edited by runscott; 01-11-2020 at 12:17 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2068 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
    runscott,

the pictured Python was shot with about 7,000 to 8,000 .38 Special and well over a thousand .357 Magnum loads and the timing is excellent. .

But but , You are not following the Narrative/ Talking Points !
    WVCOLT and skwcoltguy like this.
    Colt snubbies rule.
    Life's too short to carry an ugly firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Range Report:
    Dry fired (with snap caps) approximately 500 times prior to first range session.
    Rain here has been insane, so I was forced to go to an indoor range.🙁

Fired 100 rounds of Geco 38 special 158 grain. Ran 100% with this round.

After that, fired 24 rounds of Armscor 357 mag 158 grain. I had one light strike on the primer. It fired on the second strike, though.

I ran out of time on my one-hour session, so further evaluation will have to wait until another day.

Besides the one light strike, the gun has met my high expectations for it. Accuracy. Trigger, etc is all what it should be.

It will be interesting to see if it has light strike problems with other brands of 357 magnum. Time will tell....
    toucan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    293 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 68python View Post
    But but , You are not following the Narrative/ Talking Points !
    Of course not! Nice guns always excite me to the point were I get emotional and am loosing my abilities to focus.
    runscott and 68python like this.

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    I understand the excitement. I think it's great that old guys like me can still get excited about these things. I'm very excited about the new Python and dying to shoot one, but it will be a while. Meanwhile, looking forward to hearing from more people who take an old one and a new one to the range and reports back with a firing comparison. I took my 1970 to the range yesterday and tried different distances, SA vs DA, .38 special vs .357. It was all great, as always. Unfortunately, when I dropped by the gun shop attached to the range, they said they didn't know when they would get any 2020 Pythons, and they don't keep waiting lists. So I'll be inconveniently buying mine elsewhere.
    Uplander likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1390 times
    Quote Originally Posted by desron6 View Post
    Too bad they can’t relocate to the state which got Sam’s grand old company up & running, Texas.
    New Jersey?
    Kurusu likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    New Range Report:

Shot 280 rounds through the 2020 Python today:
    50 rounds Federal Champion 158gr 357
    130 rounds Geco 158 gr 357
    100 rounds Geco 158 gr 38 sp.

About 24 hrs prior to the range visit, I made sure that all the screws were tight & applied Loctite 222 to the threads.

Only failures were 3 light strikes on the Geco 357 magnum. Two of the primers iginited on the 2nd try. The 3rd would not ignite after several tries. Dud round, IMO.

No issues with the cylinder & the screws were still tight after the session.

So total now is 404 rounds. 204 of 357 & 200 of 38.

I think this is an expert’s gun. It is a little finicky when it gets dirty, but that’s gonna happen with precision fitting. What a dream to shoot. Absolute tack driver. Such a joy. Pic with classic grips...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    As I posted in another thread, I bought my 4.25" a few weeks ago. Absolutely no problems at all.

However, I did follow the advice on this forum and take a look at the screws. The prominent screw on the frame was loose and so was one under the hand grips. Used the purple loctite.

Pretty easy fix and I appreciate the recommendation from those on this board. Probably prevented a future problem. Seems like a pretty easy thing to check before shipping though.
    BusaDave likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links